the "I now have a hopper 3 and I have questions" thread

It will record the entire program or the entire buffer, whichever is less?
I believe it will record (save) what's in the buffer, as mentioned, but you can stop it manually, of course after the 5-minute segment you want is over.

I've always wanted a "trim" function just for this reason ! ;) I've been watching something and an interesting segment is shown, so I do just like you mention, rewind to the start of the segment, press Record, then Stop when the segment is over. Later, I may tell my wife or one of the kids to watch what I recorded. They sit down and may have to watch 15, 20, 30+ minutes of what was in the buffer before it gets to what I meant to only record !

Reactions: pattykay
I'll take the 722 record from the current point in the buffer behavior. One of the many reasons I will not Hop to the Hopper.

Reactions: dishrich
I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread but have done a search & can't find it. Can someone tell me on the Hopper 3, how to hide specific channels I don't watch (like the Spanish channels) & also hide them from showing on the EPG? A Google search said I needed to go into Parental Controls, but I find that hard to believe> I'm not hiding anything from kids because we have none.
Thanks,
Ken

What about these bright blinking lights on the back of the hopper 3? It's like a rave back there! Can we dim them?
Same lights that were on the Hopper and Hopper with Sling. Its the network lights. :) You can place black electrical tape over them if you want.
Or you can use WiFi if you don't like the network activity lights. It might not be as strong of a connection but the lights should be gone.
This always annoyed me about the original Hopper, and I never had it connected to the internet at all. You would think it would be one way or the other: i.e. no internet connection means no lights, or any internet connection would turn the lights off.

Just switched from Directv. Like hopper3 so far, but how do you stop play back while watching a recorded show?
Alright. now that I have been playing with the system for a bit, I still can't find the PIP fuctions on the 52.0 remote and they are not explained anywhere in teh documenation. How the fu*k do I do PIP with the 52.0 remote? LOL
Both of these problems have been fixed with the new software release. Now, there is a menu option to customize the function of the Backspace and Enter buttons (the buttons next to the 0 number button) on the 52.0 remote, and Stop and PIP are both in the list of available options for those buttons.

Reactions: JSheridan
Also when the DVR is recording a show is there any indication on the front panel? I thought I had
read some where that a red light below the green "On" light was supposed to be on when the DVR
was recording.
With (16) tuners, it's no longer necessary to know if there's something recording, i.e. a possible conflict. This is presumably Dish's thinking behind why they got rid of it....
It would be nice to have a quick way to see if there is anything recording, so that you don't accidentally reboot the receiver in the middle of a recording, interrupting it. With a red recording light, you know to wait until the red light is off before rebooting the receiver.

It would be nice to have a quick way to see if there is anything recording, so that you don't accidentally reboot the receiver in the middle of a recording, interrupting it. With a red recording light, you know to wait until the red light is off before rebooting the receiver.
It may not be as simple as looking at a red light, but, press the Red button on a 40 remote or Options on a 50 or 52 remote and then press TV Activity. That will show any recordings in process as well as what tuners are in use. That's pretty simple...

It may not be as simple as looking at a red light, but, press the Red button on a 40 remote or Options on a 50 or 52 remote and then press TV Activity. That will show any recordings in process as well as what tuners are in use. That's pretty simple...
THAT would also require turning on the TV and waiting for it to come first.

Dish should have put 16 large numbered LEDs on the front to tell us which tuner is recording.

Okay, I'll play... The 16 lights should be multi-color.
How about red for recording, green for watching (hopper or joey or Dish Anywhere), blue for using that tuner to download guide data, and yellow for firmware download. Maybe have them all flashing when firmware is being written to FLASH and a reset might brick the receiver.

The point being that there is a lot of information that would need to be conveyed by the light or lights to suit everyone's possible needs.

How about red for recording, green for watching (hopper or joey or Dish Anywhere), blue for using that tuner to download guide data, and yellow for firmware download. Maybe have them all flashing when firmware is being written to FLASH and a reset might brick the receiver.

The point being that there is a lot of information that would need to be conveyed by the light or lights to suit everyone's possible needs.
...along with an option to DISABLE FRONT-PANEL LEDS

Your color palette fails to take into account those of us that are red-green colorblind (I hate products that use a single LED that goes from red to amber to green as an indicator). You need a stoplight arrangement with individual LEDs for each function, that way the colorblind of the world are treated equally with the color-normal. (Only half kidding).

Your color palette fails to take into account those of us that are red-green colorblind (I hate products that use a single LED that goes from red to amber to green as an indicator). You need a stoplight arrangement with individual LEDs for each function, that way the colorblind of the world are treated equally with the color-normal. (Only half kidding).
Might as well go the full 9 yards and make the lights completely ADA compliant. Lights-to-speech or braille indicators that change with each status and tuner. ;) :D

Reactions: littlecloud319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)