Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Neat article in the Topeka Kansas newspaper
http://cjonline.com/news/2015-02-14/television-antennas-making-comeback

As television continues to grow and evolve, an old standby has resurfaced around Topeka and other parts of the nation — the outdoor antenna.

Many people have ditched cable and satellite television in favor of free, over-the-air TV channels. Some are supplementing that with programming available on the Internet.

The result is people who wouldn’t have given a TV antenna a second thought a few years ago are now scooping them up, cutting their bills and finding many hours of programming to keep them entertained.

Dave Pomeroy, 72, who is a frequent bicycle rider, said he has seen an increasing number of antennas being placed on houses as he pedals around Shawnee County.

“It’s something that’s up-and-coming,” Pomeroy said. “I’m not seeing them by the thousands, but they are starting to pop up. It was disappearing, but with new technology, it’s coming back.” Not everyone who is going the antenna route is doing so because of the cost of cable or satellite, or because they can’t afford it. Some are making the choice simply because it works for them. Pomeroy, a former program director for KTWU, channel 11, Topeka’s PBS station, estimates his family has saved in the neighborhood of $10,000 since cutting ties with local cable providers several years ago. With his rooftop antenna, Pomeroy said, he is able to pull in about 45 channels, including over-the-air signals from Kansas City-area stations, including channels 5, 4, 9, 41, 19, 38 and 62 — all of which are in high-definition and none of which are available to Topeka viewers on cable or satellite. Most are available in high-definition. Many stations are offering multiple sub-channels through a setup known as “diginets.” The programming on diginets can focus on everything from old movies to classic TV shows to weather. Pomeroy said subchannels that are available locally include MeTV, on 13.2 and 9.2, which broadcasts shows like “Alfred Hitchcock,” “Hogan’s Heroes” and “The Beverly Hillbillies”; Cozi-TV, available on 41.2, which runs classic shows like “Dragnet,” “Lassie” and “Roy Rogers”; Antenna-TV, on 4.2, which runs shows like “Three’s Company,” “WKRP in Cincinnati” and “Mr. Ed.”

Topeka-area residents can also pick up a number of movie channels, including Movies!, on channel 29.2, WROB, channel 26.1, and PBS-related cultural and how-to programming.

FCC figures show an avg increase in TV antennas to be about 7% a year since the digital conversion with an estimated more than 22 million in use, on par with the largest cable co Comcast at 22 million. In contrast Dish has approx 14 million subscribers and DirecTV about 18 million. That's what always makes me laugh when someone posts about the "impending demise" of broadcast TV. OTA has the highest growth rate of any provider.

I think they missed the biggest reason behind the increase in antennas. I used to watch local channels with just an indoor rabbit ear just fine and now that it's digital, I have to use an outdoor antenna. I have not found a decent indoor antenna to use in this town at all anymore. So a lot of antennas went up in this town and had nothing to do with "cord cutting" or changing viewing habits.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Actually, most of the articles I read say it is a three edged sword (picture that) made up of cable/satellite/fios, OTA and online services. OTA has been stealing from cable for the last 5 years. Cable was around 90% of all households in 2008, but is now at 83%. However, OTA does not get all of that because online services have been growing even faster.

I guess I don't see it yet. I really can't get conventional broadcast or cable TV real time via the net at this time. Closest is Hulu+ So I don't see it as the either/or that thearticles are promoting. I think most cutters are like I was. OTA for broadcast, supplemented by online content from netflix and Amazon.

The on-line services numbers are skewed. There is a lot of industry hype about streaming but the fact is by the FCC numbers more than 40% of the country has no access to hard-wired broadband and what does exist is very heavily weighted to the east coast and west coast with the mid-atlantic regions predominating. Here in eastern PA my only access to broadband is the local cable company but there's a big catch. In order to get cable internet access they want me to subscribe to their cable TV and even then if I want any decent speed they add a surcharge. They will sell me cable internet without a TV agreement but the price bumps almost 40% (they like to characterize it as a discount for bundling - :rolleyes: ). So I still have a dial-up account. And so my advice to streaming companies is if they expect to see sustained growth once the east and west coast urban regions start to saturate they need to pressure the FCC to get off it's butt and start implementing policies to promote hard-wired broadband access growth. One more thing, if people think wireless access is sustainable they need to take a look at all the dead zones for cell reception that exist even today in this country. If you can't sustain a cell phone connection you sure aren't going to do any wireless streaming.

Reactions: danristheman
Living where I do, I can get the big 3 with subnets on an indoor antenna, but no Fox, CW, or PBS without an outdoor antenna which my landlord won't let me put up. (Trust me, I've talked them to death on it) which makes cable a must have for me. If it weren't for that, I'd cut the cord and stick with OTA and HSI

Living where I do, I can get the big 3 with subnets on an indoor antenna, but no Fox, CW, or PBS without an outdoor antenna which my landlord won't let me put up. (Trust me, I've talked them to death on it) which makes cable a must have for me. If it weren't for that, I'd cut the cord and stick with OTA and HSI
always need to ask. Do you have a patio or balcony that faces the towers? The landlord cannot refuse to allow you to erect an antenna on a space you control as long as you do not modify his building. Satellite customers mount dishes on south facing patios all the time. Set a post in a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement. If you don't have a patio, or it faces the wrong way, you are stuck though. The antenna can't extend past the edges of the space you control.

The switch to digital alone was the biggest reason for increase for us. Some of it had to do with people replacing old antennas that couldn't get the digital signal. Most of or sales were from new customers that just wanted all the extra channels. The only way you can watch some of our local high school sports is with an antenna. Something people could never do before.

Back in the 60's I worked at a TV-Radio-Appliance store and went on many calls with the TV man to install antennas on rooftops. Those were the days of 300 Ohm twin lead that you had to "twist" so as not to produce ghosts. All the antennas we installed pointed towards NYC which was easily seen on the far horizon from the rooftops. We looked for the Empire State building - that was our reference point, where most antennas stood until they built the World Trade Center buildings.

At that time antennas were mostly for VHF but then UHF TV came aboard and antennas changed a bit to accommodate channels 14 - 83 which were the "new" UHF band channels. One of the first channels on UHF broadcasted bullfighting from Mexico, something very different from VHF.

Then cable came, then satellite came, and most of the population went to paid TV, rooftop antennas were taken down and put in the trash. Nowadays you'll find very few homes sprouting a TV antenna.

Digital TV in 2009 made it even more complex, as most folks didn't understand it. It was just easier to keep paying the monthly bill instead of complicating one's life with the intricacies of installing an outside antenna. And, most of the TV-Radio shops disappeared over the years as the owners, mostly from the WW 2 era retired or passed away. These were the guys who put up those antennas. Try to find a TV Radio repair shop these days, they are as scarce as hen's teeth.

But the public is missing out on free, High Def OTA digital TV if they chose not to install an antenna. Channels are crystal clear, more sub-channels are popping up every few months, and most importantly OTA TV is regional, where you'll see local merchants advertising and hear the local news.

Time to get off the soap box hi hi.

I remember those days our TV repairman was a wartime buddy of my fathers (actually an electrical engineer with a side job). We lived outside the service area for cable so we always depended on OTA and I enjoyed playing with TV reception. When I had my own satellite business I installed many TV antennas. Now retired I still use them I can receive 2 DMA so instead of one ugly TV antenna I have 9 on my roof/tower. No I don't need that many but I still like to play. My largest VHF/UHF can pull in over 80 channels/subchannels and my small 2 bay UHF over 50 channels. The UHF is less than 2ft. square and 4-6" deep and picks up all the major networks and most important subchannels, so a big ugly antenna isn't needed in most cases. The small size of many of todays antennas makes them almost invisible on most roofs.

Reactions: Mr Tony
People don't know about OTA because a few generations have already been brought up with paid TV that comes over via wire or dish. Even the term OTA has a mystical air about it, almost sounds like it is "new " technology when in fact it's over 70 years old. Maybe it's time to quit the day job and start up a TV antenna installation business.

Recently I had the opportunity to recommend an OTA antenna for someone at work (high up in the organization), he was so happy with the results that I was guaranteed a job for life.

I think more would switch back to OTA if they knew it existed. When I installed my antenna, my neighbors had no idea that free TV was available.
agreed! And it seems like some folks that you talk to about it they think its only for "poor people" or people who cant afford cable. I mentioned that last week
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/apparently-us-ota-folks-all-have-old-antennas.347373/

"Because you couldn't pay your cable bill you have to resort to watching me on an old antenna"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)