The "new" iPad Announcement / Discussion Thread

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
tigerfan33 said:
What do you guys have your brightness set? I turned off auto brightness and mine is set right at halfway. Plenty bright!

About 40 percent. I used to run around 20 percent, but it seems to need more.

I want to give e iPad a full charge tomorrow and see how it does using it all day long.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Ok I'm officially pissed off at this thing. It's not letting me download apps. It just gets stuck on Waiting and doesn't do a damned thing. If I have to sync to iTunes everytime I want an app I am not going to be a happy camper..

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
yourbeliefs said:
Ok I'm officially pissed off at this thing. It's not letting me download apps. It just gets stuck on Waiting and doesn't do a damned thing. If I have to sync to iTunes everytime I want an app I am not going to be a happy camper..

Waiting means some other apps are downloading - usually. Perhaps long press the power button and turn it off, and then "reboot"

But first double press the home button to reveal the programs running in memory. Long press on any of those programs in the tray, that will bring up an x in the corner of each application. Then tap on the X to remove the program from memory, this does not delete the app from the iPad just takes it out of memory. And clear everything that's running. Sometimes you have something go wrong, something is hanging, so this could be a way to kind of refreshing to clear the iPad. Do this before you reboot because the programs our memory will be in memory again when you reboot.

If all of that fails, I would probably call AppleCare. But, it could be there at the app store is just barraged with 1 million new users. :)

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
yourbeliefs said:

Tap on the waiting apps.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
The apps seem to download when they feel like it. For example, when I sent that message they were hanging but then I was able to download 4 different apps in a row. Then I rebooted my iPad and they stopped working again. I'm bringing my pad into the apple store today to get help with the issue.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
The apps seem to download when they feel like it. For example, when I sent that message they were hanging but then I was able to download 4 different apps in a row. Then I rebooted my iPad and they stopped working again. I'm bringing my pad into the apple store today to get help with the issue.

DO yourself a favor and make a genius appointment ahead of time. I suspect a busy weekend for the Apple stores.

I am curious though - when you are there, do they have iPad 2's on display with the 3? I seriously doubt it, but man, the side by side comparison really sells the 3.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
rockymtnhigh said:
Guys - download the new ABC Player app. Its free.

Then select the free premiere of Missing. The show is in HD, and it is stunning. Not sure if everything from that app is going to be like that, but if it is... wow.

I just played the same video on the iPad 2 and on the new one back-to-back. On the new iPad it is much sharper and plays much smoother. It's not so much the screen resolution, but obviously the new GPU does a much better job!

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Found a small issue. When I connect the HDMI adapter (Apple Digital AV Adapter) to the New iPad, I get a message "This accessory is not supported".
It still works though if I dismiss the message, but the message pops up every time I connect it.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Well, it looks like the Digital AV Adapter that Verizon sold me yesterday is an older model (part number MC953ZM/A)
For the new iPad we need a newer model which looks exactly the same, but the part number is MD098ZM/A.
I am heading back to Verizon to return this one...

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I just played the same video on the iPad 2 and on the new one back-to-back. On the new iPad it is much sharper and plays much smoother. It's not so much the screen resolution, but obviously the new GPU does a much better job!

I hope you don't mind, but I edited my blog post to incorporate this idea into it; you are right -- sharp, smooth, and I'd say, stunning. :)

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Just left the store. They recommended doing factory restore and setting up as new device and then doing an app sync. Probably should have thought of that myself. Will try later and give an update.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
rockymtnhigh said:
I think the android tablet manufacturers sometimes feel that way too. :)

LIKE. from my iPhone (no like button)

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
rockymtnhigh said:
....I am curious though - when you are there, do they have iPad 2's on display with the 3? I seriously doubt it, but man, the side by side comparison really sells the 3.

I doubt they want to spare a 3rd gen for display. Seems they don't need to do that yet to sell all they've got.

Maybe tonight when she comes home from work, I can get to touch it. :haha

IOW, it was the perfect gift with perfect timing and is very much HERS.

Let's see, I have trouble sleeping, and she doesn't, so tonight ...... ;)

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
A welcome to Apple world of planned obsolescence.

Illya- saw your post and immediately ran to the HT room to grab my HDMI adapter that worked great with my iPAD1 and plugged it into the ipad3 and the first thing I saw was a popup that said- "This accessory is not supported" Grrrr... I wonder if the new ones are out in the store. Another $39 back to Apple! :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)