Team Summit update thread!

Mainstreet said:
True, the real estate is, but the content isn't. DISH has specifically stated all along that part of it is to be reserved for their use. It's the same as you owning the box, but the software can be modified, and updated. If you don't want them using their reserved space, you still have the option to not use the receiver.
Yeah, I know. Still sucks.

I cheated I used to live in PR. I had a 1.6 for 119 meter and a 1.2 meter 110. Now here is a tough one for you Scott. I brought those dish over when I moved to IL, can I use any of them for getting signal from let's say 121, 119, 10, 105 here in IL?

WJMorales said:
I cheated I used to live in PR. I had a 1.6 for 119 meter and a 1.2 meter 110. Now here is a tough one for you Scott. I brought those dish over when I moved to IL, can I use any of them for getting signal from let's say 121, 119, 10, 105 here in IL?
Yes, it oughta work - but we're off-topic now. Might I suggest you start another thread for this question.

As long as they don't override one of my timers to download something onto "their" portion of the hard drive I am OK with it. If I had a two-tuner unit like the 721 I could almost justify it. With my single tuner 508 and all the recording I do at all hours of the day I don't see how it's going to work.

What it all means?

Stargazer said:
I see a lot of new things that I would not have suspected to see for a while, although many of these things we may never see, but it is nice to see that it is very possible and that there is a chance of many of these new technological things to come in the future. Perhaps Dish is wanting to find new technological things that cable does not have to compete better as well as reduce churn.
From looking at the pictures, Dish may be testing the waters for future entrance of the "Media Center" in competition of Microsoft, Tivo Media Center (whatever it's called), Hacked XBox, etc. It would turn their receivers into Multimedia centers for the living room with pictures, music, movies on demand, TV, satellite, external storage, blah blah.

GaryPen said:
But, most of mine are tongue in cheek. And...they were all deserved.
No way are they all deserved. In all seriousness, you tend to get so carried away with the Dish bashing that you throw more low blows then Andrew Golota in a match against Riddick Bowe. Some of the stuff you post is so out of left field and so trivial that its unbelievable. Somethings amiss when innocent threads everywhere are being trainwrecked with talk about how Dish couldn't even get their demo trucks setup properly. Talk about trivial and just complaining for the sake of complaining alone. Don't take this the wrong way, but I get the sense from your posts that you aren't one to ever really express much in the way of gratitude or thanks when Dish does do great things for customers everywhere. Please don't fall into the same trap others have done previously where overwhelming negativity turns to senseless rage and hate in every mentioning of Dish clouding all semblances of objectivity to the point of no return.

GaryPen said:
Can USB transfer data fast enough?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/jones/02august05.asp

But now there’s a new version of USB, USB 2.0, with a hefty 480 Mbps data transfer rate, making it faster than IEEE 1394 (FireWire), and earning it the nickname Hi-Speed USB. USB devices have always operated at either 12 Mbps (for full-speed devices) or a mere 1.5 Mbps (for devices with lower bandwidth needs). USB 2.0 lets you use more of those devices at once and also adds a new speed, which can use the entire 480 Mbps bandwidth that USB 2.0 provides for Hi-Speed devices. Such high speeds are critical in bandwidth-hungry applications like mass storage devices, although not all devices are capable of running at 480 Mbps. For example, your USB 2.0 mouse is still a low speed device and is probably running at only 1 Mbps, but your USB 2.0 Hi-Speed CD-RW can take advantage of the new USB 2.0 high speeds and burn CDs much faster.

that's all in theory, no way usb 2.0 reaches 60MB/s.

http://www.computervideogear.com/digital_video_capture_card/firewire-vs-usb.htm

Question: FireWire or USB 2.0, which is faster?

Answer: FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.

Question: Hold on...USB 2.0 is a 480 Mbps interface and FireWire is a 400 Mbps interface, how can FireWire be faster?

Answer: Raw throughput rating numbers alone don't tell the whole story, as explained below.

The throughput numbers would lead you to believe that USB 2.0 provides better performance. But, differences in the architecture of the two interfaces have a huge impact on the actual sustained "real world" throughput. And for those seeking high-performance, sustained throughput is what it's all about (reading and writing files to an external hard drive for example).

Architecture - FireWire vs. USB 2.0
  • FireWire, built from the ground up for speed, uses a "Peer-to-Peer" architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer

• USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture in which the computer handles all arbitration functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the attached peripherals (adding additional system overhead and resulting in slower, less-efficient data flow control)​
Performance Comparison - FireWire vs. USB 2.0 Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire and then USB 2.0 show:

Read Test:
  • 5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
  • 160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0
Write Test:
  • 5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
  • 160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)