Thanks Charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimWH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Tampa Fl.
Last night, Johann Santana pitched the first ever no-hitter for the METS. I was born and raised in Queens and have been a fan since the creation of the team. Thanks to DISH's pettiness in negotiating with SNY I did not get to see it. To be fair, I no longer live in NY and have 'moved' to still see NY tv. I did this in part so my wife could still see some of her NY favorites and so I could see NY sports. I could have switched providers and bought the baseball package at extra cost but that would have lost the rest of the NY programming. So, thanks again Charlie.

It's 100% on you. Dish offers what it does, meaning everything from all the channels it carries, to equipment, etc... Direct TV offers what it does. Etc.... Other than being in contract, YOU make the decision what provider overall gives you what you want.
You made a decision to circumvent policies, rather than get your Mets games. How important can they be then?
And even at that you still had other options. The baseball package over the internet is actually better, you could have had that, watched on a ROKU right on your TV, or on a computer, even watch the games wherever you are other than inside the NY DMA. That's what someone does who lives outside their favorite team's area.

Last edited:
Dish hasn't had SNY for a year now, with no glimmer of hope. You had opportuniy to switch, weighed your options, and made a choice to stay with Dish. Now you're upset about not getting a game you knew you chose not to get. Pathetic.

It's 100% on you.
BS!! customers sign up based on what DISH offers at that time..little do most customers realize that Charlie suffers a bad case of PMS when it comes to negotiations. He has very little respect for his own customers and seems to have forgotten it was the little people (his customers) that made him the multimillionaire he is today. He needs to step back and a long deep breath of reality and then just maybe he will begin to treat his customers as people rather than prisoners trapped in contracts!!

Dish hasn't had SNY for a year now, with no glimmer of hope. You had opportuniy to switch, weighed your options, and made a choice to stay with Dish. Now you're upset about not getting a game you knew you chose not to get. Pathetic.
maybe he is in a 2 year contract and cant afford to buy himself out

maybe he is in a 2 year contract and cant afford to buy himself out
OP states he could have switched but stayed so he could be a "mover" - his CHOICE.

Even if he had a contract, SNY was dropped 14 months ago. No one is really at a disadvantage after the initial 12 month discounts expire - D* is always a choice. The cost of the ETF or minimal Welcome Pack sub is offset by the 1st year credits with D*.

I just don't have any patience for the contract argument. Anyone with any sense knows these things change. Not factoring in or being prepared for the possible buy-out cost before making the choice is at best short sighted.

I thought I had made it clear, while I originally did live in NY I am now 'moved'. While pointing out why I didn't switch, I also acknowledged that I could have switched. My complaint with DISH is that the choice was forced. As far as I know every other provider in the NY market has managed to provide SNY. Many providers outside NY even have YES. I have a high regard for the DISH staff that I have worked with. They always try to be helpful. I am a bit surprised at the somewhat sycophantic support by some on this site for Mr. Ergan though.

Anyone with any sense knows these things change. Not factoring in or being prepared for the possible buy-out cost before making the choice is at best short sighted.

This is just a load of crap as well!!! And utterly ridiculous.

What customer is prepared for their provider to dump channels without their knowledge???

Just because you are some satellite nerd that is on this forum doesn't make you the norm.

People expect to get what they pay for when they sign up. If they had Time Warner, or Comcast, or Charter, this never happened to them. Why would they expect anything different from Dish or Direct TV???

Just because you have ingested the Kool-Aid powder and are ready to accept the bitterness without the sugar doesn't mean the average public has, nor should they be expected to.

And calling people pathetic, because they choose to stay with their current provider??? Who the hell are you? Just some pathetic internet satellite geek? (Does that give you warm fuzzies? I bet it didn't when you called the OP that, either)

Last edited:
I will generally side with the business side of things being in business myself. The majority of people who complain about these types of decisions rarely think about it from both sides, only from their own point-of-view. I've seen Charlie and heard him speak many times. I think he's a very smart business man and I trust the decisions he makes for his company. I would think he has good reason as to why he does not carry specific channels.

Like the rest have said. If you do not like what Dish has to offer you have the option to use a different provider that suits your needs.

This is just a load of crap as well!!! And utterly ridiculous.

What customer is prepared for their provider to dump channels without their knowledge???

Just because you are some satellite nerd that is on this forum doesn't make you the norm.

People expect to get what they pay for when they sign up. If they had Time Warner, or Comcast, or Charter, this never happened to them. Why would they expect anything different from Dish or Direct TV???

Just because you have ingested the Kool-Aid powder and are ready to accept the bitterness without the sugar doesn't mean the average public has, is nor should they be expected to.

And calling people pathetic, because they choose to stay with their current provider??? Who the hell are you? Just some pathetic internet satellite geek?
Channels disputes happen with ALL TV providers. Some may not notice because it may not be a channel they watch. It's the nature of the TV business, providers drop channels and have disputes every time contract get renewed. This is not just a Dish thing. It just seems to happen a little more with Dish.

Channels disputes happen with ALL TV providers. Some may not notice because it may not be a channel they watch. It's the nature of the TV business, providers drop channels and have disputes every time contract get renewed. This is not just a Dish thing. It just seems to happen a little more with Dish.

Again, that's BS. You are just living in your DISH covered dome. There's a whole wide world out there where these things don't happen, or if there are disputes, they are NEVER noticed by or affect the providers customers.

Please provide proof that other major providers have completely dropped channels because they do not want to pay. I'll be waiting.......

Well in my area we have Dish, DirecTV and Mediacom. Believe me that I know when another provider is threatening to drop or does drop a channel. Our sales skyrocket during that time period. I remember when Mediacom was going to drop our local Fox channel right before the Bowl game the Hawkeyes were playing in. We had customers switching to Dish like crazy. It's happened with DirecTV too.

I will admit that it seemes to happen more with Dish though but it is their business and they have the right to make any dicisions that benefit them. It is a business and it needs to be though of it as one. I do like Dish but I will back any TV provider that drops channels in oder to fight against price increases.

You made a choice. Life is full of choices. The Mets can't be as important as you make them out to be to you or you would have made sure one way or another you could watch their games. Bottom line - Dish did not prevent you from seeing the Mets, you did that to yourself. You're mad because you are not in the DMA and can't watch NY sports, well you are not supposed to be able to. The fact that Dish doesn't carry NY sports is actually irrelevant to your situation as you are not supposed to get them. And a very easy solution would have been to get the MLB package online, on Roku, etc.....

And no provider can give YES to anyone outside the NY DMA.

Look at it this way Santana pitched a one hitter the blind 3rd base umpire gave him a undeserving no hitter for the books so u didn't miss anything.

Look at it this way Santana pitched a one hitter the blind 3rd base umpire gave him a undeserving no hitter for the books so u didn't miss anything.

+1 Santana did pitch a 1 hitter if it wasnt for that 1 bad blind ump call down 3rd base line :) umps>>>:cool::D:)

Again, that's BS. You are just living in your DISH covered dome. There's a whole wide world out there where these things don't happen, or if there are disputes, they are NEVER noticed by or affect the providers customers.

Please provide proof that other major providers have completely dropped channels because they do not want to pay. I'll be waiting.......

You know better.

Direct TV dropped G4 article sites cost.
DirecTV drops G4 | News Briefs | EW.com

Western and Eastern Ct originally had SNY, Charter then did not keep it for Eastern Ct. Only recently did it come back.

UConn-SNY Deal Ignites Cable Tussle - Hartford Courant

"While it would appear to be a no-brainer, negotiations to put SNY on in Connecticut could get tricky over — you guessed it — money.

"Regional sports networks are very expensive," Cohan said, "and we have to balance that cost with the desire for our subscribers to have the network."

And, I can find no online article, but Fios in Pasco quietly dropped History I channel. It was never in HD but they had it.

Oh ya, you only asked for one..........sorry.

Last edited:
Charlie is a smart businessman that just hates sports...i commend him to try and keep prices lower but when your in 1 of the biggest markets and you dont have a channel up in that market there is something wrong.Charlie needs to get the channels back up in the N.Y Area :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)