Tegna dispute IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I find it humerus around here RSN get all the blame for high bills but never points out that our local stations(networks) have jacked bills up 2800% in less than 20 years!
RSN 's are a Whole other Argument ....
I am Charged almost $200 a Year for something I never watch ... then I have to pay More, to watch one that I DO watch (EI package). It would be different if the money went to the package that I do watch, but it doesn't.

For once I agree with you.

Tegna ( and all the others) are trying to make up the losses due to cord cutting.

It is basically a cash grab right now, DirecTV cannot go long without them , specially during the NFL Season, which is the only thing right now attracting ratings and advertising on Traditional Paid Live TV.

What this will cause is like I said, either a broadcast channel fee/increased price.

Then more people will leave, which hurts the stations and DirecTV, specially since there are so many alternatives, which were not there just 6 years ago.
At least in the current situation, there ARE Options ....
My Antenna gets the CBS station (in my market) (I happen to get All my networks on the Antenna) it's the convenience of having them all on one platform (D*) in this case.
My neighbor next door can't get but 1 of the local stations (although she is trying the Indoor antenna type thing and not having much luck).
I discussed streaming, but she doesn't want the cost.

I am Charged almost $200 a Year for something I never watch ... then I have to pay More, to watch one that I DO watch (EI package). It would be different if the money went to the package that I do watch, but it doesn't.
Ok then what are you paying for 4 networks? Bet is far more!

Ok then what are you paying for 4 networks? Bet is far more!
I bet it's not more than $20 a month for those 4 networks over D*.
D* doesn't break it down on the bill, so no one really knows.
I believe its all wrapped into thier stupid Advanced Recvr Fee.

Reactions: AZ.
I find it humerus around here RSN get all the blame for high bills but never points out that our local stations(networks) have jacked bills up 2800% in less than 20 years!
All stations do this, not fair to just say Broadcast/RSNs only have high per sub fee increases.

For example, Fox contract is coming up, it is rumored they want over $3 in per sub fees for Fox News based on the ratings ( no political please), ESPN gets $11 for 1 & 2, if you add the 3 FX channels together, right around $2, all the Disneys, guessing around $6 in per sub fees.

etc, etc

Last edited:
All stations do this, not far to just say Broadcast/RSNs only have high per sub fee increases.

For example, Fox contract is coming up, it is rumored they want over $4 in per sub fees for Fox News based on the ratings ( no political please), ESPN gets $11 for 1 & 2, if you add the 3 FX channels together, right around $2, all the Disneys, guessing around $6 in per sub fees.

etc, etc
And I will go back, as soon as the big bad boogieman is gone, satellite and cable, what makes you think streaming will be in the same price gouging as soon as it can? Same prices, way less overhead!

That is a little different then the Tegna money grab.

You choose to do the above, there are options available to save on what you posted, but you are the one who made the decision to stick with DirecTV and pay that RSN fee.

And I am not talking about streaming, you could always go to Dish and avoid that fee, there are many ways of getting MLB.

• Wow
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
And I will go back, as soon as the big bad boogieman is gone, satellite and cable, what makes you think streaming will be in the same price gouging as soon as it can? Same prices, way less overhead!
Ask that question in the cord cutters area, not allowed to answer here.

D* doesn't break it down on the bill, so no one really knows.
If you're talking about RSNs, it's $15.99/mo for 3 channels (Bally Sports Ohio [Cavaliers, Blue Jackets], Great Lakes [Guardians], Detroit [Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons])
For example, Fox contract is coming up
I'm not sure if you're talking about a different provider, but for DirecTV, the Fox Sports & Entertainment contract was renewed just about a year ago (with potential of them getting dropped before that), while Fox News Media's contract was renewed back in March of last year (that's what gave us FOX Nation as an SVOD service on satellite and FOX Weather on stream)

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ.
If you're talking about RSNs, it's $13.99/mo for 3 channels (Bally Sports Ohio [Cavaliers, Blue Jackets], Great Lakes [Guardians], Detroit [Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons])

I'm not sure if you're talking about a different provider, but for DirecTV, the Fox Sports & Entertainment contract was renewed just about a year ago (with potential of them getting dropped before that), while Fox News Media's contract was renewed back in March of last year (that's what gave us FOX Nation as an SVOD service on satellite and FOX Weather on stream)
Did not say for DirecTV.

If you're talking about RSNs, it's $13.99/mo for 3 channels (Bally Sports Ohio [Cavaliers, Blue Jackets], Great Lakes [Guardians], Detroit [Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons])
They do have a lookup tool, you can enter any ZIP code and see how much they pay. Keep in mind Philadelphia and the surrounding area in southeastern PA is exempt from RSN fees.

It was 3 years ago we went through the same stuff. Was 20 days last time with no Tegna affiliates
The outage began Dec. 1 and ended Dec. 20
I wonder how many cancelled, during Football Season is the worse time for a dispute, gives all the advantage to the station owners.

Geez, how did they get by in the days of OTA only with very limited cable availability?
No competition and advertising, when you only have maybe 8 stations competing for viewers in a market, you will get a good rate for ads.

Today, all advertising is super heavy discounted ( except Football) on Traditional TV ( broadcast and cable channels), due to the loss of viewers.

Advertisers have moved a lot of their ads to streaming, because of targeting and a lot cheaper to put there.

So all a station owner has left is per sub fees.

I had to do a report about it for work, took a month because of the research, Ad rates are not pretty right now.

If they only had Ads to pay the bills, they would be out of business.

I wonder how many cancelled, during Football Season is the worse time for a dispute, gives all the advantage to the station owners.
I guess one "good" thing about Tegna is they are big on NBC and ABC so NFL isnt a big issue (as long as your team isnt on NBC). They own 68 stations and looking at the info they have 15 CBS and 6 FOX affiliates. 22 NBC and 13 ABC. So that isn't bad that they only have 21 CBS & FOX affiliates to deal with NFL.

I guess one "good" thing about Tegna is they are big on NBC and ABC so NFL isnt a big issue (as long as your team isnt on NBC). They own 68 stations and looking at the info they have 15 CBS and 6 FOX affiliates. 22 NBC and 13 ABC. So that isn't bad that they only have 21 CBS & FOX affiliates to deal with NFL.
Have you seen the ratings for SNF, about a over 23 Million average ( almost 9 Million Households), which is incredible for Primetime in today’s world.

In comparison , the World Series average was only 4 Million Households for each game, so a regular season NFL Game gets a tad over double what the biggest games that the MLB have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.