Tell me why I should wait on the XIP receiver system?

Well, there's at least 1GHz of bandwidth on RG-6. So there is potential, but the two most common (HPNA, MoCA) operate at hundreds of megabits vs 1Gbps Ethernet. No doubt that CAT5e is better, but coax isn't completely useless for IPTV.

They don't offer it and WILL NOT offer it. The other problem is that ATSC modulators are stupid expensive because they are relatively complex (requiring on-the-fly MPEG compression) and there are no economies of scale.

IPTV is the way of the future and coax isn't anyone's friend in that domain (and somebody always wants to diplex the hell out of it).
I disagree about the cost issue as Dish already provided it on one of their receivers. I believe there was a consumer chip that had been developed for it. In regards to CAT5 & Coax, neither are the future as both are old technology. The future is fiber and wireless. However solutions to the homes right now, have to deal with legacy wiring unless someone is willing to endure the expense of ripping it all out and replacing it with something with more ability.

One of the reasons DISH was able to do the ATSC remodulator on the model 5000 receiver (not 6000) is because at that time all DISH signals were mpeg2 so no recompression was needed.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well, there's at least 1GHz of bandwidth on RG-6. So there is potential, but the two most common (HPNA, MoCA) operate at hundreds of megabits vs 1Gbps Ethernet. No doubt that CAT5e is better, but coax isn't completely useless for IPTV.
1Ghz total of RF isn't typically available on coax (unless it was installed expressly for that purpose).

I didn't say it was useless. I meant that it wasn't reasonable given all the other uses people are familiar with to create interference (adding OTA or CATV signals and backfeeding has been popular until recently).

My understanding is that the 813 can handle 2 USB OTA tuners, not that there will be a Dish Network USB tuner that has two tuners built in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)