The "new" iPad Announcement / Discussion Thread

And in case you guys are wondering, no, I am not going to try the sim card from my iPhone in the iPad! ;)
No way I am risking my unlimited data plan! :D

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

AW, Shucks! Ah was hopin fer one o' dem pie - O - neers! ;)

My wife found the perfect iPad stand.

iPad stand Perfect.jpg

I think I am closer to just sticking it out w/ my iPad 2 than selling and getting the 3rd gen. I dropped by a Best Buy today, and had to ask a salesman if I was using a 3rd gen, because I couldn't tell the difference. Having not used my 2 in a couple days, and without any around to directly compare it to for whatever reason at that Best Buy, it was hard to see the value. VEVO HD looked great, but so does video now on my iPad.

That being said, a nice image someone took for me on another forum comparing the screens:

200921d1332031233-tablets-readers-netpads-oh-my-pic1.jpg

Here is the ARS review: Pixel-pumping prowess: Ars reviews the third-generation iPad

Some good photo comparisons.

I think the macro-blow up of the the screens distorts the real significance of the changes. For example, in the Netflix graphic above, it shows jagged lines on the iPad 3 side, where on the screen, it is smooth crisp text (the eye does not see what the macro lens sees), and the iPad 2 text is not as blurry as it is made out to be in the same picture.

But all I can say is use the new iPad for a day and then go back to an iPad 2, you'll definitely see pixels and lots of them. And you'll think it just is blurry and harder on the eyes. Yes, its a question of what we accustom to, but I'd argue that the retina display is more than resolutionary - it has upped the ante. And the question I asked the other day -- when do we see a retina display on a MacBook or iMac? -- is already getting some play in the rumor mill. That said, the web is NOT ready for retina displays. Go to a site that is throwing up low-resolution images on a new iPad, and it screams out at you. Heck, even the Facebook blue bar at the top of the screen looks blurry.

Five days in, and I am still in awe of text on the new iPad.

The AT&T-flavored iPad will of course work on AT&T's own LTE network, but it's not clear on what other LTE networks can it be used. For sure, it will not work on Verizon's network, regardless of the speed.
So, from this standpoint, the Verizon flavor of the iPad gives you more options. Not only Verizon has better 4G coverage, and not only it supports tethering for free, but if you ever get to the area with poor reception on Verizon, you can get a prepaid sim from another operator and run it at HSPA+ speed. Pretty cool, especially if you travel a lot and require reliable Internet wherever you go.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys
Worldwide though I think the AT&T tablet is better because I'm pretty sure I read that the AT&T Version is essentially the cellular tablet that is being sold around the world.

I think I am closer to just sticking it out w/ my iPad 2 than selling and getting the 3rd gen. I dropped by a Best Buy today, and had to ask a salesman if I was using a 3rd gen, because I couldn't tell the difference. Having not used my 2 in a couple days, and without any around to directly compare it to for whatever reason at that Best Buy, it was hard to see the value. VEVO HD looked great, but so does video now on my iPad.

If you don't know what specifically to look for, you wouldn't even tell which one is which.
Most people cannot tell 1080p from 720p (or even from 480p on DVD, for that matter).
Yes, if you compare them side by side you will see the difference. But is it worth upgrading?
The retina display does look amazing. But do you really need to have a tablet with the resolution
higher than on any of your computer monitors? Higher than on that huge HD TV set in your living room?
You can only answer that question for yourself.
And keep in mind that the higher resolution does come at a price: some extra weight,
extra depth and that ridiculously long charging time!

Some of us here are neophiliacs - we've got to have that latest and greatest gadget. ;)
But if you are happy with your iPad 2, and not ready to upgrade - don't feel bad!
iPad 2 is still one of the best tablets ever made!
Skip this one and get the next one next year. I am sure it will have better speakers or Siri,
or perhaps a rapid charger - something to make it better. On the other hand, if you don't
have an iPad, or if you still have the original one, the New iPad makes a great choice!

Long charging time? I don't know how quick the ipad2 charged up but both my ipad1 and 3 charge the same, about 4-5 hours from 5% to full. I do know that with LTE on all the time as a backup and wifi, the battery drains faster, even on standby. I'm putting it on the charger about ever other night and by the second day it's down to about 25-30%.

Long charging time? I don't know how quick the ipad2 charged up but both my ipad1 and 3 charge the same, about 4-5 hours from 5% to full. I do know that with LTE on all the time as a backup and wifi, the battery drains faster, even on standby. I'm putting it on the charger about ever other night and by the second day it's down to about 25-30%.

Since I only charge mine at night, as long as it is at 100% when I get up at 6am, I am happy. It always has been. Sometimes I think the Gizmodo folks look for things to complain about. Not an issue for me. And this heat thing is also something I just have not encountered.

Well I broke down yesterday and replaced my wife's original iPad with the iPad 3rd gen. So far she is loving the change.

The heat thing seems strange. I don't know what the guy was running but they said it is app dependent. Must have been a cook stove app, or space heater app. Even Satguys Back room images don't make my ipad hot and those are some hot pictures. :)

The heat thing seems strange. I don't know what the guy was running but they said it is app dependent. Must have been a cook stove app, or space heater app. Even Satguys Back room images don't make my ipad hot and those are some hot pictures. :)

:D

I am pretty sure it occurs just with those graphic intensive games, which I don't even bother with. Every day it seems another app is getting "retinized" - I am curious to see what it does to the amount of storage required by the apps I have.

This did not take long...

New iPad already accounts for 1 in 15 Apple tablets - Computerworld

A week after the launch of the new iPad, the device now accounts for about 1 in 15 Apple tablets accessing the Internet, a mobile ad network said today.

Chitika, which regularly mines data from its ad-serving network for device and browser usage patterns, said that over the past 24 hours the new iPad generated 6.6% of all iPad traffic that goes through the company's systems.

Apple's first-generation tablet and 2011's iPad 2 were responsible for the remaining 93.4%.

The new iPad's part of the Apple tablet pie has been slowly increasing since the device's debut March 16. Early last Saturday, for example, Chitika said the new iPad hit a high of 5%, and reached a 9.9% share for an hour on Tuesday, March 20.

Although Chitika's measurements don't directly correspond with the installed base of a device -- in this case the new iPad versus the two previous models -- the firm's numbers are in the ballpark, according to figures Apple has made public.

Earlier this week, Apple said it had sold 3 million new iPads over the first weekend, a number that represents 5.4% of the 55.3 million iPads Apple sold through Dec. 31, 2011.

I can confirm the heat thing is real. I was playing Back to the Future earlier today for about 35 minutes and my pad was hot. Not scalding but I definitely would not classify it as being warm. Also the heat seemed to take a toll on performance as well. I never played the game before today but during rendered cutscenes the game frame rates were inconsistent at best. I can't imagine that it was supposed to look the way that it did. Finally, it was a major draw on the battery, going down I believe around 25% in that time.

I can confirm the heat thing is real. I was playing Back to the Future earlier today for about 35 minutes and my pad was hot. Not scalding but I definitely would not classify it as being warm. Also the heat seemed to take a toll on performance as well. I never played the game before today but during rendered cutscenes the game frame rates were inconsistent at best. I can't imagine that it was supposed to look the way that it did. Finally, it was a major draw on the battery, going down I believe around 25% in that time.

That is also a game that has not been optimized for the retina display (last updates in October 2011) - although I don't know if that will matter. I do know it took a LONG time for that game to even work under iOS5. (I have the first one). Not diminishing the claim, just wondering if there could be explanations.

The ONLY time I noticed heat was during the initial syncing and uploading of files where it was getting a charge and transferring 95 apps, otherwise, I haven't noticed anything on mine. But I am not surprised by the issue on some of the graphic intensive games. Quad-core graphics = quad-core heat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)