The 942 is HERE!

Its hard to judge the tuner so far, but it did lock on all the digital channels in my area nicely, the 921 had trouble tuning in 2 of them, however it could be a case of weather conditions being better last night then a better tuner in the 942. I will report more on this over the next few days.

since when did they start putting the tvguide logo on the on the dish program guide.

Stupid question probably, but I haven't had dish on since September when I moved.

Can you give us some more screenshots of things like the menu and such.

Thanks Scott

Dish Roamer said:
Where can we order one of these if we are a current customer?

Wayne

DishStore.NET will have them. That is where I got mine. They are not doing a waiting list. When they are in Checkout SatelliteGuys we will let you know when they have them in stock and you can have a unit the next day. :D

danielle_s said:
since when did they start putting the tvguide logo on the on the dish program guide.

Stupid question probably, but I haven't had dish on since September when I moved.

Can you give us some more screenshots of things like the menu and such.

Thanks Scott

The TV Guide Logo is new in the 942. Same old guide but now it is branded by TV guide.

I will be doing more screen shots as well as a video going over some of the features of the 942. :)

Stay tuned!

Scott Greczkowski said:
DishStore.NET will have them. That is where I got mine. They are not doing a waiting list. When they are in Checkout SatelliteGuys we will let you know when they have them in stock and you can have a unit the next day. :D

Thanks Scott.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The TV Guide Logo is new in the 942. Same old guide but now it is branded by TV guide.

I will be doing more screen shots as well as a video going over some of the features of the 942. :)

Stay tuned!
I wonder, has DirecTV's program guide been branded? Probably since you know who owns it.

I guess VOOM's the only company now that has it's own unique program guide yet it works alot like the TVGuide that cable companies use.

Oh well, I guess being unique is dead now.

Just for fun, I contacted SBC (for whom I go through to get Dish Network). I asked whether or not they had the 942 availabe for lease. The lady was really nice and tried to get me an answer...but as of yet, no 942s are available for lease or purchase. I knew what the answer would be...but had to ask just in case...plus wanted to go on record to say, "Hey DISH! I want to lease this thing?" Hopefully others will do the same to get our point across to get these leases going.

I'll wait somewhat patiently for an announcement about the lease program.

Scott, thanks for the great info on the 942. I clearly remember the HD Tivo HR10-250 review you did a year ago (nice touch with the white castles).

Anyway, other than a faster guide for the 942, do you see any major pros and cons versus the HD Tivo?

Thanks!

It wasnt me who wrote the HD Tivo Review, I believe it was Doug Swallow who did it. :)

However I have played with both and the nice part about the Dish 942 is it operates like all other Dish receivers, if your a Dish Network customer you can sit and front of it and within a few seconds it feels like home, on the DirecTivo it was a learning curb to try learning and understanding the Tivo interface.

If Dish had more HD content I would have no problem recomending the 942 over the HD Tivo, again this thing is what the 921 should have been.

Scott, I have a new 921 in a box, never opened, which I just haven't gotten around to setting up yet. Would you sell it and go for the 942, or stick with the 921?

Smith said:
Scott, will we see pictures of guts your 942 soon ? :) Curios what CPU, RAM, disk installed there.

I am very curious of the HD size...if they are going to go with VOD, there is definately no spare space based on 25 hrs of HD recording :no If the HD is bigger and there is more space for the VOD and it is reserved, I would sooner see it go to allowing me to record more HD that I want!

Alt

BFG said:
HD Tivo still has 2 ota tuners to record with, and the 942 does not...

I wish E* would make the OTA tuners modular on their HD receivers.

Base receiver = No OTA Tuner. Lower price for those that can't use or don't want OTA.

Option 1 = 1 OTA Tuner module.

Option 2 = 2 OTA Tuner module.

NightRyder

Arent the 5000 and 6000 the only receivers that had modules? Dish musta fired the guy who designed those for being too smart ;)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Mike I have been told by two seperate folks at Dish that the port does not pass audio. I don't have HDMI on any of the HDTV's that I have so I can not tell you if this is true or not. I am just taking their word for it. :)
if that is true why didnt they just use a dvi output instead of the hdmi no audio output thingy they have

HokieEngineer said:
Arent the 5000 and 6000 the only receivers that had modules? Dish musta fired the guy who designed those for being too smart ;)

No doubt. He probably would have come up with some other crazy ideas like quick swap hard drives or wireless connectivity. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts