The 2009 MLB All-Star Game

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
We are 9 days from the Midsummer Classic, and with the rosters finalized (other than the final player in each league that can be selected online), I want to start Midsummer Classic talk.

Let's start with a few questions:

1. For anyone who has been to an All-Star Game, what was the experience like? (I know Wozniak went to the 1971 game and Bill went to the 1999 game- I wonder if Salsa went to the 1990 game in Chicago.)

2. How do you feel about the All-Star Game itself?

3. What are the chances one of the hometown Cardinal players hits a homer? The last times a player played a big role in an All-Star game in his own stadium were Pedro in 1999 and Sandy Alomar in 1997.

4. Do you think the National League will FINALLY snap their drought and win? (Personally, I think this is the year they will get off the schnide.) They have not won one since 1996. Here's what was going on the last time the National League won a Midsummer Classic:

The Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls, and Kentucky basketball were champions in their respective sports

Kevin Garnett had just completed his rookie season

The coaches of the four major league sports teams in Beantown were Bill Parcells, M.L. Carr, Kevin Kennedy, and Steve Kaspar

The Nintendo 64 was introduced

Report: Pedroia might skip All-Star Game to remain with wife

By: Joe Haggerty
ESPN.com's Peter Gammons first floated the notion out there via his Twitter account ("All Dustin Pedroia cares about is that his wife Kelli and their baby is healthy. He;s probably going to skip StL Pray. Great humans" wrote Gammons) that second baseman Dustin Pedroia might skip the All-Star Game in St. Louis and remain in Boston to be with his pregnant wife Kelli. Sox manager Terry Francona said Thursday afternoon that the Sox have made Major League Baseball aware of Pedroia's family situation -- with his wife still in the hospital after going in premature labor earlier this week -- but that the reigning AL MVP had yet to make a decision against participating. "His wife is going through a very serious time right now," said Francona. "There's always a chance he wouldn't play because we don't know what's going to happen, but the plan is for him to play. If he needs to not play then I would certainly support that. It's stating the obvious: his wife's in the hospital and if needs to not go then he won't."

Looks like we're are going to have an all Phillies outfield, once Braun comes out of the game.

Last edited:
I'll be taking three days off to catch up on my reading, do some fine cooking and relaxing watching some movies and listening to music. Time to decompress from the game........:D

Pedroia skipping All-Star Game
By: Alex Speier

Multiple outlets are now reporting Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia -- who was voted in to the All-Star Game as a starter -- will skip this year's affair, scheduled for Tuesday in St. Louis.
The Red Sox second baseman issued the following statement on Sunday regarding the All-Star Game:

“After consulting with Tito, Theo, Phyllis Merhige of Major League Baseball and my wife, Kelli, I have decided to withdraw from this year’s All-Star Game in St. Louis. I will instead stay in Boston with my wife as we tend to a family health matter.

This was certainly not an easy decision. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the game of baseball and for the All-Star Game and am incredibly honored that the fans voted me this year’s starting second baseman for the American League. I am disappointed that I will not be able to enjoy the amazing experience with the other All-Stars, especially with my Red Sox teammates, but it is important that I put my family first at this time.

I want to thank Major League Baseball as well as Tito and Theo for supporting me in this decision. I also want to thank the fans for their understanding and the continued support they have shown throughout my career.”
For more Sox information, check out our baseball blog, "Full Count."
Reportedly, Carlos Pena will get Pedroia's roster spot.

No word yet on who will start at 2B (Aaron Hill or Ian Kinsler).

Who was the last N.L. team to have their outfield on the all-star team the same year and name the players.
You being a Pittsburgh fan, I would assume it must be the Pirates (the reason why you probably asked). The last time the Pirates had 3 all star outfielders is during the Clemente era. I would assume it had to be Roberto Clemente, Al Oliver, and Willie Stargell???

ETA: I remember in 1991, the first 4 batters in the lineup (after a replacement or 2) were Dodgers: Bret Butler, Juan Samuel, Darell Strawberry, and Eddie Murray.

You being a Pittsburgh fan, I would assume it must be the Pirates (the reason why you probably asked). The last time the Pirates had 3 all star outfielders is during the Clemente era. I would assume it had to be Roberto Clemente, Al Oliver, and Willie Stargell???

You are right, 1972.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts