Team Summit update thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
What's with the mp3 storage screens......? Is this giving us the ability to record songs off of Sirius individually (I can't see the RIAA going along with THAT!) Or is this a way to import music off of our computers and play them through the recivers (maybe via the USB storage screen).

Jeez E*..... gimme these features via a software download to my 921 and make us forget about that whole Dishwire debacle. OK, maybe not, but it WILL ease the pain a tad....

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish has NO PLANS to offer external storage for any of its DVR units, EXCEPT for a new product coming out called DishPod. The Dishpod is a TV which can download shows and is portable and uses batteries. With it you can plug the unit into your DVR's USB ports and download shows to the unit, you can then take the unit with you and watch TV whereever.

So you're saying the 942 will have a (functional) USB port?

If you can put your mp3's onto the satellite receivers then this means that multiple rooms would be able to access them from that one hard drive, a shared media center.

well kwagr is right. A typical SD channel will only take about 300kb/s, and an HD channel about 2.5MB/s. So even if you're recording 2 HD channels at once and watching another HD prerecorded event, you still have plenty of bandwidth to spare...even with USB 2.0.

SimpleSimon said:
Ya - really. What's the big hoo-hah difference between PPV and VOD other than getting a start-time a little closer to "now"?

If so, it's just another waste of bandwidth that could be used for HDTV, especially considering how many DVRs are hitting the field - even 30 minute starts won't really be needed much longer.

yep, let's take PPV down to 1 chan/movie and squeeze in another HD or two (or three).

Forget the VOD (glorified PPV). Though the advantage to Dish and MPAA is that unlike a recorded PPV, the viewing time is limited. Perhaps the movies on VOD will be newer then PPV (and dare I say HD).

I don't understand why Dish might use USB2 but not Firewire. What is different about USB2? Isn't USB used more for adding peripherals rather than transferring data?

FireWire is faster but USB 2.0 is the direction of the near-future for fast-transfer storage devices. This is probably because you see more USB 2.0 jacks standard on PCs than IEEE1394 (FireWire) jacks. But either way, a working USB 2.0 or FireWire jack would be a nice feature for the DVR-hungry. :D

Also the comparison of Firewire to USB 2.0 is based on existing USB external hard drives that may have been updated to a USB 2.0 chipset, but not necessarily optimized for full use of the USB 2.0 specification.

Firewire has existed longer, but beyond the Macintosh has had limited penetration into the PC market. Currently all recent motherboards released from the top manufacturers have USB 2.0 as a standard. Some have "optional" 1394 adapters, or optional PCI cards.

Many Sony Camcorders and other manufacturers are now being released with a USB 2.0 interface for digital video editing on PC's and Mac's. Since Mac's have USB as well, this ubiquitous interface looks like it will eventually edge out IEEE 1394 as a "most used" standard. Even if there are arguments over 1394's superiority, the availability of the USB 2.0 interface will be a factor. Remember that Beta-MAX was superior to VHS, but the shear market penetration of VHS caused the Beta-MAX format to be relegated to Professional use (hence the Beta-MAX video cameras used by may News agencies previously).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Firewire doesn't work over distances longer that a few meters, is the same true of USB2?

Unthinkable said:
No way are they all deserved. In all seriousness, you tend to get so carried away with the Dish bashing that you throw more low blows then Andrew Golota in a match against Riddick Bowe. Some of the stuff you post is so out of left field and so trivial that its unbelievable. Somethings amiss when innocent threads everywhere are being trainwrecked with talk about how Dish couldn't even get their demo trucks setup properly. Talk about trivial and just complaining for the sake of complaining alone. Don't take this the wrong way, but I get the sense from your posts that you aren't one to ever really express much in the way of gratitude or thanks when Dish does do great things for customers everywhere. Please don't fall into the same trap others have done previously where overwhelming negativity turns to senseless rage and hate in every mentioning of Dish clouding all semblances of objectivity to the point of no return.

(Darth Vader voice) YESSSS! Let your hate and rage flow through you. It will make you more powerful than you have ever imagined! Come join me on the dark side........

Jeez.... I "hate" to bash a man who has a Mets logo as his avatar (like me, a fellow fan, he has suffered enough), BUT he is being added to ignore lists rapidly as we speak......

I remember reading in a research report that intel builds USB 2.0 support chipsets right onto to mother-board. I am not all that technical but I remember that 2.0 was to become more widely adopted because of the high royalties of Apple's Firewire technology.

You know guys/gals we can go on and on with the USB 2.0 v.s. Fireware topic until hell freezes over. I thinks what's more imortant then which technology is better or worse, is what will the providers use the technology for. The providers can add all sort of ports on thier units, but maybe they are for, as Charlie says, "For future use." 921 ring bells?

WJMorales said:
You know guys/gals we can go on and on with the USB 2.0 v.s. Fireware topic until hell freezes over. I thinks what's more imortant then which technology is better or worse, is what will the providers use the technology for. The providers can add all sort of ports on thier units, but maybe they are for, as Charlie says, "For future use." 921 ring bells?

That's just the point. Charlie has killed the "future use" of Firewire on the 921, so why now is USB okay. Is it the licensing fee on Firewire? Can USB do more? I know many think these extra ports may never be used, but they said the same about the extra bays in the 6000, and those are being used ( although more for Dish's benefit than ours).

I'm just saying that the discussion is not about which is better, FW or USB, but why USB.

Scott Greczkowski said:
There will never be a thing like a "Super" Super Dish which can pick up 110 119, 121 and 105.
I haven't gotten a real good up-close look at a SuperDish, but I always wondered if you could take the FSS/DBS combo heads from the two varieties and put them on one SuperDish. It must not be possible if Dish says no 4-sat SuperDish. Maybe it's too hard to get all four LNBs aligned.

So I gather the "official" solution for a customer who wants Locals and Internationals is always going to be a two-dish solution, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts