Tell me why I should wait on the XIP receiver system?

Just plan on switching! It will be announced, delayed months, come out full of bugs, and take years to straighten out!!!! Its the track record!!!! not an opinion

You forgot the discontinued portion of the cycle. The 922 is just the latest receiver to meet that fate.

With the 922 on hold, and these not really for current setups, is there anything new on the horizon? I mean with Directv bringing this new 5 tuner box it changes the game a bit. 2 tuners really are not enough for many people any more, and then as much as I like the 722k, you gotta add a module and have OTA to get 2 xtra tuners.

Dish seemed to always have the edge on hardware, but I'm starting to wonder now. I'm tempted by the new HMC box at Directv, but will most likely stay with Dish. Are we heading towards a period where Directv = better PQ AND better hardware?

I wish theyd focus less time to buying crap like TMobile, and more time on upping their game, especially with less channels crammed on a TP.

Did a little more reading. The 813 is interesting to me, with 3 sat tuners and the ability to add 2 more via a USB OTA tuner. If this could record two OTA and 3 sat at the same time, thats pretty neat.

USB tuner = ONE, there is no such thing as a TWO tuner USB. I really don't know where the two USB tuner idea came from.

USB tuner = ONE, there is no such thing as a TWO tuner USB. I really don't know where the two USB tuner idea came from.

Scott mentioned the two tuner usb months ago when they first talked about the system. Look back in the start of the original 813 Xip thread and read it again.

I have read every post in that thread and two tuner not mentioned by Scott, someone just ASSUMED that the USB tuner would be dual during the life of that thread. As I said THERE is NO such thing.

I have read every post in that thread and two tuner not mentioned by Scott, someone just ASSUMED that the USB tuner would be dual during the life of that thread. As I said THERE is NO such thing.

Yep agree. The only thing Scott said was he didn't think there was a limit to the number of OTA USB tuners you could plug in. But there has to be a limit as to what the hardware can handle.

That being said, I'd need a minimum of 2 tuners in order for this system to work in my household.

Just to add that supposedly you can add the USB tuner to any 110 box, and it gets shared to the others as well ... and that there are 2 USB ports on the back of the 813 and 1 on the front would allow 3 USB devices without needing a USB Hub ... and if the usb tuner to any 110 sharing becomes reality ... then you could add a huge number of them.. :)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ions-about-new-xip-receivers.html#post2529328
Does it have an over the air TV tuner built in?

No it does not nor does it use an OTA tuning cartridge like a 722k / 922. Instead you will be able to add OTA by inserting a USB OTA Tuner in any of the XiP receivers on your networks. (And that tuner will be shared with all the XiP devices on your network automatically.)

Look at post number# 9 in the original thread about XIP dvr. Where someone asks if there is a limit on the number of ota tuners that can be added ? Scott replies:"As far as I know there is no limit to the ota tuners. And all should have full dvr functions on them. " Then read post #177 where Whatchel1 says : "813 will have three sat tuners the add on ( ext USB) module will be 2 tuners. So a total of 5 guys. " I think that is where the two tuner ota module came from.

Well in all the monitoring I've done, I've never seen the Sling/dish receiver, push more than 10 ... maybe 11 megs of data .... and still didn't do HD properly on three different machines in my environment .. so.. "near HD" meaning to leave room for those that may not get HD even with other things supporting it.

I can do HD (1080p) real time on 6 meg cable from Youtube to my computers & bluray (it has a YT app), I've seen others post they get really good HD from Netflix, etc .. and I can stream to my Dish Receiver real time in HD ... but still not get HD from the receiver to my pc's..

..YMMV..
I'm talking about PC's not Dish network. I'm a member of a paid usenet and down load from it. So as I said you don't understand what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Well then the sling adapter is useless too , unless you want it for away from home viewing on computers, laptops, etc.
many computers now have HDMI ports or can be adapted to HDMI and thus play from computer to TV in near HD inside your home.
NEAR, You know not what you talk about. Mine plays full 1080p.
Well in all the monitoring I've done, I've never seen the Sling/dish receiver, push more than 10 ... maybe 11 megs of data .... and still didn't do HD properly on three different machines in my environment .. so.. "near HD" meaning to leave room for those that may not get HD even with other things supporting it.

I can do HD (1080p) real time on 6 meg cable from Youtube to my computers & bluray (it has a YT app), I've seen others post they get really good HD from Netflix, etc .. and I can stream to my Dish Receiver real time in HD ... but still not get HD from the receiver to my pc's..

..YMMV..
I'm talking about PC's not Dish network. I'm a member of a paid usenet and down load from it. So as I said you don't understand what you are talking about.

So color me the jerk then .. but lets get this back into context .. YMMV means Your Mileage May Vary ... You're getting 1080p, I can get 1080p from every other source, including off of Youtube yet not get HD to function for *me* in *my environment* ... as I stated.

so "near HD" means .. as I said again.. to leave room for those that *don't* get HD from their slings. I'm sure that if I had an i3, i5, or i7, with all the latest bells & whisltles, that maybe it would allow HD .. but with my current setup, three different systems pushing 10 megs of Sling Data across the network, I'm still unable to do HD with the Sling Adapter. One machine is an AMDx2 2400 3gigs ram, tried both ATI & NVidia cards, the 2nd is a laptop, core 2 duo 4 gigs ram (but ofcourse without dedicated video ram, and its an intel video set, so no wonder there, the last is an i3, with Nvidia graphics, and *it* won't drive 1080 hd using the sling, again getting 8 to 10 megs across the network .. the network itself handles pushing that 10 meg video stream while simultaneously pushing a 200 meg ISO file from pc to pc across the same, and watching no speed issue appear just that again.. the Sling doesn't do HD for me.

YMMV.. if it works for you.. great.. but my findings are valid, and its just that someone else may also only get "near HD" quality too..

so that said.. what exactly is your issue, and why are you bringing Usnet into a discussion revolving around Sling Adapters, Sling Extenders, and the Sling enabled 922?

In answer to the OP. I may prove myself wrong as I just ordered Directv tonight and have not yet used it but after much research It seems the Direct HR34 HMC will still be a better unit than the XIP and the HR34 is here now not "coming soon"

It's a shame that Dish won't put an ATSC modulator on Coax OUT which would eliminate the need for a tuner box on the remote TV for HD content. I heard the original HD box from Dish, the 6000 maybe, had this. I assume they don't offer it now because due to fears that people will get around restrictions on recording.

I'm sure Dish would love to do that, but you are right. The reason that they won't is the content providers. They would never allow it.

I assume they don't offer it now because due to fears that people will get around restrictions on recording.
They don't offer it and WILL NOT offer it. The protection schemes provided in association with the ATSC standard aren't going to satisfy the content providers. The other problem is that ATSC modulators are stupid expensive because they are relatively complex (requiring on-the-fly MPEG compression) and there are no economies of scale.

IPTV is the way of the future and coax isn't anyone's friend in that domain (and somebody always wants to diplex the hell out of it).

IPTV is the way of the future and coax isn't anyone's friend in that domain (and somebody always wants to diplex the hell out of it).

Sure coax will work in that domain. How do you think cable modems work? Granted, I've seen the likes of AT&T U-verse's implementation of coax (HomePNA) which is rather aweful. There's still MoCA though.

Sure coax will work in that domain. How do you think cable modems work? Granted, I've seen the likes of AT&T U-verse's implementation of coax (HomePNA) which is rather aweful. There's still MoCA though.
Cable modems only transfer data at cable modem speeds. Conventional CAT5e networks can work at ten times that speed both ways and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

If networking weren't so horribly restricted from a technician licensing standpoint, they probably wouldn't have messed with MoCA. I'm sure that FIOS would love to use those frequencies for something else (like more broadband).