Team Summit update thread!

are they going to charge an extra $5/month fee to use the Dish branded Sirius receiver? and act like it is considered an extra receiver beyond the first.

mini1 said:
are they going to charge an extra $5/month fee to use the Dish branded Sirius receiver? and act like it is considered an extra receiver beyond the first.

And then will they require it to be connected to a phone line? I hope they provide a REALLY LONG phone cord with it :p

Hey guys, I am writing this from the show floor. :)

Just met and talked with Joe Clayton of Sirius, real nice guy. He says don't expect any Sirius talk stations on Dish Network.

Got to say hi to Charlie a little earlier. Got some great pics coming when I get back to my room.

Looks nifty. Eventually they will probably implement these into cell phones. I think we will also eventually see GPS with the satellite radio in cell phones. Also it would be nice if they would implement satellite radio into the new portable DVR they are coming out with.

Stargazer said:
Looks nifty. Eventually they will probably implement these into cell phones. I think we will also eventually see GPS with the satellite radio in cell phones. Also it would be nice if they would implement satellite radio into the new portable DVR they are coming out with.
Lots of cellphones already have GPS as part of the E-911 locator mandate. Yeah, that's right, call 911 and your location is transmitted directly to the dispatcher. Some of these same phones allow user access to the GPS data, others do not for some reason.

Maybe this is the best place to post this question, since the guys attending Team Summit might know before anyone else... I notice on the Dish Network software versions page a new unit called a DP351. What in the world could that be? If previous numbering conventions are in effect, it would be a DishPlayer DVR based on the 3xx product line, with five tuners and output to 1 TV?

More from Team Summit 2004! (Including photos)

Greetings from Dallas, where it is late. I just got off the exhibit hall floor and I saw a lot tonight!

The night started off with a Welcome Assembly which was supposed to be an opening address from Joe Clayton, the CEO of Sirius, however instead we were treated to a fun concert, including a surprise visit by William Hung of American Idle fame, he sang (if you can call it that) She Bang and YMCA. Hey the guy can't sing and thats what makes him fun, the entire place was doing the YMCA.

Joe Clayton then told everyone in attendence that he would give them a Sirius Radio if people did 3 things (Go to the Sirius Display, See him Speak tommorow, and go to a Sirius Sales class) I plan on attending all 3 to get my Sirius radio. :)

Next out came Vince Gill who played for over an hour. I am not a country fan so I did not know any of his songs, however with that said he did put on a good show.

From there we went exibit hall for the Tech Expo, saw a lot of neat things here, including a demo of the upcoming Dishplayer DVR 942 (Yes I said 942) the 942 is a dual tuner / dual output DVR with 1 High Definition Output and 1 Standard Definition Output for a second TV.

I got to talk with Joe Clayton, very nice guy, he was very open yet you could tell he was strict, I respect that. Mr Clayton posed for pictures for me.

We got a special look at some upcoming Dish Network concepts. These concepts included items like Video On Demand and a Mp3 Jukebox. While they had working demos of the concepts they have a way to go, and they know this. I was kind of neat seeing some of the possible technology coming down the line. These ideas may never see the light of day, but they definately have some great ideas brewing.

We also got to see a shipping version of the DishPro Plus 44 Switch. The DPP+44 looks a little different then the version we saw in Baltimore, this one has big heat fins to cool it off, it also has a power inserter (although this power inserter is a lot better designed then the power supply from the SW 64 switch) we were also shown the DP+44 seperator, which is used if you run one cable to a DishPro Plus compatable receiver such as a 522, 721 or 921. This seperator looks like a splitter (BUT ITS NOT A SPLITTER) and takes the one wire and makes it into two which plugs into each output on your receiver.

I also got to talk to Mark Jackson and I asked him about the OTA guide on the 921, I asked him if the OTA guide data would only be available for those who live in cities where Dish offers locals. The answer I got was that the guide data for those who live in cities where Dish offers locals will be MUCH more accurate then those who do not have locals available. Things like Prime Time shows will be displayed correctly in the guide however the rest of the schedule may be a crap shoot. You will be able to get your OTA guide data listings by inputing your zip code.

I also got to speak with Dan Minnick who helped co host the last Tech chat, we talked on a bunch of issues. We talked about the 721, 921, 942 and other items. I told Mark and Dan that they did a great job on the last tech chat. They have been happy with the feedback they received with that chat. Let's hope they keep the tech chat's as tech chats and not hour long marketing shows. :)

I also spoke with Leslie Harper (they lady from Channel 101 fame and also as seen on BingoTV) When Leslie saw me she actually yelled at me (in a fun way) and wanted to squish a rumor that has been going around. Leslie is NOT Ashley's (from BingoTV) mother. Infact Leslie told me that Ashley and her are only 1 years apart in age. (I still say they look like they are related even though they are not) :) Leslie said she frequently reads SatelliteGuys. Shes a real sweethart and a friendly person, and shes a sharp cookie, ask he any Dish technical question and she has the answer.

Tommorow morning there will be a general assembly with Charlie and Jim, I am looking forward to that!

More tommorow!

Now here are some photos from Tonight! Enjoy!!

Attachments

• vincegill1.jpg
    vincegill1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 565
  • williamhong.jpg
    williamhong.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 776
  • joe_clayton.jpg
    joe_clayton.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 551
  • joe_clayton2.jpg
    joe_clayton2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 385
  • dpp44.jpg
    dpp44.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 771
  • dpp44pi.jpg
    dpp44pi.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 744
  • 942front.jpg
    942front.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,675
  • 942back.jpg
    942back.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,735
  • maryann.jpg
    maryann.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 662
  • wwe.jpg
    wwe.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 736
  • tntbooth.jpg
    tntbooth.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 547
  • siriusradio1.jpg
    siriusradio1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 655
  • sirusradio2.jpg
    sirusradio2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 668
  • thepig.jpg
    thepig.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 462
  • markjackson.jpg
    markjackson.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 607
  • leslie_scott.jpg
    leslie_scott.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 900
Pepper said:
Maybe this is the best place to post this question, since the guys attending Team Summit might know before anyone else... I notice on the Dish Network software versions page a new unit called a DP351. What in the world could that be? If previous numbering conventions are in effect, it would be a DishPlayer DVR based on the 3xx product line, with five tuners and output to 1 TV?

The DP351 is a newer version of QAM Model 3800 which is used for MDUs to set up and distribute channels through their own cable system

Scott Greczkowski said:
I also got to talk to Mark Jackson and I asked him about the OTA guide on the 921, I asked him if the OTA guide data would only be available for those who live in cities where Dish offers locals. The answer I got was that the guide data for those who live in cities where Dish offers locals will be MUCH more accurate then those who do not have locals available. Things like Prime Time shows will be displayed correctly in the guide however the rest of the schedule may be a crap shoot. You will be able to get your OTA guide data listings by inputing your zip code.[/color]

Any word on whether they will be able to port this OTA guide info to the 811?

SimpleSimon said:
Lots of cellphones already have GPS as part of the E-911 locator mandate. Yeah, that's right, call 911 and your location is transmitted directly to the dispatcher. Some of these same phones allow user access to the GPS data, others do not for some reason.

It's also how the government tracks your movement. :)

All joking aside... it is certainly technically feasible, and with the carte blanche power the government has with the Patriot Act, you just never know.

Gotta go... there is a tear in my tin foil hat.

GPS = Gov't Positioning Service?

I thought of this last night, how long before GPS is in your reciever... track hackers and "movers".??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)