Tell me why I should wait on the XIP receiver system?

I love to tinker! I actually ran an HDMI cable between my bedroom and living room complete with HDMI boxes in the walls just so I can have HD on both TV's. We seldom watch both TV's at once. So it's easy to have the rcvr in single mode and control it from whichever room I'm in. My wife laughed at the whole home DVR commercial from Direct and said, "Ha we can do that now!" I smiled with a little pride in my heart at that comment ;)

I have an hdmi splitter in my closet with my 922, it feeds hdmi to the living room tv, bedroom tv and the projector in the basement. If I want to watch something different in the theatre room I fire up the HTPC, login to Dishonline recline and :popcorn

I feel compelled to point out that the DIRECTV HR34 is kind of the analog of the ViP922. It is designed to support non-receiver devices over the network, but to date, like the Slingcatcher, the RVU clients don't exist (Samsung is quietly testing RVU firmware in one or more of their smart TVs). Instead what you get is a slightly modified (up to three sessions) Whole Home DVR Service (a misnomer as it only serves up one additional TV at a time) that requires a satellite receiver at each TV anyway.

There is a big unknown with the HR34 regarding transportability of recordings should the device fail. DIRECTV Plus HD DVR customers have been lusting for cross-DVR interchange of external hard drives since before external drives were enabled and the capability still eludes.

I think it is prudent to wait and see what the respective pricing models and client availability are before throwing in on either technology.

I am going to go out on the limb here and say that MOST existing customers will NOT want to upgrade to the XIP.

The XIP is designed for NEW customers. It is designed so the installer needs to run just a single wire into the house from the dish. From there the installer plugs the XIP into your cable television line and from there you now have satellite distribution throughout your house where ever there is a cable tv line installed. Now the tech goes to each TV you want satellite on and installs the joey box and boom you now have satellite tv there with no additional wiring.

It will cut install times and install costs greatly.

For existing customers the XIP setup will probably require rewiring of some sort, as at the moment each room has a wire coming to it from the dish or switch. You wold need to take the additional rooms and unhook them from the dish or switch and hook them up to cable tv splitters making it a cable distribution network for the XiP to work. I don't see many people wanting to do this. And honestly besides sharing recording on your DVR in all rooms you don't really gain anything that you don't have now.

The big flaw I see in the XiP is if your main XiP box goes out then you have no TV on any of your televisions in your house.

So I think it will be GREAT for new customers but not so much for most existing customers... except for those like us who like to tinker. :D

Great summary. I had the HR24 with whole home, and it was cool, just really only used to for xtra space (2 dvr's 4 tuners). I have that now with one ViP722k, so it was not used as intended.

My biggest guess right now, is if I should try the 922 out.

Nope, November was to Dish, not consumers. Of course, there are plenty of rumors, just little substance to them.

The Sling Extender has been cancelled. I believe that was posted on this site weeks ago.

I think that was Scott G. saying in his opinion that the sling extender would never come to market. I don't remember ever seeing anything from DISH officially saying that it was cancelled.

Great summary. I had the HR24 with whole home, and it was cool, just really only used to for xtra space (2 dvr's 4 tuners). I have that now with one ViP722k, so it was not used as intended.

My biggest guess right now, is if I should try the 922 out.
DON'T do it! You will be sadly disappointed in the 922. I know I was.

I feel compelled to point out that the DIRECTV HR34 is kind of the analog of the ViP922. It is designed to support non-receiver devices over the network, but to date, like the Slingcatcher, the RVU clients don't exist (Samsung is quietly testing RVU firmware in one or more of their smart TVs). Instead what you get is a slightly modified (up to three sessions) Whole Home DVR Service (a misnomer as it only serves up one additional TV at a time) that requires a satellite receiver at each TV anyway.

There is a big unknown with the HR34 regarding transportability of recordings should the device fail. DIRECTV Plus HD DVR customers have been lusting for cross-DVR interchange of external hard drives since before external drives were enabled and the capability still eludes.

I think it is prudent to wait and see what the respective pricing models and client availability are before throwing in on either technology.

Hi
Can you please give some insight on how a 5 tuner dvr servers compares to a 922?
And I thought 3 session mean three streams at a time ?

I think that was Scott G. saying in his opinion that the sling extender would never come to market. I don't remember ever seeing anything from DISH officially saying that it was cancelled.

I don't think the Extender was ever announced as a product, so no need to announce it's demise. Didn't they just discuss it as a possible future product? No delivery date?

DON'T do it! You will be sadly disappointed in the 922. I know I was.

The 922 really is not that bad. I've had one for two years and I have not had any problems. I have an OTA module in it and an EHD. I've got over 500 recordings on it. I don't see it being much inferior to the 722k, if fact the 722k has been more annoying lately than the 922 because of the slow guide.

For existing customers the XIP setup will probably require rewiring of some sort, as at the moment each room has a wire coming to it from the dish or switch. You wold need to take the additional rooms and unhook them from the dish or switch and hook them up to cable tv splitters making it a cable distribution network for the XiP to work. I don't see many people wanting to do this. And honestly besides sharing recording on your DVR in all rooms you don't really gain anything that you don't have now.
In your picture set from back then ... was a picture of the switch... two XIP813 ports, 2 Client ports.

All dish needs to do, is have an enclosure that attaches to the back of the dish, the cables from the LNB would be disconnected at the LNB Side and replaced with new pig tails to the new XIP Switch on the SAT/LNB side .... the main receiver location gets the XiP813 .. the other two locations in-house get their *receiver* lines, attached to the CLIENT ports .. then those receivers are replaced by XiP110's.

The only wiring change ... is going to come into play on the *secondary* outputs ... ie.. 722 with TV1 & TV2 with TV2 fed by coax ... and even there, would a moca spiltter work prior to the main XIP Switch? .. if not.. then yes.. a new wire is run from the XIP Switch Client Port to the 2ndary TV.

And even in that .. I would guess that the installer could run an XiP Client Line ... back to where the 813 is ... and then use a barrel connector to attach to the line that went to TV2.

In a perfect world ... the install would have been 3 lines off the LNB to the wall on the house with waterproof enclosure ... *all* TV's run back to this point ... and in there, would be, any Diplexers that were used to feed the TV2's. This would allow for changes to occur with no new cable runs. The Dish Tech would then pull out diplexers, replace the main switch, add MOCA switches if needed for feeding more than 2 clients and again.. simple ...

The real issue, is that in my house we'd still need TWO XiP813's .... we *do* need more than 3 tuners .. and 6 would cover us pretty nicely. But even in that case .. the 813's can see each other through the XiP switch ... so instead of where I have my two 722k's .. I get 813's ... I'd run *ONE* new wire to the guest room, and where my 211k is ... that's pulled out and a 110 installed.

What would need to happen in any case ... as it sounds from the DirecTv stuff too .. is better and more seamless integration of timer controls when using more than 1 813! Be it master/slave or master/master relationship.. the ability to centrally manage timers would be a great plus... and auto timer roll over .... ie. someone wants to record a "one off" show .. any available tuner on either 813 would do so...

I'd hate to see the fee structure of the 813 and do not know whether to trust Dish Network if they at first say only $7 more for each additional room. It would be nice if they would let you have two 813's being able to use two tuners per room so that you can record more than one thing at a time. Essentually it would need to be able to be equal in replacing two 722's which means four tuners or three 722's which means six tuners. In some cases, if you need two tuners per room it would be like replacing two or three 612's.

The 922 really is not that bad. I've had one for two years and I have not had any problems. I have an OTA module in it and an EHD. I've got over 500 recordings on it. I don't see it being much inferior to the 722k, if fact the 722k has been more annoying lately than the 922 because of the slow guide.

I don't suffer from the slow guide on my 722k on either of my dish accounts. But I did suffer from lost recordings, reboots, no way to create manual timers etc. with the 922. But I 'm glad you like your 922. I just couldn't suffer with the 922 any longer.

I don't think the Extender was ever announced as a product, so no need to announce it's demise. Didn't they just discuss it as a possible future product? No delivery date?

Scott gave us repeated rumored dates that the sling extender was expected to be released. They came and went without any sling extender. The sling extender was shown at least at two CES events in a row and is still listed on the Sling website ,but under a different name. But DISH never gave us a release date , just coming Sooonnn.

Can you please give some insight on how a 5 tuner dvr servers compares to a 922?
The ViP922 can be outfitted with four tuners (albeit two of them being OTA) and is capable of sending content to devices that aren't satellite receivers.
And I thought 3 session mean three streams at a time ?
If and when RVU clients become available, yes it does.

I didn't say that they were identical and to expect DISH to have more than a year jump in technology isn't reasonable, but the ViP922 isn't all that different intent-wise from the HR34.

The fatal flaw with the ViP922 (and with any sling adapter outfitted receiver AND the HR34) is the limitation on what devices can be clients.

So do I. :)

A lot of us here love to tinker. :)

But again I think (company wide) that most existing customers might not want one or care. Of course that is different for us here at SatelliteGuys. :D

Yes, some of us like to tinker.

And some of us need more tuners! I am willing to do a bit of wiring to facilitate replacing our 622 & 722 with a pair of 813s - easy job for the installer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)