The "new" iPad Announcement / Discussion Thread

If you have unusual battery drain with a particular app, just plug in the ipad to the charger. My MiFi LTE device has a battery for short run times but it must be pluged into the charger if you want to run the thing for any length of time. Plus it gets hot as well. My old tether app for my Thunderbolt also required the phone be plugged in else the battery would get sucked down in 30-40 minutes. My Dell Laptop gets very hot with some apps such as playing a DVD movie.
Funny none of those things ever gets bad press like an ipad.

The latest complaint making headline news was the battery meter isn't accurate. When you charge it up and the meter registers 100% some geek figured that the battery was really only 91% full charge and you needed to charge for another hour to reach full full charge. He wants Apple to fix this.

Don Landis said:
If you have unusual battery drain with a particular app, just plug in the ipad to the charger. My MiFi LTE device has a battery for short run times but it must be pluged into the charger if you want to run the thing for any length of time. Plus it gets hot as well. My old tether app for my Thunderbolt also required the phone be plugged in else the battery would get sucked down in 30-40 minutes. My Dell Laptop gets very hot with some apps such as playing a DVD movie.
Funny none of those things ever gets bad press like an ipad.

The latest complaint making headline news was the battery meter isn't accurate. When you charge it up and the meter registers 100% some geek figured that the battery was really only 91% full charge and you needed to charge for another hour to reach full full charge. He wants Apple to fix this.

They don't get bad press because the problems are expected and tech blogs need to find something to complain about the iPad,

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

They don't get bad press because the problems are expected and tech blogs need to find something to complain about the iPad,

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
I think overheating, inconsistent battery life and charging issues are perfectly legitimate complaints.

That "geek" is Dr. Raymond Soneira the president of DisplayMate Technologies, a leading display analyst. He states that "there is something wrong with the battery charge mathematical model on the iPad". The latest word is that it actually takes extra 2 hours and 10 minutes to fully charge the new iPad: "At 2:00 hours after reporting 100% charge the new iPad hardware started to reduce the charging power. At 2:10 the recharging cycle fully terminated with a sharp decrease in power. The new iPad battery is truly fully recharged 2 hours and 10 minutes after prematurely reporting on screen that it was fully charged."

So, if you want to fully charge your iPad, don't unplug it as soon as you see 100%. Give it a couple of hours more!

By the way, for those interested, here is an article by Dr. Soneira comparing displays from the iPad 2, the new iPad and the iPhone 4. A good read!

new iPad Display Technology Shoot-Out

Here are some quotes from the article that caught my eye:

While the enhanced screen resolution is getting most of the attention, the enhanced color saturation is equally responsible for its wow factor.

Apple’s definition of a “Retina Display” is actually for 20/20 Vision (defined as 1 arc-minute visual acuity). 20/20 Vision is just the legal definition of “Normal Vision,” which is at the lower end of true normal vision. The best human vision is about 20/10 Vision, twice as good as 20/20 Vision, and that is what corresponds to the true acuity of the Retina. So to be an actual “True Retina Display” a screen needs at least 573 ppi at 12 inches viewing distance or 458 ppi at 15 inches.

I am definitely not proposing a new display Mega Pixel war for 400+ ppi (but several manufacturers are working on it, so we’ll see).

The real reason for doubling the iPad’s resolution to 2048x1536 is for the convenience and ease in up-scaling the older 1024x768 Apps from the iPad 1 and iPad 2 – every older App pixel is simply replicated 2x2=4 times.

So where will the 2048x1536 3.1 Mega Pixel Retina Display actually make a noticeable visual improvement over other displays? All (computer generated) text will appear much sharper, but it will make the most difference whenever there is tiny text and fine graphics, which you often see when surfing the web (like the front page of The New York Times) or in a complex spreadsheet. Then there is a tremendous visual difference between the new iPad and the iPad 2 or existing Android Tablets. You won’t have to zoom in as much or switch to Landscape mode as often when reading tiny web content. Full screen high quality photographs with lots of fine detail will also stand out and take full advantage of the new iPad’s High Definition screen.

One final note on Retina Displays: your existing HDTV is already a Retina Display. For example, a 1080p 46 inch TV viewed from 6 feet or more and a 1080p 60 inch TV viewed from 8 feet or more (the typical TV viewing distance in the US is 9 feet) are already 20/20 Vision "Retina Displays" so don’t worry about upgrading them to get Retina Display resolution and sharpness...

A major shortcoming of the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 is their reduced Color Gamut, they only have 61-64 percent of the sRGB-Rec.709 Standard Color Gamut needed for accurate color reproduction. That produces images with noticeably under saturated colors, particularly reds, blues and purples. This is due to efficiency issues from the Backlight LEDs. Apple claims “44 percent greater color saturation.” Technically it’s not clear what that means in this context, but the new iPad has a virtually perfect 99 percent of the Standard Color Gamut (a 38 percent improvement over the iPad 2). The colors are beautiful and accurate due to very good factory calibration – they are also “more vibrant” but not excessively so or gaudy like some existing OLED displays.

The new iPad’s picture quality, color accuracy, and gray scale are not only much better than any other Tablet or Smartphone, it’s also much better than most HDTVs, laptops, and monitors. In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor.

While Apple has zeroed in on sharpness and done an excellent job of it, and improved the color saturation and color accuracy to an impressive level, there are still plenty of other very important display issues that need to be addressed by all of the Tablet and Smartphone manufacturers, including Apple. Here are just a few:

1. Screen Reflectance
2. Ambient Light Sensor
3. Automatic Brightness
4. Display User Interface
5. RGB LED Backlights
6. OLED Displays
7. Size

I think overheating, inconsistent battery life and charging issues are perfectly legitimate complaints.

I don't disagree, but I am not convinced that the over-heating issue is as widespread a problem as it is being made out to be. Not saying it isn't a problem, but I think there is often an effort by the press to exaggerate. That's all. :)

The fact that the new iPad runs warmer than the iPad 2 doesn't surprise me at all. It makes perfect sense from the Physics standpoint. If the iPad consumes twice as much electric power, then it produces twice as much heat: almost all of that consumed energy turns into heat. Without a fan it's going to run warmer. There is really no way around it.

If you have unusual battery drain with a particular app, just plug in the ipad to the charger. My MiFi LTE device has a battery for short run times but it must be pluged into the charger if you want to run the thing for any length of time.

This may not help! Another reported problem: when running graphics intensive applications, the new iPad will stop charging and will drain the battery instead. This problem is not unique to the iPad. Some MiFi devices cannot work while being charged. And some laptops cannot run at their highest speed without consuming the battery. The charger is not powerful enough to support electric currents needed for peak loads.

I've never seen that with my Dell laptop. It gets hot but runs hours on end without draining the battery when plugged in with the AC power pack. Plus I have run it without any battery!

I've owned two mifi devices, original 3G and now the LTE version from Verizon and both recommend that for long use keep plugged in. Battery does not drain when in use and plugged in.

Only time I have seen the ipad not charge while in use has been when plugged into a computer for syncing. It runs for hours even with a very low battery % but doesn't drain to zero. Then again, I have not had that much experience with ipad3 and I have not tried the purported software that causes the temperature to skyrocket. Syncing and transferring 50Gb of data works fine.

I do suspect that if the report is valid, the 10w charger may get excessively hot and be destroyed by the heat. As they suggested, then get a heavier duty charger. Let's see if Apple responds with a confirmation or makes available an authorized heavy duty power module.

I will do some of my own testing.

Last edited:
I've never seen that with my Dell laptop. It gets hot but runs hours on end without draining the battery when plugged in with the AC power pack. Plus I have run it without any battery!
It depends on the type of the laptop, its CPU/GPU and the power supply. Some laptops will throttle the CPU when the battery is removed. Some won't even work at all.

I've owned two mifi devices, original 3G and now the LTE version from Verizon and both recommend that for long use keep plugged in. Battery does not drain when in use and plugged in.
When I was buying a MiFi-type device, I specifically made sure to get one that would work while charging, as I read posts on the Internet, that some of them wouldn't. This was very important for me, as the MiFi was intended to be used at tradeshows and was expected to run non-stop all day long.

I read posts on the Internet, that some of them wouldn't.

Not surprised. I find lots of hearsay on the internet. If the hearsay directly contradicts the manufacturer's claims then I suspect the poster is not doing something right. Usually the user is just doing something wrong, like using an inadequate power supply or a micro USB cable that doesn't supply power rather than a proper supply, cable that came with the device. I caught my wife making this mistake twice, once on her Blackberry and the other time with her ipad. Not all USB cables with the same plug work the same. Read your manual, it specifically states to keep the MiFi plugged in to the AC power for extended use. Samsung and Novatel are the two main suppliers of these devices.

Apple's iPad has problems -- so what else is new?
By Erik Sherman
(MoneyWatch) COMMENTARY Apple (AAPL) has drawn a number of complaints about some of its iPad units. These include devices running hot; bad Wi-Fi reception; a misleading battery charge indicator; iTunes changing colors of photos sent to a new iPad; and devices taking up to an hour to fully charge after they indicate that they're already juiced up.
The media's coverage of these problems tends to split between the Apple loyalists, who insist that nothing is wrong and everything is overblown (which might be true until your unit has a problem), and the skeptics, who see every glitch as a calamity. What makes this odd is that the same scenario now plays out after the release of virtually every Apple product.

So what's going on? A combination of a high-profile company, the law of large numbers, technical complexities, and limits of engineering knowledge create a landscape ruled by Murphy's Law. The bottom line is this: Getting a new iPad -- like the new run of any other piece of hardware and software -- means there's a chance that you'll have a problem.

Unfortunately, units in the first round of any new product are the ones most likely to exhibit problems:

Modern electronics and applications are incredibly complicated. Even with extensive pre-release testing, there are only so many problems that engineers can realistically uncover.
Hardware or software designs can be vulnerable to rare combinations of environmental conditions and user actions that are next to impossible to predict. It requires having a product in actual use to see what issues come up.
When a company sells products in the volume that Apple does, it comes under the law of large numbers. Highly unusual combinations of conditions are more likely to appear. For example, if an error only happened only in one out of 5,000 units, then you'd see 600 cases out of 3,000,000 units -- the number of new iPads that Apple has reported already having sold.
As manufacturers put ever more functions into smaller electronics devices, the form factor itself can present challenges, including excess heat without room to dissipate it, or electrical signals interfering with each other.
Sometimes people just screw up big time. The more complicated a product, the more people can screw up in different places.
As a result, problems are going to appear when new products hit the market, and there's nothing a company can do about it.
Step away from the new product

There's an old rule of thumb among technical people: Never buy a dot-oh version of a product. That refers to a new version before the company incrementally releases bug fixes. If it applies to Microsoft (MSFT), HP (HPQ), or Google (GOOG), why not Apple?

Apple clearly isn't faultless. It has had problems with many of its recent products, and not all are minor. For example, The iPhone 4's antenna issues, which Steve Jobs initially blamed on how users held the devices, caused performance issues for some percentage of users. Even if reports of new iPads overheating may seem a non-issue, that wasn't the case for some iPhone users, since the device first hit store shelves in 2007. (And there's at least one report of a new iPad that allegedly caught on fire while charging over night.)

Issues aren't restricted to hardware. There were many complaints about Mac OS Lion, including a clumsy interface design and numerous reports of Wi-Fi connection issues.

Unfortunately, Apple has often tried to downplay and ignore problems. Not that other vendors are always forthcoming, but there's something about the company's secretive nature that seems to make it particularly egregious.

So if you're looking at the latest piece of consumer electronics eye candy from Apple, remember to apply the same rule as you should for any vendor. Wait for the product to be out for a while so that the potential issues are out in the open. And if something goes wrong when you do buy, don't be shy in demanding a fix or, if that doesn't work, returning the item. Only when consumers get more insistent that products be hassle-free straight out of the box will companies work harder to stop problems before they start.

Apple's iPad has problems -- so what else is new? - CBS News

Apple has always downplayed problems. For years. And years. But even the smallest problems get magnified when tech blogs get involved and it involves the world's largest company. :)

So, if you are using your Verizon LTE iPad as a wireless hotspot for your laptop, how long do you think it will run on a single charge?
According to AnandTech, more than 25 hours! Wow!!

The bottom line is that neither WiFi nor 4G should be a concern for your battery life when you travel.
What does make a big difference though, is setting the brightness of your screen to the lowest acceptable level.
And if you are going on a long trip and want to have as much charge as possible, then it makes sense to charge the iPad for an extra hour or two after reaching the 100% reading.

(And based on my iPhone experience, I would also recommend turning the GPS off when you don't need it.)

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Since the iPad is almost always on, the boot time is practically irrelevant.

I looked at System Status app (one of those silly apps I got when I first got the iPad, thinking I was still in Android land, and would need these stats...) but I just checked the System Uptime info.

Boot time: 3/16/12, 2:41pm
Uptime: 16d 23h 52m

Hmmm... the last boot time was when I FIRST GOT THE iPAD 2 weeks ago! Haven't booted it again. If it takes 30 seconds to do a cold boot truly is moot given that we never re-boot it except under the rarest of circumstances.

And with 2+ weeks of boot-time, I checked memory usage.

Currently:
Wired: 132.7MB
Active: 103.2 MB
Inactive: 58.1 MB
Other 158.9 MB
Free: 535.2 MB

Agree.
30+ seconds for the new iPad? Mine doesn't take nearly that long, or at least it doesn't seem like it does..
I just thought it was interesting. I thought the iPad3 would boot the quickest.

All in all it doesn't really matter anyway as most people do not turn it off to begin with. How often do you really need to boot? When you do does it really matter if it takes a few seconds longer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts