Technical Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

706Tom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
North Georgia
We had a bad storm last night over North Georgia with bad lightning. This morning one of my dishes is not responding. I changed switch settings with no help. The LNB output strength is about 35 with a quality of 5 on all trandponders. If the storm took out the LNB would I see any signal level? I'm guessing the LNB is out or the Dish went out of alignment.

No you would not show any signal if it got it completely, but it still could have a problem, I would suspect your switch though. Try bypassing it.

depends on how bad the receiver is wasted.
I have seen receivers that showed low signal and quality with no lnb attached.

Disconnect the lnbf and see if you still have a signal level. If so, you have a receiver problem. If not, can you take your receiver and small tv out to the dish and hook up direct with a short piece of RG-6 ? :)

Tom, just to add to the suggestions, I would suspect an alignment problem especially if there were high winds during the Storm. A few years ago High Winds totally whacked my on the Roof 1 Meter (39") Dish out of Alignment. That Dish is finally coming down due to a reshingling job soon. You didn't say what size of Dish you are trying to realign? Try very small movements / adjustments on the Dish and as suggested by Brent and k4est, then Disconnect & Bypass the Switch and connect directly to the LNB using a small TV and your Sat Receiver at the Dish outside. Go to your South Satellite for your area and slowly (small movements) try to realign the Dish for best S and Q Signalling. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone, as it turned out , the lightning took out my switch and my DMX741. I've replaced the 741 with a ESX242 on a 6' BUD. Tuned it to 101 for Me and This. Signal strength a little low, but picture excellent.

The switch and LNB are much better safety fuses than the receiver. Last lightning strike I had took out the LNBF, Switch, and the receiver. Strangely enough it spared my SG2100 motor.

Thanks everyone, as it turned out , the lightning took out my switch and my DMX741. I've replaced the 741 with a ESX242 on a 6' BUD. Tuned it to 101 for Me and This. Signal strength a little low, but picture excellent.

Just out of curiosity have you grounded your system and if so how?

I can aim a dish at a brick wall and get those readings, your switch is probably kaput. Like some suggested, bypass the switch and see what goes.

Sorry did not see your last entry until I posted the above. Tried to delete but unsuccessful. At least you got your signal back.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts