Tell me why I should wait on the XIP receiver system?

I am going to go out on the limb here and say that MOST existing customers will NOT want to upgrade to the XIP.

The XIP is designed for NEW customers. It is designed so the installer needs to run just a single wire into the house from the dish. From there the installer plugs the XIP into your cable television line and from there you now have satellite distribution throughout your house where ever there is a cable tv line installed. Now the tech goes to each TV you want satellite on and installs the joey box and boom you now have satellite tv there with no additional wiring.

It will cut install times and install costs greatly.

For existing customers the XIP setup will probably require rewiring of some sort, as at the moment each room has a wire coming to it from the dish or switch. You wold need to take the additional rooms and unhook them from the dish or switch and hook them up to cable tv splitters making it a cable distribution network for the XiP to work. I don't see many people wanting to do this. And honestly besides sharing recording on your DVR in all rooms you don't really gain anything that you don't have now.

The big flaw I see in the XiP is if your main XiP box goes out then you have no TV on any of your televisions in your house.

So I think it will be GREAT for new customers but not so much for most existing customers... except for those like us who like to tinker. :D

The biggest factor to anyone should be the price of the additional 110 boxes for each room . IF there is no fee attached , it would be cost effective to me to have the Xip series. Right now I pay $14.00 a month for two 211ks + dvr software + my 722k, which covers 2 rooms. The computer room I have an hdmi splitter so I can watch in the living room too. If I could do the same thing in 4 rooms and pay no extra fees to do it I would really consider it. The other problem for me would be the amount of timers you could create on the 813. I have 81 timers on my 722k and my son has his 20 timers for kid shows. My wife has about 20 timers for HGTV on her 211k and another 10 on my 722k. IF we are limited to just 96 timers period , I would have to reconsider on the 813. OF course I could use the 813 on my tvs in the living room and the computer room and the master bedroom, and keep the 211k in my boys room. Then everyone would win. Decisions ,decisions......

I am going to go out on the limb here and say that MOST existing customers will NOT want to upgrade to the XIP.

The XIP is designed for NEW customers. It is designed so the installer needs to run just a single wire into the house from the dish. From there the installer plugs the XIP into your cable television line and from there you now have satellite distribution throughout your house where ever there is a cable tv line installed. Now the tech goes to each TV you want satellite on and installs the joey box and boom you now have satellite tv there with no additional wiring.

It will cut install times and install costs greatly.

For existing customers the XIP setup will probably require rewiring of some sort, as at the moment each room has a wire coming to it from the dish or switch. You wold need to take the additional rooms and unhook them from the dish or switch and hook them up to cable tv splitters making it a cable distribution network for the XiP to work. I don't see many people wanting to do this. And honestly besides sharing recording on your DVR in all rooms you don't really gain anything that you don't have now.
How about HD on TV2 without needing to pay for an extra receiver? (Yes I know I would still need the 110 box)

I want it only because ever since we had U-verse I got spoiled on the whole house DVR thing, and the ability to connect each receiver either via Coax or Cat5.

The big flaw I see in the XiP is if your main XiP box goes out then you have no TV on any of your televisions in your house.

And this is a major flaw in there design
with Directv 5 turners and you can use dvr or just hd receiver or the tv that have the software built in .
with Comcast the set top box will give you all of your channels and talk to to the dvr
Dish you have to change all of the receivers and if the main box is out no TV till they ship you a box .
when you obsolete all of you present line its poor design for me .

I would love to have all our recordings in one place, so we don't have to duplicate recordings on our bedroom 612's. Moving recordings via EHD is a PITA!

Agree on the potential need for more tuners, and the need for some robustness against 813 failures. I currently have a 722 and 2 612s, which is 6 sat tuners and 3 OTA tuners. I'm thinking TWO 813s would be a better solution for my family. Wonder what that would cost?

P.S. Piece of cake for me to wire that up myself. ;) It would take me longer to explain my setup to my installer than it would to do it myself.

When was the XIP originally promised for release and how late is it now?

I don't think a release date was ever announced or promised. The only date I saw was that it was to be turned over from Echostar to DISH in November. They appear to have met that timeframe.

Yep. There has NEVER been a release date to consumers. I'd expect that to happen at CES, less than a month away now. And as Scott said, we might see it released immediately.

I've thought it over, and decided I have little interest in the XiP813. The one thing it would give me is the whole house DVR, vice recordings in two locations now (which is not a problem). And as stated, one box going out could mean no satellite TV at all. My setup is working fine, no need to chance it.

Rumored to be released last month or early spring of 2012. So one deadline missed and another to go. Now the sling extender is still waiting to be released ,but I hear it is coming SOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Nope, November was to Dish, not consumers. Of course, there are plenty of rumors, just little substance to them.

The Sling Extender has been cancelled. I believe that was posted on this site weeks ago.

I love the idea that you can plug in a USB OTA tuner on the main box and the other boxes in the house could use the OTA feed.

THAT is the reason existing customers will want it (assuming it is less expensive than individual HD receivers at each TV).

I doubt it will be any less. I would bet the structure will be a mix of the current Dish and Direc structures:

813 as 1st Receiver - "free" monthly (but wouldn't be surprised if there is an up front premium like D*).
Standard DVR fee $6/Month
Whole Home DVR fee - $4/month
110s - $7/month each

I think I will take the old wait and see approach after the 922 debacle. I remember everyone being really excited about that releasing, and we all know how that turned out.

I thought that was Scott's gut, and not an official announcement. This allows some of us a thread of hope. :( N.B. I would not bet against Scott's gut.
No, I think they ran the numbers and determined the demand did not merit going forward.

I'm a tinkerer and I plan on putting it in my house.

I love to tinker! I actually ran an HDMI cable between my bedroom and living room complete with HDMI boxes in the walls just so I can have HD on both TV's. We seldom watch both TV's at once. So it's easy to have the rcvr in single mode and control it from whichever room I'm in. My wife laughed at the whole home DVR commercial from Direct and said, "Ha we can do that now!" I smiled with a little pride in my heart at that comment ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts