Team Summit update thread!

David_Levin said:
If it's literally what you said, it will not record HD. So you'd be taunting people with the SD DVR by not letting them record their favorite shows.

Why in the heck not?

The 811 is based on a Broadcom chipset family that can have IDE added via a PCI->IDE addon....

Example Here:

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/7020-PB08-403-R.pdf

The HD or SD feed from the Sat is just an MPEG2 data stream (one faster than the other!), which only needs to be saved to (or read from) disk? So what's the issue?

It's entirely plausible to make a dual output (one HD, one SD) and just either scale the HD down to SD (for a recorded HD show - or restrict the viewing of HD to the HD display out only), and allow the HD output to be sourced from HD or SD material.

Seems like a pretty darn good idea to me.... But I'll await more details on the "intention" of the device.... perhaps "Scooter" can find out more from the show floor?

"Scooter" :D

If you can, can you find out about the 811 "dark" video issues from people in the know...

Is it

a) purely Hardware, that Software can fix,
b) Different Hardware that software 'might' fix,
c) entirely Software (getting the right mix and understanding of the hardware operation),
d) Fixed as far as Dish Engineering is concerned? (I HOPE NOT!).

Enquiring minds would like to know!!

WeeJavaDude said:
That is not true... I have bashed Dish occasionally.. Just not on the frequency that you do. :D But then again, that is a hard feat to match. I can only think of one other person that surpasses even your dig count.. VROOMMMMMM!!!!

But, most of mine are tongue in cheek. And...they were all deserved.
On the plus side:
I think the Sirius and TNT-HD stuff is great. One or two more HD channels, and the HD Pack will finally have some value. If the executive personnel changes lead to a real shakeup in Dish's strategy and implementation, I'd be very happy. I'd rather not switch, if I don't have to. OTOH, I'll switch in a NY second, if they don't clean up their act.

GaryPen said:
But, most of mine are tongue in cheek. And...they were all deserved.
On the plus side:
I think the Sirius and TNT-HD stuff is great. One or two more HD channels, and the HD Pack will finally have some value. If the executive personnel changes lead to a real shakeup in Dish's strategy and implementation, I'd be very happy. I'd rather not switch, if I don't have to. OTOH, I'll switch in a NY second, if they don't clean up their act.

Never said they were not deserved. Not sure if I would go as far as to say they were all deserved though. ;)

For what it is worth here from the info that Scott posted and the name being 942, I still suspect that it will have 2 satellite Tuners and 2 ota tuners. TV-1 out will be for an HDTV and all programs recorded or live off of either the ota tuner's or either of the satellite tuners in HD or SD will only be accessed through the TV-1 output. TV-2 out will go to a 2nd or more SDTV's and will be able to access all SD programing only live or recorded from either the 2 ota tuners or the 2 satellite tuners. Hopefully Scott or someone at Team Summit can verify if I am correct or not in my assumptions.

Will the SD side be able to tune in the HD programming downresed to 480p? As long as you are paying for that HD pack you should be able to watch those programs from all of your TVs, even if they are SD only.

SimpleSimon said:
Multiple answers...

E-911: DLS - you're right - there's 2 ways to comply, and E-911 itself has been around for a long time - it actually started as kind of an enhanced caller ID. 911 calls from cell phones became a huge problem - which is the subject at hand.

GPS: One of the greatest things our tax dollars have given the consumer. Just like anything else, it can be misused. [rant]Let's outlaw hammers, forks and bottles - after all, you can kill someone with them - oh yeah, pantyhose, duct tape and rocks, too.[/rant]

Yes, a GPS has trouble working indoors (but not always - it depends on the building). I will speculate that the GPS in a phone remembers it's last known position and transmits that for a 911 call. BTW, last night's CSI was relevant - part of the story line was tracking a GPS-equipped phone even without a 911 call. Dunno if that can actually be done by the police (not technologically, but if they're set up to do it). The NSA/CIA/FBI can probably do it. I can see a new CSI story line - someone deliberately blocks the GPS then calls 911 and everyone rushes to the wrong place. :D

In another work life I was a dispatcher for the California Highway Patrol. The CHP is the PSAP for cellular 911 calls and it was always a source of frustration when we got a real emergency call and the caller didn't know where he was. Many of the calls were just for traffic conditions or directions and that was even MORE frustrating :no

Friday Update from Team Summit

[I POSTED THIS EARLIER BUT IT GOT LOST IN THE SHUFFLE. SO TO MAKE THINGS EASIER I AM REPOSTING IT HERE. PICTURES ARE COMING]

Hey gang,

It's Scott reporting again LIVE from the floor of the Team Summit Tech Expo. It has been a great day, I will report more when I get back to my hotel room.

I was lucky and got one of the first Sirius / Dish Network Radios this morning. I ran into Joe Clayton who I guess reads SatelliteGuys, as he told me how surprised he was I got the pictures on so fast last night.

I got to meet the BingoTV girls and boy did they have an earfull for SatelliteGuys members. :) Wait until you see the photo they gave me to post for all SatelliteGuys members to see. I will try taking a picture of it later, but I will need to scan it in for the full effect. ;) (Hey Rolltide Ashley wanted your number but unfortunately I didn't have it.... JUST KIDDING)

Got to meet Dawn Wells from Gilligans Island and she was a real sweetheart. Pictures will be posted later. :) Hey Dad... I got Dawn to sign a picture for you. Thanks for watching the kids.

The 942 is basicly a 811 and 510 combined together. I actually think its a silly concept but Charlie Ergen said that when the 942 is released the price will surprise a lot of folks.

The 942 will also introduce a new technology which will allow the 942 to talk to other devices plugged into the power line, this technology will allow new boxes to talk to each other over the power lines. The big plus for this is you will only need to plug in one of your receivers to a phone line.

Also using this technology will be a special plug in box which will plug in to the power and you can plug it into your stereo or powered speakers. This will allow you to listen to Sirius with no wires.

That sounds like some very promising technology.

As I noted I was on the money for the launuch of TNT-HD, I feel good about that. No other programming announcements were made.

For those who are exisiting customers and want a 322, 522 or 811 good news, they will soon be available to you, the bad news is they will only be available on lease. They STILL won't be for sale.

Also customers who are looking to return to Dish Network are also in luck, DHA will be made available to them in August. No word if the $25 come back fee will be waived.

Are more Sirius channels coming to Dish? Durring this mornings Dealer meeting with Jim and Charlie, Jim Defranco kept on saying that Sirius would be 65 channels. A few folks I have talked with have said Jim screwed up by saying 65, while others say that a few select Talk channels may make it on Dish after all. However Joe Clayton himself told me last night, that only the Music Channels will be available on Dish.

They announced that a full Smart Card exchange would take place in August / September, with the complete swap out completed by 2005.

Dish will be selling some real nice looking LCD monitors, they will be available in 30" and 40" sizes, I will have pictures of these monitors later on. These monitors are NOT made by RCA and look REAL good!

I got to play with some of the new technologies in devolopment including name based recording, and let me tell you name based recording is SWEET and from the demo machine I played with it works well.

Well thats it for now. I will report more later and have more photos as well. This is Scott signing off for now LIVE from the floor of Team Summit!

Thanks for visiting SatelliteGuys!

how was name based recording? did it have some sort of season pass feature? was it able to detect reruns? comparisons to tivo would be nice.

everything sounds great and a lot of fun. enjoy.

Name based recordings is going to ROCK. Yes it detects reruns.

I am working on formatting the pictures for the site now, they should be online within an hour or so. :)

Got LOTS to post.

Scott,

I'm looking forward to the pictures from today/tonight. Thanks for feeding us Dish-junkies the latest and greatest from the Summit!

You said the 942 was like a 811 married to a 510, but wouldn't it be fairer to say a 522 instead of a 510? Has there been anything said about the size of the hard drive?

You guys crack me up. All you know is the model number and you've seen a couple of pictures and already you have complaints.

Everybody just wants to be prepared. This way we'll have a whole list of complaints ready to go when the product is finally released. It saves a lot of time.
:)

Ok folks here are some photos from Team Summit. You will see a few interesting things. :)

For those who have no idea what your looking at I do plan on explaining things better when I can.

For those of you who have technical questions about new products I will be starting a special thread, I will take your questions to the Dish folks tommorow for them to answer. :)

Attachments

• scott_dawnwells.jpg
    scott_dawnwells.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,001
  • scott_jimdefranco.jpg
    scott_jimdefranco.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 325
  • scott_bingotv.jpg
    scott_bingotv.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 399
  • scott_bingotv2.jpg
    scott_bingotv2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 331
  • Dish_LCD_HD_MONITOR.jpg
    Dish_LCD_HD_MONITOR.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 341
  • dish_comm1.jpg
    dish_comm1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 351
  • dish_comm2.jpg
    dish_comm2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 347
  • pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 220
  • vod.jpg
    vod.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 312
  • dish_vod1.jpg
    dish_vod1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 347
  • vod2.jpg
    vod2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 295
  • vod3.jpg
    vod3.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 265
  • vod4.jpg
    vod4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 276
  • namebased1.jpg
    namebased1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 271
  • mp3_concept1.jpg
    mp3_concept1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 325
  • mp3_concept2.jpg
    mp3_concept2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 274
  • mp3_concept3.jpg
    mp3_concept3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 217
  • mp3_concept4.jpg
    mp3_concept4.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 238
  • mp3_concept5.jpg
    mp3_concept5.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 220
  • mp3_concept6.jpg
    mp3_concept6.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 279
  • helpcenter.jpg
    helpcenter.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 319
  • siriuscar.jpg
    siriuscar.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 256
  • siriusdog.jpg
    siriusdog.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 168
  • siriustruck.jpg
    siriustruck.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 202
Scott: How would compare the vibe compared to previous dealer cons? Does it seem like Dish is on a new direction, on the right track? Or, does it feel like the same old sh*t of promised hw that might take forever to release, if at all, and not work when it does? I really hope it's the former. They really have such amazing potential. I'd love to see them exploit it to its fullest.

Wow those are great pictures, keep em coming. Rolltide will really like 2 of those pics ;) The VOD display is really interesting... Is this something that will only work with DVRS, like sending the movie to the receiver and having it play it. Is Song currently using Dish, I haven't been on a flight since they got the TVs? I'm sure you'll tell us more

Whoops I posted these to the wrong thread. :)

So here they are.

I will be starting a special thread for your technical questions which I will try to get as many as I can addressed by the Dish Guys tommorow. :)

I will also be doing some explaining of the photos when I get back, so I can tell you better what your looking at. There is some cool stuff but they just need to be explained better. :D

Anyways enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• scott_dawnwells.jpg
    scott_dawnwells.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 280
  • scott_jimdefranco.jpg
    scott_jimdefranco.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 225
  • scott_bingotv.jpg
    scott_bingotv.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 310
  • scott_bingotv2.jpg
    scott_bingotv2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 234
  • Dish_LCD_HD_MONITOR.jpg
    Dish_LCD_HD_MONITOR.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 266
  • dish_comm1.jpg
    dish_comm1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 249
  • dish_comm2.jpg
    dish_comm2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 235
  • vod.jpg
    vod.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 225
  • dish_vod1.jpg
    dish_vod1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 256
  • vod2.jpg
    vod2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 221
  • vod3.jpg
    vod3.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 190
  • vod4.jpg
    vod4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 209
  • mp3_concept1.jpg
    mp3_concept1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 208
  • mp3_concept2.jpg
    mp3_concept2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 205
  • mp3_concept3.jpg
    mp3_concept3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 151
  • mp3_concept4.jpg
    mp3_concept4.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 190
  • mp3_concept5.jpg
    mp3_concept5.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 187
  • mp3_concept6.jpg
    mp3_concept6.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 204
  • namebased1.jpg
    namebased1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 202
  • helpcenter.jpg
    helpcenter.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 232
  • pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 144
  • siriuscar.jpg
    siriuscar.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 136
  • siriusdog.jpg
    siriusdog.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 124
  • siriustruck.jpg
    siriustruck.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 146

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)