Telstar 12

Status
Please reply by conversation.

addase

Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
I have a 33" dish on a motor, linear lnb, can I get telstar 12 at 15W from southern Ontario Canada. I have been unable to lock into a signal.

As long as there is no line of sight issue, I dont see why not :)

Pretty low elevation for say Toronto (10 elevation). Make sure you are nto trying to pick up something that isn't on the America's beam (right column has the beam)

@ addase,
Did you have any luck in getting a signal from Telstar12?
I'm having the same problem.

Here's the footprint http://www.loralskynet.com/fleet/telstar12/Telstar12_Pamphlet.PDF

Toronto falls somewhere between 10 and 5 line on the map.Does that mean that EIRP for Toronto is only around 8 dBW??
Do I need a bigger dish?What's the minimum size?

Polarization for Telstar12 is noted as "Orthogonal Linear",is that the same as "Linear LNBF" I use for Telstar5?

Thanks

I know people on the east coast can get it with a 30 or 36" dish

I think that 8,9,10 is goofy..

5-10 EIRP, This is the C-BAND EIRP!

The graph does not give contour lines for Ku band EIRP, just a chart listing a few cities below the map.

Orthogonal linear means 2 linear polarizations at right angles to each other.

This is the usual FTA operating mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motor

addase said:
I have a 33" dish on a motor, linear lnb, can I get telstar 12 at 15W from southern Ontario Canada. I have been unable to lock into a signal.

Most H-H motors have a ±60°-70° range from your longitude. Pointing your dish to Telstar 12 at 15°W may be beyond the mechanical limit of your motor.

Thanks for this post...

It got me to looking elsewhere on Lyngsat other than just the United States. I found a couple of birds in the Atlantic page that look like I can pick up based on the signals my receiver is getting! :) whoo hoo. If I'm getting those signals this far west (Missouri), that probably means about half the nation can pick up at least one of the things listed on the Atlantic page at Lyngsat... :) I thought it weird that 61.5 was picking up more than was listed.. it was getting 61 bleed... got to fiddling and the sg2100 can go even further than that... whoo hoo - Black Belt TV! Looks like I can pick up 53 and 61, but not 55 so I'm guessing the neighbor's tree is hurting the reception. Well... almost. I get a frequency on 53, but no tps.

Last edited:
If you don't have obstructions (and depending on how far west from the east coast you are), you can pick up some of the Atlantic birds. Always look first at the BEAM though, many of them are not pointed toward North America even though they're above the horizon and we can see them.

best we can get here in MN is Hispasat at 30W but like Tron said, check those "beams" on the Atlantic satellites

Thanks to everyone for their help.I finally managed to lock on to the signal from telstar-12.The signal is actually stronger than telstar-5.
I haven't even fine tuned it and it's at 80%!

Main problem was getting my dish to aim at 10 degree elevation (Toronto).I had to find out the offset degree of my dish and adjust accordingly,the other thing that threw me off was that most transponders listed by Lyngsat aimed at North America did'n actually work.
The one that worked for me was;
11806-Vertical -7596-3/4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts