The NEW iPhone 4S Discussion

Anole said:
Seems to me as long as the 4S is selling well, why stir the pot?
I'm thinking summer, maybe in time for all the college (and high school) kids going back to school.
New laptop? No, must have new iphone! - :up

My folks went to the Verizon store where they went to get two iPhone 4s' and there was a two month back order. (they got them at the Apple Store).

I agree, apple is having tremendous success with the 4s. I'd be shocked to see an iPhone 5 in the next six months.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

My wife and I just ordered ourselves Otterbox cases (mine is the blue Defender and hers is the pink one) for our iPhone 4Ss.

I have the commuter and the defender versions.
The commuter is less bulky but less protection (still good). The defender covers pretty much everything. It is what I have on it at work, as I need the extra protection at my job.

With the fact that we've already had to replace my wife's iPhone 4S since she accidentally dropped it (Thank you AppleCare+!) we have to get her the best case there is for protection. I need to get one any way for mine.

I just use a Speck rubber/pastic clear case. Nothing on the front, but I have a small black pouch I carry it in. I also have Apple Care+.

I also went with another defender for my 4s. Climbing over damaged guardrail and out looking at and photographing damage claims, inevitably I drop the phone or something. The defender protected my 3gs great for two years, so I figured it would do the same for the 4s.

making a case for cases

Coincidentally, I've been looking at cheap cases for the last several months.
You'd be surprised how many for the 4, also properly fit the 4S.

I won't go into too much detail, but there are many modest cases for $3 on Amazon that'll fit both.
Several favorites among the people I gave samples to, were:
- a hard plastic 2-part snap-together with a rubberized coating ($3, in pink, purple, black, etc)
- a very stiff TPU (thermoplastic poly urethane) with smokey color and diamond pattern on the back (under $2?)
- pink or black bumper, plus front and rear screen-protector stick-on. (under $3 for all pieces)

Yes, for maximum protection, the top model Otterbox (or similar) may be called for.
But for everyone else, get something.
Use your good sense, but anything is better than nothing.

Also, if you do get a cracked screen, and don't have a screen protector, put one on immediately.
They're available at several for a dollar (shipped), so not having some on hand is foolhardy.
It'll hold your glass together 'till you can get it replaced, and prevent glass shards in your fingers.
I've recently worked with a broken 3GS and iP4, and watched one of the owners bleed from this very problem.

edit:
Your local Radio Shack now has a wide selection of cases.
I particularly liked the Lance Armstrong carbon fiber cases, once they got marked down for clearance.
$3 got me one for my 3GS. (no front protection lip)
I think $5 will get one for the iP4 / iP4S. (you'll have to take a look and see how much protection it offers)

They might all "fit" but some of them are off just a bit for the mute button, But yeah, everybody needs a case!

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I tried 'em on some 4S's, and the ringer switch was not impeded at all.
Manufacturers already had cases in the pipeline.
I think it's 'cause the iPhone 4 for Verizon was first to move the switch, so this is nothing new.

Just got the 4S for my wife. What's everyone using for a car charger?

IGo charger with interchangeable tips.... (get at Radio Shack). Charges my IPhone, my Zune (yes, I'm one of those - sounds much better, and my music video purchases (about 120) also play on my PC and my XBox)), my dauhter's dumbphone, my wife's Blackberries (yes, two), and my daughter's 3DS. The thing is always charging something in my car. I got a half dozen of the power cords from a bag of crap from woot.com and I've been hooked ever since.

I've been using this black pair of chargers: home & car.
Fifty cents, plus three dollars shipping for both.
Just need a USB cable, which are also available on Amazon for a buck.
(Trying to find a cable with locking tabs seems to be the challenge, though. )

When buying from Amazon, be careful which vendor you actually are ordering from.
I used Eforcity, and was also very satisfied with the iPhone battery and RAZR battery they sent.
( ordered 19th, and received 23rd December).

PS:
Took delivery of a broken iPhone 4 last night.
Very happy with this TPU case for it.
Quite stiff, with just enough flex to absorb shock.
Non-slip in the hand, but doesn't turn your pocket inside out - ;)
I've bought several for friends - it fits both iPhone 4S and 4.
Ordered from seller Importer520 on Amazon.

Last edited:
About once a week for the past month I have gone to my iPhone to see the error Sim Card failed; I see No Service, and then have to reboot, and then everything is fine.

Never having dealt with a sim card before, I am guessing I just have a defective one, and should go to Verizon and have them swap it out? Or is there likely something else up? Otherwise, the 4S is rock-solid. Its the only glitch I have had in five months.

Did you actually get the SIM card from verizon? I didnt think they were actually in there for world phone usage unless you went and got one from them.

Did you actually get the SIM card from verizon? I didnt think they were actually in there for world phone usage unless you went and got one from them.

I assume it came with a sim card in that slot on the side? No, I did not do anything. I guess I should just call Apple Care and find out. I bough the phone from Verizon though, through the pre-sale.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)