Technical question

not when they are of separate bands (VHF & UHF) or used with the correct combiner.
Most any TV antenna, regardless of intended band, is going to pick up frequencies that it wasn't advertised to pick up. The "correct combiner" is a much more important tool than you seem to be giving it credit for.

Most any TV antenna, regardless of intended band, is going to pick up frequencies that it wasn't advertised to pick up. The "correct combiner" is a much more important tool than you seem to be giving it credit for.
But that's my problem. I can't use a splitter in reverse and get UHF. Too weak. That's why I use the A/B switch.

Comcast carries all the subs except Comet so far. But they are having problems.in this area with pixelation on most locals for some.reason. I checked with Comcast for my neighbors and they said there was an open ticket for the problem but they haven't found the.problem yet. So I don't know what to do :-(

Most any TV antenna, regardless of intended band, is going to pick up frequencies that it wasn't advertised to pick up.
no sh*t. :rolleyes:
I do know a little bit about TV antennas....

The "correct combiner" is a much more important tool than you seem to be giving it credit for.
seriously??? I'm fully aware of what combiner is "more important" as you put it and I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing and telling people what combiner to get to combine a VHF and UHF antenna together :rolleyes:

But that's my problem. I can't use a splitter in reverse and get UHF. Too weak. That's why I use the A/B switch.
Have you tried a different pre-amp? The RCA one that a few of us have does have separate VHF and UHF inputs. It works pretty good. I used it when I lived at the lake house for one of the 2 setups I had. They can be got at most stores

Reactions: . Raine
I'm fully aware of what combiner is "more important" as you put it and I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing and telling people what combiner to get to combine a VHF and UHF antenna together :rolleyes:
You seem to be going out of your way not to share the important details of what kind of combiner to use and what the device does that makes it better than a splitter in reverse.

You seem to be going out of your way not to share the important details of what kind of combiner to use and what the device does that makes it better than a splitter in reverse.

He's talking about a "UVSJ". Which stands for Uhf Vhf Splitter Joiner. It's a very common device, and has been available for more than 40 years. No secret about it, he probably figured you already knew this.

It kind of looks like a small sized splitter, but it's frequency selective. If you feed a Uhf antenna into the Uhf input, it ONLY allows Uhf signals to pass through. Vice-versa with the Vhf input. Or, if you feed a combined Uhf/Vhf signal into the "line output" it separates them into the particular band. That selective isolation makes it better than a standard splitter, which passes all signals through all inputs or outputs and can cause clashes.

It's a very common device, and has been available for more than 40+ years. No secret about it, he probably figured you already knew this.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj

UVSJ_zoom.gif

But I think in Andy's case the pre-amp with separate VHF/UHF inputs (that I linked to) might be the better option. The combiner might make the signal too weak again

Two antennas are worse than one. This causes multi-path that while creating ghosting in analog signals, pretty much trashes DTV signals.

Keep in mind that the signal meter is probably showing you a number that relates to the "quality" of the signal versus the "strength" of the signal. If you overdrive the tuners (or the amplifier inputs), the "quality" will drop. Unless you're splitting the signal more than eight ways, I wouldn't mess with amps.

You must be careful about putting splitters together with power inserters that often accompany pre-amps as you can get some relatively high DC voltages where you don't want them.
I have two antenna's (VHF low and UHF High) and I have no problems. Course the vhf is about 5 feet lower than the 8 bay...

He's talking about a "UVSJ". Which stands for Uhf Vhf Splitter Joiner. It's a very common device, and has been available for more than 40 years. No secret about it, he probably figured you already knew this.

It kind of looks like a small sized splitter, but it's frequency selective. If you feed a Uhf antenna into the Uhf input, it ONLY allows Uhf signals to pass through. Vice-versa with the Vhf input. Or, if you feed a combined Uhf/Vhf signal into the "line output" it separates them into the particular band. That selective isolation makes it better than a standard splitter, which passes all signals through all inputs or outputs and can cause clashes.

It's a very common device, and has been available for more than 40+ years. No secret about it, he probably figured you already knew this.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj

UVSJ_zoom.gif
Remember they also have the Blonder Tounge one, you know it has hi on one side and low on the other........That one was good too till my pre amp came in so I ditched the joiner in the drawer....

Andy this is what I would do (and well I'll have to eat my words but I'll have to buy and new vhf antenna), HOWEVER if your antenna(s) are still good then keep em....

Lowe's sells an RCA 3038XR antenna or go to http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...3038XR-Digital-HD-Outdoor-Antenna-(ANT3038XR) (I wanna say this has a couple of small extentions you screw into the antenna (something about getting better UHF signals)

Then if you wanna buy this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-HDB8X-VHFUHF-Outdoor-TV-Antenna-(HDB8X)&c=TV Antennas&sku=700112818417 (this is the uhf 8 bay)

Oh an buy the preamp that Iceburn mentioned above. With these 3 you will get excellent TV reception (no matter what anyone tells you)

However if you have a vhf and a uhf antenna already that is doing you good then get the preamp (rca one). You wont regret it...

Reactions: andy_horton
Andy this is what I would do (and well I'll have to eat my words but I'll have to buy and new vhf antenna), HOWEVER if your antenna(s) are still good then keep em....

Lowe's sells an RCA 3038XR antenna or go to http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...3038XR-Digital-HD-Outdoor-Antenna-(ANT3038XR) (I wanna say this has a couple of small extentions you screw into the antenna (something about getting better UHF signals)

Then if you wanna buy this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-HDB8X-VHFUHF-Outdoor-TV-Antenna-(HDB8X)&c=TV Antennas&sku=700112818417 (this is the uhf 8 bay)

Oh an buy the preamp that Iceburn mentioned above. With these 3 you will get excellent TV reception (no matter what anyone tells you)

However if you have a vhf and a uhf antenna already that is doing you good then get the preamp (rca one). You wont regret it...
Will these antennas work inside?( Remember, no" outdoor antennas allowed) I can set my bedroom up for it. I do have a metal roof

The links dont work for me but the metal roof is what is probably hindering reception

Why can't you have an outdoor antenna? Are you in an apartment complex??

Will these antennas work inside?( Remember, no" outdoor antennas allowed) I can set my bedroom up for it. I do have a metal roof
They are both outdoor antenna's. If you could've used them the 8bay goes one top and the vhf goes 5 feet below and the connect the wire to the respective connector on the preamp. HOWEVER as for indoor they're are some that get 40 to 60 miles from the transmitter tower (well if you're lucky like me most of the stations I get are less than 25 miles away). Since you of in use of an indoor your best bet is to get with best buy or wal mart they may have those 40 to 80 dollar indoor antenna's that get channel's from a good distance and you can still use the pre amp (rca one) too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)