Tech Chat Recap 11-10-08

Can the 21.0 learning remote be used to control my 622s? I would like to control the TVs (Samsung and Ölevia HDTVs) with the Dish remotes. I currently have two and three remotes at my two viewing locations, it'd be nice to eliminate all but one. Is the 21.0 UHF also?

Did I read that correctly? We get folder / some kind of organization for the external HDD? About time, when you toss on a BIG drive and you fill it up with programs (which you can because Dish's MPEG4 SQUEEZES PQ/File Size quite a bit) and it's hard know what you have because of the lack of ordering.

Makes me wonder if they messed with the Homeplug stuff to get it to work better with home networks, and now that is why my connection from receiver to receiver is having problems and suddenly many of us are getting a surprise "access charge" for not having a phone line connected.

I understand and can live with this, I'd rather the USB / External drive to be as smooth/solid as possible. Now if they were smart and had put an eSATA port we wouldn't have this discussion. Adding the ability to record a program to the internal drive then place it into an AUTO-QUEUE to External would be nice.

I got this same answer from the engineers at Team Summit back in may. Basically there is not enough bandwidth on the USB 2 interface to allow recording. Partially because folks would expect all the trick-play functions, and multiple streams.

I understand and can live with this, I'd rather the USB / External drive to be as smooth/solid as possible. Now if they were smart and had put an eSATA port we wouldn't have this discussion.

I've experimented with using eSATA with my HT-PC and have gone back to USB 2.0 ... as with any new technology, it is not as robust as the older technology, and tends to be flakey.

And, USB 2.0 external drives then to be more widely available and less expensive.

As was asked already but not answered..

Will the new remote work with an Olevia TV?

I'm sure it can be made to work with the Olevia via the learning function. You can teach it anything with the main remote. I'm wondering if the remote is compatible with the 622 UHF.

Does anyone know why the VIP222 will not be able to use the EHD DVR function? Will it eventually be available? I realize because of the overhead with encryption, you may be only allowed to use one tuner to record, but that will be better than nothing.

Give me a couple of minutes and I will post the sound byte referencing this to the first post...

I would love to hear that sound byte...even still it doesnt add up technically.

If the Vip 211 or 211k will have the ability to record directly to an EHD then the 622/722 should as well. Unless there is some other harware related issue/limitaion of the 622/722 that the 211 does not have.

Anyone know what type of precessor is in the 211 vs 622 vs 722 as that is the only other factor that I can think of that could prevent this.

Or they could simply NOT want to add this feature to the 622/722 and that is their choice.

Thoughts?

another thing i liked is that the ota add on is also cheaper than the one for D and i'm sure it's better. my ota tuner in the 622 is superior to my am21 for D. this new add on is way more compact too

another thing i liked is that the ota add on is also cheaper than the one for D and i'm sure it's better. my ota tuner in the 622 is superior to my am21 for D. this new add on is way more compact too

Yea, but the MSRP for the 722K is $300 more then the HR21/22/23:

ViP 722K DVR MSRP:

-- $499 with OTA Module

-- $470 without OTA Module

It will be interesting to see what the price is folks really end up paying for it.

Yea, but the MSRP for the 722K is $300 more then the HR21/22/23:

ViP 722K DVR MSRP:

-- $499 with OTA Module

-- $470 without OTA Module

It will be interesting to see what the price is folks really end up paying for it.

that's true rad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts