Status
Not open for further replies.

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Brighton, TN (near Memphis)
I've listened to the two Christmas channels today with nary a Christmas carol to be heard. I guess this is a pitiful attempt to be politically correct. We wouldn't want to offend any non-Christians by singing about Christ's birth on His birthday,now would we? Of course, it presents no problem if we offend the 70% of the USA who profess to be Christians.

Sorry, my humanity is showing.:(

dogpoobob said:
I've listened to the two Christmas channels today with nary a Christmas carol to be heard. I guess this is a pitiful attempt to be politically correct. We wouldn't want to offend any non-Christians by singing about Christ's birth on His birthday,now would we? Of course, it presents no problem if we offend the 70% of the USA who profess to be Christians.
Sorry, my humanity is showing.:(

I know what you mean... but just remember, of that 70% that claim they are Christians, only 36% have been to church in the last year.

joedekock said:
I know what you mean... but just remember, of that 70% that claim they are Christians, only 36% have been to church in the last year.

And my guess is that 30% of those only went on either Christmas or Easter!;)

joedekock said:
That doesn't change the fact that "Christmas" is due to Christ. Whether 1% or 100% of people go to curch has no bearing that this is the "Christmas" season.
I, personally, don't know of any "Ramadan" carols. Or "Kwanza" carols.
I remember, in grade school (Catholic), we couldn't write the word "Xmas", because that was taking "Christ" out of Christmas. And that was almost forty years ago!
Merry Christmas!!!
Tom in TX

Just do not forget the meaning of the holidays whether it be Thanksgiving or Christmas, whatever meaning that may be to you.

]That doesn't change the fact that "Christmas" is due to Christ.

Actually it was stolen from the Pagen Winter rituals. Besides the bible said you are not supposed to celebrate his (or any other birthday).

Well, I turned it off. Since we don't pay any additional to have the two channels, I doubt that that is the reason. Anyway, who would be offended by Away in the Manger, The Little Drummer Boy, Hark The Herald Angels Sing, etc?

Afraid of criticism, maybe?

jkohnman said:
]That doesn't change the fact that "Christmas" is due to Christ.
Actually it was stolen from the Pagen Winter rituals. Besides the bible said you are not supposed to celebrate his (or any other birthday).
Where in the Bible does it say we're not supposed to celebrate birthdays :confused:

Listen, I guess this is about Xm because the sirius channel is called "Sirius Holiday Channel", and they play music regarding the holiday season. They're playing what they're supposed to.

Xm actually uses the word christmas in two of the channels so you could complain about that I guess. What's the difference between christian music near christmas and in may? It's the same music, and they already have a channel. These songs on the holiday channels are about "walkin in a winter wonderland", "jingle bell rock", etc...What's the problem really?

I don't know anything about XM. I'm referring to the 3 channels on DishNetwork, where I originally posted this topic. Don't know why it was moved when other programming issues are discussed on that forum. Political correctness,I guess.

As to the complaint. What is the "holiday" that we are playing music for? I think that it is Christmas. They are playing "Christmas Music", just not any Christmas carols. A carol is defined as "joyful religious song celebrating the birth of Christ." These are a large part of the enjoyment of Christmas by Christians and non-Christians alike. Just check the song listings on Christmas albums. Most, if not all, contain Christmas carols. The fact that there are NONE being played on these channels indicates an intentional effort to remove all religious references to a Christian holiday. Just a little rant. :music:

joedekock said:

Sorry - just couldn't let this one pass. Just because you go to church doesn't make you a Christian and the lack of going to church doesn't negate your Christianity. Christianity is a belief system and Christians follow moral principles. Going to church does not make one a Christian!

dogpoobob said:
As to the complaint. What is the "holiday" that we are playing music for? I think that it is Christmas.
Exactly! Some people call it a "holiday" tree. Is it the Veterans Day tree? Or the Labor Day tree? It's not even the Kwanza tree. It's a CHRISTMAS tree! Christmas is the basis for the "holiday" season. And Christmas is based on "Christ".
Tom in TX

Ack!

Maybe they'll play some real Christmas music on Christmas Day?

:tux:Would hope so. And I too hate "XMAS" being used instead of Christmas. Just grates on my nerves somehow. !sadroll

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts