The 2009 MLB All-Star Game

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not too long ago the NL had won 19 of 20. This series has had it's streaks.

There's cyclical, and then there's this. This is truly a bizarre streak. Did the AL dominate inter-league play this year again too? Haven't seen the numbers, but it surely seemed that way.

Sandra

There's cyclical, and then there's this. This is truly a bizarre streak. Did the AL dominate inter-league play this year again too? Haven't seen the numbers, but it surely seemed that way.

Sandra
The AL will always dominate IL play no matter how good each league is, simply because of the DH. Most AL teams have one of their best hitters as the DH so when they match up in an AL ballpark they get to use their best hitter while the NL has to use someone who is not good enough to play everyday as their DH. When they play in an NL park most AL teams put their DH in the field so they do not lose much.

I think the difference in the leagues isn't much when you match the good teams and the good players. The big difference lies between those really bad teams. There are no teams in the AL comparable to the Pads, Nats, Pirates, and D-Backs. Heck look at how the Rockies dominate the AL in IL every single year.

This year the AL won 137 games while the NL won 114. 23 more wins or a difference of 11.5 games.

Here are the stats for each team in IL play this year: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11786188

Interestingly the Pirates has a winning record against the AL while the Phils had a losing record.

Some teams played more IL games this year than other teams (that just doesn't seem right)

I can not believer Maddon didn't let Time Wakefield pitch in what was his first and probably only All-star game. He couldn't have pitched instead of Burhle or Jackson? Very disappointed, seeing him pitch was the main reason I tuned in last night. He sure made sure all the Rays got in the game, though.

What a jerk. :(

The AL will always dominate IL play no matter how good each league is, simply because of the DH. Most AL teams have one of their best hitters as the DH so when they match up in an AL ballpark they get to use their best hitter while the NL has to use someone who is not good enough to play everyday as their DH. When they play in an NL park most AL teams put their DH in the field so they do not lose much.

I think the difference in the leagues isn't much when you match the good teams and the good players. The big difference lies between those really bad teams. There are no teams in the AL comparable to the Pads, Nats, Pirates, and D-Backs. Heck look at how the Rockies dominate the AL in IL every single year.

This year the AL won 137 games while the NL won 114. 23 more wins or a difference of 11.5 games.

Here are the stats for each team in IL play this year: 2009 Interleague statistics - MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball

Interestingly the Pirates has a winning record against the AL while the Phils had a losing record.

Some teams played more IL games this year than other teams (that just doesn't seem right)

Does the AL teams home record in IL support your theory about the DH? No stats on the link breaking it down for home and away.

Here are the stats for each team in IL play this year: 2009 Interleague statistics - MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball

Sounds like a huge rationalization from an NL fan. Half of the IL games are in NL ballparks, where the AL team is at a distinct disadvantage. If they put their DH in the field they're still down a hitter no matter how you look at it. :rolleyes:

Sandra

Does the AL teams home record in IL support your theory about the DH? No stats on the link breaking it down for home and away.
Doesn't matter. The AL teams are not effected as much. Their best hitter usually plays home (as a DH) or away (as a position player) and at home they have an extra good hitter, whereas the NL replaces their pitcher with a hitter that is not that much better.

One reason why the Rockies usually do so good is they they often play more like an AL team and often have a 4th outfielder or an extra infielder that can still hit pretty good.

Sounds like a huge rationalization from an NL fan. Half of the IL games are in NL ballparks, where the AL team is at a distinct disadvantage. If they put their DH in the field they're still down a hitter no matter how you look at it. :rolleyes:

Sandra
It is more of an explanation as I see it.

The good teams in both leagues are evenly matched. That is why the last 8 WS have been split despite the AL having home-field advantage in all of them.

The talent in both leagues is evenly matched. The NL has two more teams to spread the talent out and they also have more smaller market teams that cannot afford the talent.

Two reasons why the AL will do better in IL play more often than not (that does not mean they will do better every single year):

1. The NL has more bad teams and they are often the worst teams in baseball and in the smallest markets in baseball
  2. The NL does not have the extra good hitter that the AL has (their full-time DH)
Agree with it or not, I don't care.

I like your theory, I was just wondering if the "home" record of AL teams bore this out. Other than that, I think that the AL may have an edge in overall talent. This is not a "homer" thing, just an opinion based on what I see.

I like your theory, I was just wondering if the "home" record of AL teams bore this out. Other than that, I think that the AL may have an edge in overall talent. This is not a "homer" thing, just an opinion based on what I see.
Overall talent per all teams is much greater in the AL. Overall talent on the individual top teams within each league is pretty evenly matched.

Am I the only one that heard the ridiculous statement by Tim McCarver stating the Youkilis, according to him, his numbers and his salary...is MORE valuble than Pujols, Morneau AND Teixeira...??!!!!

I understand he has put up good numbers and I will give in to the fact that he MAYBE in the "great player" category......but he is NOT, IMHO, in the category of those guys I have mentioned in this post.

Am I the only one that heard the ridiculous statement by Tim McCarver stating the Youkilis, according to him, his numbers and his salary...is MORE valuble than Pujols, Morneau AND Teixeira...??!!!!

I understand he has put up good numbers and I will give in to the fact that he MAYBE in the "great player" category......but he is NOT, IMHO, in the category of those guys I have mentioned in this post.

And what was the point of FOX putting up the graphic that said Youkilis can play first base and third base and makes $6M dollars, and comparing that to what A-Rod and Texeira make combined? McCarver finally said what we were all thinking, even Youkilis can't play both positions at the same time. He's not Bugs Bunny!

Sounded like a Joe Morgan statement, although Morgan would have belabored the point a good hour longer than McCarver did. :rolleyes:

Sandra

He was actually saying that Youkilis is the best bargain in the league. Not best, but money wise and what the production they're getting out of him in return has to be the best bargain in the league.

For instance. Youk is making a cool $6 million a year. Those other boys are making $15-$25 million a year.

He is just as good of a player as Teixeira. And he did not say Morneau or Pujols. He said Arod. Like I said, he certainly just as good as Tex, and is more "clutch" than Arod. I don't know where you got those other names from, because they were not even mentioned when they were talking about Youkilis.

I could have sworn he mentioned those names because I heard the names...and I caught a tail end of a graph.

Again, Youkilis is bordering on being a great player. But if Teixeira, Morneau, Pujols and Youkilis were to be free agents RIGHT NOW...I highly doubt he would get more suitors than the forementioned players I listed....

He is good, but not the category of those guys....including A-Rod.