technical advice needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnsonak

Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
southeast
I have a directv hr21-700 hddvr with what I think is a slimline 5 dish. I have great signal strength on 99, 101, 103, 110, & 119. I get errors on 99 13V and 103 18V. I can not figure out why.this problem keeps me from getting some high definition channels If anyone could tell me that would be awesome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Your dish needs to be aligned properly. Sounds like your tilt is off a little. If you could post your signal strengths it would help alot.

You may be fine. Which channels aren't you getting? I have read about false error readings, in fact I have gotten them myself, but I still got all of the channels I was supposed to. Like WhoRay85 mentioned, if you post your signal strengths we might be able to help more. BTW, in your other post you were using a Phase III dish. Are you sure you have a Slimline now? Can you post a picture?

Your dish needs to be aligned properly. Sounds like your tilt is off a little. If you could post your signal strengths it would help alot.

If the tilt was off, I would think the 110 and 119 would be failing as well unless the dish type is set for Slimeline 3.

Yes, signal strength would help.

WhoRay85 said:

99(c) - 89%
99(s) - 82%
103(s) - n/a
103(ca) - 96%
103(cb) - 93%
101 - 99%
110 - 100%
119 - 100%

raoul5788 said:
You may be fine. Which channels aren't you getting? I have read about false error readings, in fact I have gotten them myself, but I still got all of the channels I was supposed to. Like WhoRay85 mentioned, if you post your signal strengths we might be able to help more. BTW, in your other post you were using a Phase III dish. Are you sure you have a Slimline now? Can you post a picture?

The phase III was not mine. I was at my inlaws yesterday trying to help them. I am not getting some hd channels like mtv, CNN, ESPN news, bravo. If I change dish type to 02: 3-LNB I get those channels.

SA Holly Springs GA said:
Any 0's in the transponders or signalifically low numbers.(Ex:96 0 97 0 99 or 96 42 97 39 99)

Transponder 18 on 101, 24 & 28 on 119, about 6 on 99s are 55 or lower, all evens on 103ca are 0

Check channels 9501-2 and 9506-14. Those are the test channels for the different satellites.

If I change to three lnb I only get 101, 110, and 119 the problem is with 99 and 103

Oh, a Phase III type 3 lnb, I get it. I though you meant an sl3. How about those test channels. What do you get on them?

raoul5788 said:
Oh, a Phase III type 3 lnb, I get it. I though you meant an sl3. How about those test channels. What do you get on them?

If I change it to slim 3 the problem remains. My dish is a slim 5

Sounds like a failing B-Band converter or LNB to me.

DirecTV Dish Types for those that don't know: http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=2709

Phase-3 and Slimline-3 are totally different.

Phase-3 (NO HD KU ONLY)
pview.asp
pview.asp
OD1820-BX_list.jpg
Slimline-5
AU9-S_medlrg.jpg
Slimline-3
AU9-SL3_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your help. I think I may have confused some with a previous thread. Sunday I was at my flaws house trying to help them with their phase III dish. My dish is a slim 5. The BBC being bad makes sense to me. Thanks to all and I will update on if that fixes it.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think I may have confused some with a previous thread. Sunday I was at my flaws house trying to help them with their phase III dish. My dish is a slim 5. The BBC being bad makes sense to me. Thanks to all and I will update on if that fixes it.

I guess it could be a bad bbc, but I haven't heard of one causing only even or odd channels to go missing. I'm betting on a bad lnb.

If you're seeing zero's on all even's for 103, I would suspect corrosion in a connect on the feed to the multiswitch 103 18 volt input.

What he's describing is trouble with Ka band channels only. So B-Band Converter or the oval lnb centered with the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts