Thanksgiving Contest - Free Glorystar DSR100c System - Enter to Win! Ends 12.1.2008

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
My favorite Thanksgiving memory was from when I was in the Army stationed in Alaska. I knew the Holiday's were coming and was wondering what I would do for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I lived in Ohio and knew no one up there. As it turned out, all the married soldiers, NCO's and regular enlisted, invited all the singles living in the barracks to their quarters for dinner. All were extremely happy not to have to eat in the mess hall. This was practiced for every holiday and never had to spend a holiday alone. I was and still am very grateful to those families for taking me and other single soldiers into their homes, then and though the years, so we did not spend a holiday alone.

My favorite memory, believe it or not, is driving through a blizzard to get to my grandparent's house for Thanksgiving and introducing them and my parents to the girl who is now my wife.

My favorite memory of Thanksgiving is when all my family, my 3 aunts and uncles, 8 cousins, and of course my mom and dad, brother and sisters, would gather at my grand father's house. He is gone now and the family rarely sees each other anymore, but those memories of Thanksgivings past are precious to me.

Thanksgiving Memory

I have bunches of Thanksgiving Memories but most of them are images I have with my rather small family gathered at my grandparents home. I can still picture my grandmother, all dressed neatly, getting out her fine china and such. The smell of the food cooking. She'd always make sure to cook some Macaroni and Cheese for me, it was my essential item for Thanksgiving.

And it was at a time when I didn't think about shopping and black Friday, so while we looked over the newspaper, it was more of a relaxing thing... which as a kid growing up, could get somewhat boring, but looking back, I can see how the downtime was beneficial. I could sure use that now.

My favorite memory from Thanksgiving was 13 years ago when we had my last remaining Grandparent (the only one I really remember) over to our newly built home to visit with us and to meet our newly born daughter. We named our daughter after her because we loved the name so much. We didn't realize how much this meant to my grandmother at the time, but things that were said later revealed how touched she was that her name would remain in the family.
This was the last time we actually spent with Grandma, as she spent the remaining holiday season with family in another state, and passed away shortly thereafter. Yet her name is spoken often in our home, and sometimes I just catch the sound of her name when someone is speaking to our daughter and instantly reflect back upon the warmth and love that I have for both of them, and that special time that we were able to spend together on that last holiday.

I can't say that I have a favorite thanksgiving,but think of it as an evolution in my life with my family. At one time I would have said that my early years and holidays at my Grandparents were the best . Now I have to say that since I am the Grandpa I look at holidays in a new light, and I hope that when my grandchildren are grown, that they can say that some of the best times they have had were with their grandparents.

We have a winner!

RHowell..... Congratulations on winning the new GLORYSTAR Christian Satellite System with the GEOSATpro DSR100c receiver. Thank you for your entry!

We thank everyone for contributing to a great thread. If the contest was awarded based on an essay, we would have had a difficult choice.

Reading about your memorable occasions reminded me of so many simple acts of caring that I have witnessed, the occasions to participate in community outreach and the wonderful times spent with family and friends throughout the years! We can have such an impact on anyone around us if we only reach out in kindness and with a true concern for others.

From all of us to you and yours, we wish you an enjoyable holiday season.

Remember the reason for the season!

My favorite Thanksgiving memories, when I was growing, every Thanksgiving morning my father would wake us boys up to go Turkey hunting. We would not go home until we had something to cook when we got home. We always killed one. I guess thats how the Pilgrims did it. God Bless America

Congrats to RHowell. - :eek:

When ya get it running, post a few pix back here on the forum, and tell us how ya like it! - :up

And a big thanks to Glorystar for the fine contest.
I certainly enjoyed reading the entries, as well!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)