The DIRECTV HD Starship Puts the HD in High-Def with the World's Largest LED Screen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The DIRECTV HD Starship Puts the 'High' in High-Def with the World's Largest LED Screen in the SkyState-of-the-Art Blimp to Carry DIRECTV HD Message to Fans During 2007 MLB World Series

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 24, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is taking its high-definition dominance to the next level -- that would be 1,000 feet above Boston's Fenway Park -- aboard the DIRECTV HD Starship, a blimp specially equipped with an HD aerial camera system and the world's largest airborne LED video screen.

The first of its kind to operate in North America and one of only two worldwide, the blimp and its 2,100-square foot video light sign will display DIRECTV HD spots and messaging in full color when it makes its debut over Fenway Park tonight for the first game of the 2007 MLB World Series.
The flying LED billboard is part of a massive marketing campaign launched recently by DIRECTV that includes national TV and print ads underscoring DIRECTV's industry-leading offer of more than 70 national HD channels with up to 100 by the end of the year.

The blimp, operated by the Lightship Group, will also provide HD aerial camera shots for the Fox Sports broadcast of the 2007 MLB World Series in Boston. The DIRECTV HD blimp will also travel to NFL and college football games this season and NASCAR races next year.

"We've taken the HD high ground from the competition, now we've commandeered the airspace above to let consumers know who has best and most HD programming," said Jon Gieselman, senior vice president, Advertising and Public Relations, DIRECTV, Inc. "And who better to send that message to than sports fans who have been driving the growth of HD. In this case the medium -- an HD aerial camera system and a giant, airborne LED video screen -- really is the message. DIRECTV offers a colossal HD experience."

The 178-foot long blimp, emblazoned in DIRECTV blue and white, features the 70x30-foot full color monitor just beneath the DIRECTV logo. The video light sign, with a resolution of 33,600 total pixels, is the largest ever made for a blimp. The airship can travel up to 35 miles per hour and remain airborne up to six hours.

Source: DIRECTV

yea this is a great promotion they should have used that money so i can get my hd locals so i could watch the game on D* instead of OTA. Most sports in HD my ass.

yea this is a great promotion they should have used that money so i can get my hd locals so i could watch the game on D* instead of OTA. Most sports in HD my ass.

And the difference is? If you get OTA what are you missing?

I usually DON'T watch my local D* feed, I usually alway's watch them OTA using the D* receiver tuner. (no Digital OTA tuner on my Mits)

Last edited:
Photo

Forgot to attach !!!

Attachments

• Direct Airship.jpg
    Direct Airship.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 246
Do you still feel that FiOS is the best HD provider? I looked at their offering, and can put them no better than 4th in this (NYC) market.

DirecTV, DISH, and CABLEVISION all have more HD channels than FIOS.

Do you still feel that FiOS is the best HD provider? I looked at their offering, and can put them no better than 4th in this (NYC) market.

DirecTV, DISH, and CABLEVISION all have more HD channels than FIOS.

Do you still feel the yankees are better than the red sox? Last I checked, the blimp is not headed for the bronx. Unless steinbrenner is coming to town.

I only tuned in for a little bit in the 5th inning when the Rockies collapsed, but just happened to catch it. Guess the game became so boring at that point, they went to their corporate sponsor info. Nice shot of the blimp all lit up with text that said something about (paraphrasing) "Switch to Directv. Call xxxx." Something like that. I thought it looked pretty cool. Joe Buck did mention that the blimp was going to be at all the games.

While this is likely the largest blimp-mounted display, I'm going to be putting video on a 2,400 square foot LED display next weekend. Oregon State University's display at Reser Stadium is 80' wide by 30' tall. Daktronics

It is an interesting gimmick to be sure, but I wonder how many people are going to be looking skyward to watch the goings on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)