The End of VOOM?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think I would not have cancelled an install that is only going to cost you $1. Personally, I don't think we have seen the entire story yet. Dish did buy the Sat and the station, but that does not mean that Cablevision is not in additional negotiations with Dish or another provider to carry all or part of the VOOM package. Either way, I am sure we all will be getting emails for either VOOM , Dish or whoever. 30K of subscribers are small but picking up 75% of those is a nice fish to catch in one a weeks time. should also be some very interesting enticements too. We are not abandoned... we will be prime targets of opportunity for some. Just look at who we are and the investment we have made? each of us is concerned to be worth at least $1500 on the open market in terms of our value to a provider. If my math is right, That is a value of 30 million dollars to be added to some providers net worth. Not a small piece of change and an asset of Voom. But they have to move quickly or it evaporates in all this sad news.

I don't like this either....competition is healthy. I'm a long time D* customer, but I want to watch how E* takes care of their "new customers".....you VOOMers are a bunch of new customers........in one day 26K new customers......thats not chicken-feed. Hang in there bro's.

Barney

I have dish and voom

Barneypoo69 said:
I don't like this either....competition is healthy. I'm a long time D* customer, but I want to watch how E* takes care of their "new customers".....you VOOMers are a bunch of new customers........in one day 26K new customers......thats not chicken-feed. Hang in there bro's.

Barney

but when voom goes away, whoever offers the best HD content and quality that is where I will go

Barneypoo69 said:

Barney
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, 'cause I really do feel your pain in losing the VOOM service, BUT, E* didn't buy any VOOM customers. They bought some of VOOM's assets, but the customers (and the programming) weren't included in that sale.

I would expect both E* and D* (and cable) to lobby the VOOM customers heavily over the next few weeks. They know that the VOOM signal will be gone soon. The Cablevision board has said they will only fund VOOM operations until the end of January. They want to stop bleeding cash ASAP. Continuing to pay for programming, customer support and operations is costing VOOM much more than they get back in revenue.

On a side note, it looks like the mods are taking a much deserved break from the VOOM Forum. I sure hope VOOM can survive in one form or another since our mods have made this by far the best Sat Forum on the net!!!

Just want to say something else to you VOOM'ers. 26,000 customers with HDTV's. I say, thank you & Echostar should know this. To supply HD STB's, DVR's, etc for 26,000 new customers..........flip the switch to "OFF" to that kind of customer base?
Cable Co's & D* would be more than happy....but in one day......Hang in there VOOM'ers....I really don't think E* will just say..."Sorry Charlie".....

Barney

mdonnelly said:
BUT, E* didn't buy any VOOM customers. They bought some of VOOM's assets, but the customers (and the programming) weren't included in that sale.
/QUOTE]

Not yet. that was only one shoe that dropped. It would not be supriseing to have set the proposal in stages for approval. We may have only seen the opening bell in this operation. As I said 30M dollars worth of customers with HDTV is nothing to sneeze at. Charlie, I hope you don't have a cold?

riffjim4069 said:
On a side note, it looks like the mods are taking a much deserved break from the VOOM Forum. I sure hope VOOM can survive in one form or another since our mods have made this by far the best Sat Forum on the net!!!
We are still here. Not much left to moderate though... ;)
Thanks for your good words!

gutter said:
... As I said 30M dollars worth of customers with HDTV is nothing to sneeze at. Charlie, I hope you don't have a cold?
What I mean is, VOOM subscribers don't belong to Charlie. E* didn't pick up the customers because they didn't want to committ to the VOOM programming (at least that's my opinion). You're all going to be free agents. E* and D* will compete with each other for you. Make the best deal that you can.

....and they can't exactly drag the satellite over to another orbit slot short of sending a space shuttle up?

My point is that if its going to stay where it is, we're likely to be made an offer from Dish to switch over.

Although we might have to switch receivers(and HD DVR?), we'll still be able to get something.

JimP said:
Does direct TV also have a 61.5 slot or is it just Dish??
E* won't have their core programming on 61.5, and neither will D*. Whichever you go with, you'll need another dish. Whether or not you'll need one pointed at 61.5 will depend on :

1: you chose E* for your provider, and
2: E* has something you want on that bird.

riffjim4069 said:

Thanks for the compliment. We are still here and trying to enjoy VOOM while it lasts. Getting a foot of snow here in NY -- OTA and Satellite have worked perfectly.

riffjim4069 said:
I agree, and Ive never seen a moderator put as much into something as Sean has. I will miss being catered too with every possible piece of info on hardware and programming and trouble shooting. Ive disagreed with a lot of you at times but I will miss many of you. Darrell, riffjim4069 and Walter to name a few.My guess is that most Voomers who signed up see D*'s HD LIL plans as just another delay in recieving any meaningful additions to their HD programming. So right now our choices suck. I bet many are hoping as I that Dish uses this new capacity for a bunch of new HD channels to make this an easier decision. Hopefully they wont use it just for HD LIL.

mkwillia said:
Question:

Has Voom come out with a formal statement, yet?

"Business as usual during this transition with the promises of greater HD channels in March. We are continuing our commitment to our customers and looking forward to Voom's continued growth as the leader in HD programming." I think in a nut shell this is what they have been saying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)