The End of VOOM?

The real sad part is, they were so close to being a complete provider....
Anyone 250 million in their backpocket to outbid Echostar... When I wake up tomorrow morning, I just hope someone answered yes on this one.
I really don't want to get away from Voom and end up with the handfull of HD channels at Dish....

as a directv sub. I was hoping they would lower their price a bit, adn I would def. have loved to had them and directv, I am sad to see them go even though I didnt subscribe to them

mike123abc said:
Other VOOM assets:

1. Ka satellite locations (not to mention the contract to build them)
2. Ku-FSS satellite lease (Echostar has a lot of deals with SES maybe they could use this one)
3. VOOM 21 channels... Maybe they could sell content to cable or DBS
4. Customers, but such a small number that E/D probably would not notice them

Hmm. I'm wondering if the best thing to do with the 21 channels is condense them down to about 4 HD channels (combining some of those with the strongest content) and market them to the other satellite and cable providers to compete with (or as an alternative to) HDNet and INHD.

As far as the customers, without Voom as a service they are not really an asset. All they are is a lead list, and most of us are already on E* and/or D* customer database. Unqualified leads sell real cheap. Qualified leads are worth more but are often subject to de-duping against the buyers databases so that they only pay for any leads that they don't already have.

mike123abc said:
Other VOOM assets:

1. Ka satellite locations (not to mention the contract to build them) ($100 million to cancel ,better then paying a billion )

2. Ku-FSS satellite lease (Echostar has a lot of deals with SES maybe they could use this one) ( maybe a buyout, lease to someone else )

3. VOOM 21 channels... Maybe they could sell content to cable or DBS (a lot of that content is tied/licensed to be shown on Voom only, maybe they can make a couple channels out of them for E* or D* )

4. Customers, but such a small number that E/D probably would not notice them
( I am guessing that about 1/4 to 1/2 already have other providers )

vurbano said:
I just called a CSR to give them a new phone number. Then I told the girl about the E* deal. She had no clue. Give it a try its amusing.

I'm sure glad you got a kick out of giving her thoughts of a possible layoff . Sounds pretty cold hearted to me .....

,,........................................NM2046

voom still maybe!!

could chalres dolan still maybe buy the new bird from cablevision and keep voom going cablevision stands to make more money selling two birds to two diff people or organization.All the presnet voomers will need is a repeak to the new degree the bird is sitting at right.Just a thought probally a crazy one.just trying to keep hope alive for us voom lovers

There is no new bird, they were going to lease space on a bird already there,
even with E* buying the bird, Voom will still have lost $300-500 million dollars, investors will kill if they stay open somehow ( it won't happen )

So much for Voom. I feel bad for the subscribers out there, especially the ones that bought their equipment.

trey0522 said:
let me think of something else to try to keep hope alive :mad:

They own a lot of MVDSS spectrum ( just think of wireless but with Video instead of internet ), maybe Voom will be back.

I asked this over in the DVR forum but hope no one minds me asking here...now the voom isn't going to be do you think Dish could buy the rights to their dvr or whatever it takes...I was waiting anxiously for that dvr and the use of thin clients so I could watch recorded stuff on any tv in the house and also the follow me feature if you are watching something you can pick it up in another room right where you left off.

trey0522 said:
let me think of something else to try to keep hope alive :mad:

Guys, don't go into denial here. VOOM is dead and gone. It is just a matter of when they shut off the service.

MarcelV said:
The real sad part is, they were so close to being a complete provider....
Anyone 250 million in their backpocket to outbid Echostar... When I wake up tomorrow morning, I just hope someone answered yes on this one.
I really don't want to get away from Voom and end up with the handfull of HD channels at Dish....

The impression I have is that there is already a definitive agreement in place. That means it's a done deal if the approvals go through, bidding is already closed. With a definitive agreement there are usually big penalties to whoever backs out of the agreement before the sale is finalized.

I agree though that it is sad, and that they finally seemed to be getting their act together and all the pieces in place.

Son of a Bitch!

This really sucks. VOOM kicks (kicked) E*'s ass in terms of HD content and pq. Now I have to consider going back to E*. Crap. :mad:

after the transition period, they probably will shut us off. echostar did not buy the subs. It sounds like we will have to fend for ourselves.

Wow, bummer. It's very depressing to imagine going back to life with only a few HD channels and SD PQ so poor it's not worth recording to the DVD-R. So 90% of future "quality" viewing will be 480p from the XP-50; just NOT THE SAME!

Sad, sad day, except that I'm still watching VOOM...looks great!

BC

Umm, my install is scheduled for the 25th. What do you think I should do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)