The Dish Network User Interface Thread

I still have a DTV PAL DVR. I will give Dish credit. They did make some of the better OTA converters back in the day.

The TIVO OTA DVR is much much better.

One thing about the government coupons. We refused to participate in the program. The people who this program was intended to help did not get coupons or know how to request them.

Everyone who wanted to redeem them where just redeeming them because it was a free government hand out. They did not need them as they already has satellite or cable

I had 3. I gave one of mine away to a neighbor, not sure if they still use it. The guys wife had to have Dish shortly after I gave it to them. I still have 2 more Pal dvrs. One here and one in Vegas. I finally disconnected the one here as with the TiVo and mini’s, it wasn’t used anymore.

I'm BAAACK! And whoever asked for the original turquoise menu UI found on legacy receiver models 2700/3700/3000/4000 and the JVC D-VHS, you got it, and you've asked for it!

38578249614_5c6a5ceee5_o.png
This is the "Theme Categories" menu by the way! You'll thank me later! Now, who can come up with the nickname for the 1996 legacy Dish turquoise UI?

My nickname for it is "Fugly."

It didn't have a lot of bling, but it was clean and functional. Something like an RCA DRD403 would put it to shame with the channel logos and all the 8 bit icons. You could set the main menu to be a living room and you'd get all these crude icons (one bring the RCA dog) and you'd move around and click on different things in the room for the menu selections.

TniigM0.png

Last edited:
It didn't have a lot of bling, but it was clean and functional. Something like an RCA DRD403 would put it to shame with the channel logos and all the 8 bit icons. You could set the main menu to be a living room and you'd get all these crude icons (one bring the RCA dog) and you'd move around and click on different things in the room for the menu selections.

TniigM0.png

Looks like a rip-off of the ill-fated Microsoft "Bob"! :D hehe

I disagree with Wiki. For all practical purposes, Microsoft made a big fancy televised announcement, and discontinued Bob immediately after the cameras shut down.

In fact, it was dropped because they could not get regulatory approval for the follow on product, “Billy Bob,” where you could go to the kitchen and click on the refrigerator and have a beer delivered to you. Really.

;)
:oldwink

Now, who can come up with the nickname for the 1996 legacy Dish turquoise UI?
TGIGUI (Thank Goodness It's Gone User Interface)
That was the only Dish interface that I have actually hated. Every time I would scroll a couple of hours forward or backward in the guide, it would have to download the guide data, and it seemed to take forever. I couldn't switch to 301's fast enough. I got two 301's when they first came out, and that was a big improvement.

TniigM0.png
Thanks for the memories of my very first satellite receiver. This is what I was used to before I switched to Dish.

I am much less caring about the look of any interface, it's all about the functionality.... ;) After all, I only use the interface to get to the program I want to see and the program is what I really care about! :)
Agree with that. For all the fancy interface on my hopper 3, it still has a pile of bugs that never get fixed.

I'm BAAACK! And whoever asked for the original turquoise menu UI found on legacy receiver models 2700/3700/3000/4000 and the JVC D-VHS, you got it, and you've asked for it!

38578249614_5c6a5ceee5_o.png
This is the "Theme Categories" menu by the way! You'll thank me later! Now, who can come up with the nickname for the 1996 legacy Dish turquoise UI?
That was a UI? I get what others are saying about functionality over aesthetics, but that to me looks like Windows 3.1. Windows 3.1 was a functioning system, but is well past its time.

That was a UI? I get what others are saying about functionality over aesthetics, but that to me looks like Windows 3.1. Windows 3.1 was a functioning system, but is well past its time.

Keep in mind this was the mid-late 90's and the receivers only had so much memory and processing power. As someone else pointed out, Dish only sent out 48 hours of guide data and the receiver could only store a couple hours at a time and would download it as you browsed...painful! It's amazing how far technology has come in the last 20 years.

I remember just being thrilled it told me what was on as I changed the channel! And it couldn't even handle channel changing well, it would take forever to lock on to a transponder and sometimes crash so I always used browse to see what was on.

And don't get me started on the 4000 receiver, it suffered from constant blackouts. In the middle of watching something, every minute or two the screen would go black for a second and lose sound. They never fixed that...

Keep in mind this was the mid-late 90's and the receivers only had so much memory and processing power. As someone else pointed out, Dish only sent out 48 hours of guide data and the receiver could only store a couple hours at a time and would download it as you browsed...painful! It's amazing how far technology has come in the last 20 years.

I remember just being thrilled it told me what was on as I changed the channel!
I remember those days as well, not with Dish. We had the Scientific Atlantic (or Atlanta) "smart box" with Media One, then AT&T Boradband, then Comcast. The big difference for us was that it was in dark blue and yellow. I remember when you changed the channel, you got a description of the show, which (If I remember coreectly) looking like it was put up using black label maker tape.

I remember well how I took the dish over 20 years ago, and precisely in 1998 and it was the month of June and it was a promotion that I could watch the world cup in France, I always chose a full program package with access to local and regional channels and programs premium HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Encore, Flix altogether, I had probably over 300 TV and radio channels,then I had a competitive DirecTV digital platform, as for me, two digital platforms are for me until today are the leaders

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)