Temporary Mount for 6ft WSI dish (homemade)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Has anyone built a temporary mount for a 6 footer? IE- the spouse just decided I should install it temporarilly to ensure I like it before drilling in the backyard.
If so, please post pictures.

Because the WSI pannels are light weight (under 25lbs), I thought of slapping it on a sg2100 motor and using my existing pole. Obviously a bit of modding is needed.

Cheers, K

Iceberg has his on wheels I'm sure he will post pics in the morning, or lead you to his old thread about it, I am too tired right now to start searching..:D

How about a piece of 4X4 3/4" plywood, drill a hole 1/2 way through for the mast in the middle, 10' 1" conduit cut into 3 pieces squashed at the ends and drilled at one end (screw to plywood) and hose clamped to the mast at the other end? You can weigh down the plywood to keep it stable, but should be strong enough to work temporarily and somewhat portable if you find a better spot.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but would like to know if anyone has pics of a home made mount for a small (6 or 8 foot) dish. Was thinking of making one out of pressure treated wood, something like a pedestal stand. Only question is a way to adjust the elevation angle, it would have to have some type of telescoping bar. Base could be made triangular and weighted down with sand, blocks, rocks, etc.

I guess the dish could even be propped up against a building and stabilized with wooden legs. Thanks.

Why not use copper water pipe or electrical conduit, fittings and a few gate strap hinges? Assemble a lightweight and sturdy mount for $25-$30 using a hacksaw, drill and screwdriver and or propane torch / solder.

Fashion a large square base using pipe and 90 degree corner fittings. The uprights connection points could be next size larger T fittings sleeved over the base tubes.

The vertical adjuster could be a sleeved 1/2" pipe inside a 3/4". A pipe clamp could be used to secure the setting or tap a thread or drill an oversized hole and braze /weld on a nut.

Sounds like a great 2-3 hour project and a reason to go to Home Depot!

Last edited:
Awesome idea! If you don't want to or are not experienced with copper pipe and brazing. Just go with the electrical conduit. Grab a bender and taking your time if you are new at it; you could make a perfect circle easy. Believe it or not there are conduit bending contests!

Reactions: spongella
Back in 2009 I bolted my Fortec Star dish to a wood pallet and have had very good luck with it. I have moved it in various places in the yard.

The pallet is quite stable and is weighted down with some concrete pieces. Picture 011.jpg

Pictured here in it's original location.Picture 014.jpg

Reactions: RimaNTSS
All great ideas boys, thanks. Metal is better, no warping or absorption of rain/snow. Exhausted all leads for a factory made bracket, so time for a DIY project.

Any reason not to use PVC pipe? Main problem I see is it would bend at longer lengths. Metal is sturdier.

Sweating pipe is no problem, it'll be done outside and not risk burning down the house hi hi.

I HAD, and I'll repeat, HAD, PVC holding up a 1.2 m Channel Master. That stuff is much too bendy. A small breeze and it was wobblin' mighty.
How about Telespar ? I've got a 1.2 and a 30 inch on a base fashioned from it. (Adjustalble - The "T" the pipes are welded to accept the horizontal legs and can be slid along the base)

Just for a 'gander', here's a pic where U can C it.

telespar.jpg

The poles are a chain link fence post for the 30 inch and a 3ft piece of truck exhaust pipe for the 1.2m.

I guess Telespar is a brand name, as is Unistrut. Don't know a generic name for it.

Reactions: spongella
Has anyone built a temporary mount for a 6 footer? IE- the spouse just decided I should install it temporarilly to ensure I like it before drilling in the backyard.
If so, please post pictures.

Because the WSI pannels are light weight (under 25lbs), I thought of slapping it on a sg2100 motor and using my existing pole. Obviously a bit of modding is needed.

Cheers, K
Here's a couple of photos of a temporary mount that I made.
Shingles on the ground keep the grass from growing. Pallet is reinforced with extra screws. Support arms made from conduit. Fence post for a pole.
The main difficulty was keeping the pole plumb since the mount was laid out on frozen ground and when spring came things shifted.

upload_2015-5-20_9-49-38.jpeg

upload_2015-5-20_9-50-22.jpeg

G'luck with that!

Excellent work papabruski.

Can we see a photo of the whole setup from behind?

Here are a couple more shots. This was a temporary installation until a larger dish could be permanently installed elsewhere. Almost all of the information in setting it up was gleaned from this forum.
The dish is no longer installed and the mount now supports some solar panels which can be adjusted for elevation and azimuth with the motor so I can't show any current pictures.
I wore a path going to and fro doing adjustments and learned a good deal in the process. Fortunately, I had the time to invest.

upload_2015-5-21_7-11-30.jpeg

upload_2015-5-21_7-13-7.jpeg

My "temporary" C-Band mount has been in operation for 7 years!;)

Red: (as he duct tapes a spare tire to the flat tire) This is only temporary, unless it works. -Red Green

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)