The Latest iOS News Thread

Reactions: Poke
Is it monitoring your vitals.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Apple Jacks The Headphone Port
More on the lightning headphone. Not sure how this would go over.

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/09/320368529/apple-jacks-the-headphone-port

It is an interesting thought. I would think the main reason for them to do it is to gain space in the phone. They have to have the lighting port anyways, eliminating the headphone jack could free up space. As long as they had an adapter that was cheap I do not think it would be very disruptive.

As long as they had an adapter that was cheap I do not think it would be very disruptive.
Cheap and $30+ don't seem to mesh well.

I'm thinking that piping phone speaker amplified audio through the Lightning port isn't possible but I may be wrong. Having something with a DAC and an amplifier in it is likely to chew even more battery.

It works, I hook up my iPhone to my car aux in with a lightning port adapter. I use the 30 pin adapter which then goes to a cable that splits power to an USB connector and audio to a mini jack.

I simply plug a cable into the iPhone headphones port and the car AUX IN. Works just fine, and simpler than using some future lightening adapter. So I'd miss the headphones port. Maybe they should leave both options for the 6.

It works, I hook up my iPhone to my car aux in with a lightning port adapter. I use the 30 pin adapter which then goes to a cable that splits power to an USB connector and audio to a mini jack.
Will that mini jack drive a set of headphones or is it line level only?

Will that mini jack drive a set of headphones or is it line level only?

Not sure, I can either use the setup I have or I can run a cable from the headphone output to the car aux input and that works too. But, with the headphone connection it causes problems when you get a phone call and do not want to use the car Bluetooth, you have to unplug the headphone jack. With the lightning adapter you can leave it plugged in.

It is probably line level since there is not a volume adjustment. You get the same loudness on the car as if you had the headphones turned all the way up.

It is probably line level since there is not a volume adjustment.
This is what I assumed. I'm trying to imagine how you would reasonably use headphones absent a headphone jack. I would hope that they aren't going to demand that you use Bluetooth headphones or an external amplifier when you're jogging in the rain.

Not liking the part about a hundred dollar raise in price.

Comparing to my new Samsung- I found it interesting how it was suggested the iphone6 will have the power button in the side and be water resistant. Both of these are like the Galaxy S5

But must not take the article too seriously. It was a fun read to have all the rumors in one article.