Team Summit

First, to stay on subject - I want distants in HD, but provided by someone else so those in White areas can get them.

Now a little off subject... There is no way there is clamor for 3D from more than a few customers. I have seen many surveys as above, and sales have been dismal. I still know many who do not even have HD yet, they may (or may not) have an HD set, but do not have HD service. I know of no one I associate with that has a 3D TV yet. I am very much the one to get the "first" one of any electronic equipment, and I have not felt the need to have 3D, in fact have not been impressed in what I see in the stores. I still see it as a gimmick, nothing more than to show off special effects, I do not see how it lends overall to the betterment of what I am watching (Unlike HD which is a huge overall improvement) And worse, my eyes get fatigued in just the short time watching in the store. And from reading articles, some who have bought a 3D TV only did so because they are the top of line for the manufacturer, with the most controls and settings, and do produce the best HD pictures often.

First, to stay on subject - I want distants in HD, but provided by someone else so those in White areas can get them.

I'd like a timeline for the swap out of WA boxes for newer ones that will free up so much bandwidth for additional HD programming options. It's been discussed here for years as a big constraint on what Dish can deliver to consumers, yet it seems that Dish is in no real hurry to get the ball moving on this.

I'd like a timeline for the swap out of WA boxes for newer ones that will free up so much bandwidth for additional HD programming options. It's been discussed here for years as a big constraint on what Dish can deliver to consumers, yet it seems that Dish is in no real hurry to get the ball moving on this.

It isn't the receivers, it is the Satellites. They need to be replaced with MPEG4. Until Dish can do that, there is no rush in exchanging the MPEG2 receivers. However, the TIVO decision, may actually help dish to get the receivers replaced sooner. But that will not free up space until the satellites are replaced.

For that matter, make the second "decoder box" the size of a match box and keep the smarts in the dual tuner receiver itself. You could still send over coax.

Agreed. I hate 3D with a passion. If they start using bandwidth for that, I'll be upset.

Same here. I do not want to sacrifice picture quality just to support 3D. Manufacturers are fooling themselves if they think they can convince people to jump on board and save their companies. They need to invest in something that will make a real difference like 4K on better support of online services/distribution.

Tampa8 said:
It isn't the receivers, it is the Satellites. They need to be replaced with MPEG4. Until Dish can do that, there is no rush in exchanging the MPEG2 receivers. However, the TIVO decision, may actually help dish to get the receivers replaced sooner. But that will not free up space until the satellites are replaced.

The satellites that are up now will work fine with MPEG-4. They do not have to launch new birds in order to have an all MPEG-4 service.

I would like to see Dish only announce features/programming/hardware etc. that they truly feel will be released during the upcoming year, not just pie-in-the-sky dreams, but actually things that are attainable.

After reviewing threads of past TS, it seems like at least 50% of what is announced either never sees the light of day, or is finally released much later, greatly diminished from what was originally "promised". We all get excited when these announcements are made, but it's kinda depressing to read those older threads to remind ourselves of what we were told back then...

I think what most of us want to hear are 3 things. 1) If/when is the Sling extender finally coming out and if it's not, are we going to get a Whole House DVR solution similar to what D*/U-verse has now? 2). When are we going to get HD RSNs 24/7? and 3) What are DISH's plans when it comes to Blockbuster?

All technology starts somewhere. I don't have a 3d TV, nor do any of my friends or relatives. I have the mindset (like most others) that the TV I have now works just fine and I don't plan to replace it until I need to. Its a plasma I purchased in 2005. When I purchase another TV, I will at least give the 3D tv's the time of day to compare prices and such.

As the only person Dish customers "see", I get asked questions, some really stupid ones and some pretty interesting questions. People with 1980's tube TV's with 1 coax input ask what is going on with 3D technology. It's happened more than once. I've never gone into Sams club to see their 3D display unused, but when someone comes home and hops online or makes a phone call to see what their provider has to offer...Comcast offers 3D, UVerse offers 3D, DTV is claiming to be "Leading the 3D TV revolution"...at some point in time, Dish is going to have to hop onto the bandwagon, regardless if a few people on Satguys say no. So, when is it going to happen?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hounded about it or anything like that but I would say it gets asked about as much as DRA.

I have 2 3DTV's and I have both DISH and DIRECTV. I got to be honest I rarely watch any 3D on them, sometimes there may be something on DIRECTV I do check out, but its more of a special thing then a regular thing.

In my house the 3D is used for playing video games, and to me that is where 3D shines. 3D gaming is AMAZING!

Stop with your nonsense, Scott. No one wants 3D tv's. I can't even believe you have a 3D tv in your home, let alone 2. I wouldn't tell those folks at Sat Guys you have any interest in 3d....geesh.
I have up'ed my CSAT score by "checking out" a customers 3D tv for a few brief min at an install, once. He was playing some fighting game (I am not a gamer, at all). It was pretty sweet. BTW, he was interested in Dish's roll in 3d technology.

I personally don't think 3D will be a "everyday, normal" thing like HD is....it would be pretty annoying to watch the news or some reality show in 3D. River Monsters on NatGeo would be sweet though!!! haha.

5 years ago I thought it would be pretty annoying to surf the web on a cell phone, and I do it daily.

The iphone 5 is said to have 3d capability.

Actually 3D adds depth, it's not all about the "pop out or in your face stuff" n3D has some comedy on that is pretty great & 3net has a National Park series that is pretty cool also... the 3D from Directv has increased my view of their programming(& added a new dvr) and reduced my viewing of Dish network programming ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts