The next 2 universities being looked at for taking gifts/money: The U and Alabama!

No doubt, Yahoo is the new investigative reporter sheriff.
If they show up on your campus steps, be very afraid.
Most bloggers run with rumors from message boards and can't be trusted.
Yahoo Sports is the real deal!

Yahoo and Sports Illustrated...both sometimes do actual journalism.

Sandra

Yahoo and Sports Illustrated...both sometimes do actual journalism.

Sandra

Interesting comments this morning from Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk regarding that. He stated that they have really not done much because he thinks it's so common among the big football programs that he called it "just picking up fruit that lands at your feet while standing under a tree....". He states that all you have to do is go to any major football school and just ask...and sooner or later, someone WILL talk.

WOW!

WOW..... I am incredibly depressed to state that I PERSONALLY know one of the players involved in the scandal. This WAS a kid that came from a middle income family(I worked closely with his mom) and had no real dire need for any kin of benefits because their family was not in dire straits.

Sad....really is.

Uh oh....

This does NOT bode well...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The NCAA informed University of Miami administrators it will consider invoking its “willful violators” clause and make an exception to the traditional four-year statute of limitations in the Nevin Shapiro case, a university source told Yahoo! Sports.

Traditionally, the NCAA’s bylaws would only allow it to sanction the Hurricanes for infractions that occurred during the four years prior to receiving a letter of inquiry from investigators. For example, if Miami received a letter of inquiry for a case on Sept. 1, 2011, the NCAA could only sanction the school for applicable violations dating back to Sept. 1, 2007. But the clause – reserved for “a pattern of willful violations” – can spin a probe back to the earliest applicable infractions.

Applied to the Shapiro allegations, it means the NCAA could reach as far back to early 2002, when the booster said he began funneling benefits to Hurricanes players. And if the probe stretched back to 2002, it would overlap with Miami’s two-year probationary period from the baseball program, which was leveled from February 2003 to February 2005. That could potentially tag the Hurricanes athletic program with a “repeat violator” label and make the school further susceptible to the NCAA’s so-called death penalty.

Source: Willful violators clause could apply at Miami - Investigations - Yahoo! Sports

Saw this in USA Today. Might not be as bad as some expect.

If the current trend holds true, it means the likely penalties for Miami if found guilty would be something that resembles the two-year postseason ban and loss of 30 scholarships that USC received in the Reggie Bush case.

While seemingly lighter, those sanctions are significant because it sets the school back several years by limiting the overall talent and depth in the program.

But the team still plays, which means no impact for the school and league with regard to television revenue.
Miami may avoid death penalty, television ban if NCAA stays course

Man, do you thing they will actually MENTION the Football game being played on Sept. 17th, or will off field allegations be all we hear about ....

I just heard the local media call the Sept 17 game Tats VS Tutes.

I found it quite amusing.

Hi, guys. Irronically just back from Miami. Couple of points, for what they are worth.

First, I am not a "drive by accuser". The fact that I feel that the rules apply to Outlaw State in no way changes my similar opinion that the rules also apply to Miami (the real one, not the one in Ohio).

Second, Miami is a unique school to be at the top of Div I. It a mid-sized private school. Not named for a state. While certainly not the University of Phoenix, its not Vandy or Duke either. A solid, but certainly mid-level, academic college. Further, it does not particulary recruit, in terms of regular students, in Florida, but rather in metro NYC, less than 30% of its students are from south Florida. It does not depend, as do most schools, on a lot of alumni giving, but rather on a few boosters and on just attracting fans from around the metro area, in competition with the Dolphins, Marlins, et al. And it plays far off campus in a rented pro stadium. It does not sell out, and does not charge what big schools charge.

Third, there are two H U G E state colleges in south Florida, both at the bottom of Div I in football. Both have to understand that IF Miami gets a death penalty or something close to it, they could fill the gap in a totally different way. If, say, Ohio State got the death penaly, Ohio U or Toledo are not going to gain from that, but FIU and FAU could relative to Miami.

Fourth, if FSU goes to the SEC and the ACC becomes something like the Leastleftovers is today, Maimi is in further trouble.

Fifth, Miami really does, and THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE, recruit players from among the very poorest parts of its metro area in many cases. Players who really do not have any "walking around money". And players who in no way fit in with the upper-middle class and upper class rich northeasterners that are the regular student body.

Sixth, Miami's president is obviously a person who has no respect for rules in any context. This could be bad for it.

Seventh, because there is a bankruptcy involved, many pros and did-not-make-its, may acually have to pay back the money they took, which is, IMHO, a great thing.

All that said, a death penalty to Miami would be as devistating to it as it was to SMU, or more so. The school could actually fall, forever, off the radar of sports in such a context. But we are getting ahead of ourselves. We have some guy in jail for being a fraud's word. What is that worth? Guy is going to get out and wants to write a book someday and all of that. NCAA will need some proof, but if it there, then it is there. Does it warrant "death"? Well, Miami has openly cheated for 30 years. The NCAA has to get serious with these teams.

SamCdbs said:
Hi, guys. Irronically just back from Miami. Couple of points, for what they are worth.

First, I am not a "drive by accuser". The fact that I feel that the rules apply to Outlaw State in no way changes my similar opinion that the rules also apply to Miami (the real one, not the one in Ohio).

Second, Miami is a unique school to be at the top of Div I. It a mid-sized private school. Not named for a state. While certainly not the University of Phoenix, its not Vandy or Duke either. A solid, but certainly mid-level, academic college. Further, it does not particulary recruit, in terms of regular students, in Florida, but rather in metro NYC, less than 30% of its students are from south Florida. It does not depend, as do most schools, on a lot of alumni giving, but rather on a few boosters and on just attracting fans from around the metro area, in competition with the Dolphins, Marlins, et al. And it plays far off campus in a rented pro stadium. It does not sell out, and does not charge what big schools charge.

Third, there are two H U G E state colleges in south Florida, both at the bottom of Div I in football. Both have to understand that IF Miami gets a death penalty or something close to it, they could fill the gap in a totally different way. If, say, Ohio State got the death penaly, Ohio U or Toledo are not going to gain from that, but FIU and FAU could relative to Miami.

Fourth, if FSU goes to the SEC and the ACC becomes something like the Leastleftovers is today, Maimi is in further trouble.

Fifth, Miami really does, and THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE, recruit players from among the very poorest parts of its metro area in many cases. Players who really do not have any "walking around money". And players who in no way fit in with the upper-middle class and upper class rich northeasterners that are the regular student body.

Sixth, Miami's president is obviously a person who has no respect for rules in any context. This could be bad for it.

Seventh, because there is a bankruptcy involved, many pros and did-not-make-its, may acually have to pay back the money they took, which is, IMHO, a great thing.

All that said, a death penalty to Miami would be as devistating to it as it was to SMU, or more so. The school could actually fall, forever, off the radar of sports in such a context. But we are getting ahead of ourselves. We have some guy in jail for being a fraud's word. What is that worth? Guy is going to get out and wants to write a book someday and all of that. NCAA will need some proof, but if it there, then it is there. Does it warrant "death"? Well, Miami has openly cheated for 30 years. The NCAA has to get serious with these teams.

Wow...surprisingly well said.

What do you have against Ohio?

Some kind of rejection of you along the way?

Any implication that Miami is recruiting the poor kids and other competitive football schools are not is just silly. Everybody knows how ridiculous that comment is.

Sandra

Any implication that Miami is recruiting the poor kids and other competitive football schools are not is just silly.

Did not say that. What I will say is that, while every college is different, you can break schools down into pretty much three groups, relative to the "traditional in-state student". First are public schools in states that pretty much have something close to open admissions. If you have any business in college at all, you can go wherever you want to. We have two schools tht have Div I athletics in my state and 20-odd state colleges that do not. It is a lifestyle choice. Second are public schools that follow what was outlined back in the late 50s in California. A "tiered" system. Want to go to the big state U with Div I sports. Get good grades in HS and a good SAT. Otherwise you will be relegated to the second tier of state colleges in your state. Ohio is like that, as is Pennsylvania, Texas, many states.

Then are private schools. Most private schools are places of privilige. A child born 18 years ago had a one in 75 chance of growing up to attend a private on-campus traditional type private school. Tuition at Miami? $32K/year. Plus room and board. Across town at FIU? $5K, and something like 80% are on aid over top of that.

So here you have Miami. Petty unique. Student body? Rich and upper middle class. Given every advantage. Mostly from the northeast or first-generation Floridians of northeastern parentage. Know how to fit into the broad culture. Well-prepared for college. Athletes? Local. Poor. Victims of the public schools. Lived a fairly insular life. That causes issues, problems, etc. Issues you don't see at many schools where the general student body profile is more similar to that of the athletes.

Excuse? Not a bit. Miami, and every other school, should follow the rules, or be punished enough to insure compliance in the future.

So here you have Miami. Petty unique. Student body? Rich and upper middle class. Given every advantage. Mostly from the northeast or first-generation Floridians of northeastern parentage. Know how to fit into the broad culture. Well-prepared for college. Athletes? Local. Poor. Victims of the public schools. Lived a fairly insular life. That causes issues, problems, etc. Issues you don't see at many schools where the general student body profile is more similar to that of the athletes.

Excuse? Not a bit. Miami, and every other school, should follow the rules, or be punished enough to insure compliance in the future.
Gee, sounds a lot like USC (the University of Spoiled Children).

There is zero evidence to support that athletes at Miami fit this criteria more than any other school. None. There are poor athletes at every school.

Sandra

8 Players declared ineligible for the opener and possibly season

The U has declared 8 players ineligible due to the Shapiro scandal and now filed paperwork to reinstate.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP)—Miami has sent paperwork to the NCAA asking that football players declared ineligible for associating with booster Nevin Shapiro be reinstated in time for the Hurricanes’ season-opener at Maryland.

A person with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press on Thursday that Miami is awaiting rulings on eight players, including quarterback Jacory Harris. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one is authorized to publicly discuss the ongoing investigations by the university and the NCAA.

University officials would not confirm the number of reinstatements being sought.

“They’re eligible to practice,” Miami coach Al Golden said Friday morning. “We have filed paperwork to the NCAA as of late last night, which is part of the normal process. … The only entity that can reinstate them is the NCAA. So now we’ve done our part. We’re waiting. Of course, there’s going to be follow-ups from the NCAA standpoint. We’ve done our part from this end, and it’s up to the NCAA to reinstate them.”

Coach: Miami awaiting eligibility decisions - College Football - Rivals.com

Leave it to Jason Whitlock....

....finding a credible way to poke all kinds of holes into both Nevin Shapiro's credibility and poke holes into yahoo sport report, Charles Robinson.

Whitlock: Miami controversy only begs more questions - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN

Will start off with this:

Check my record. I have never liked The U. The “swagger” has always offended me. I recognized 25 years ago the “swagger” would make The U vulnerable to the kind of unfair attack it is experiencing today.

I’m not a homer for The U. I wasn’t a homer for Duke lacrosse. I don’t like media narratives that rely on the public giving in to its biases.

Then this interesting point stood out as well:

One word is missing from the Yahoo! story: Drugs.

You can’t tell this story accurately, honestly or credibly without addressing the drug issue. Drugs would raise legitimate questions about the nature of Shapiro’s relationships with the handful of anonymous sources backing (and/or refuting) Shapiro’s claims. Drugs would tell us a lot about Nevin Shapiro.

But the Yahoo! story would leave you to believe Shapiro operated in America’s Cocaine Capital, allegedly arranged strippers and hookers for seemingly half of The U, spent his nights in VIP areas at nightclubs and strip clubs partying with 20-somethings, and no one smoked a joint, snorted coke, popped X, swallowed OxyContin or even took Advil.

But Shapiro came clean, cleansed his soul? He’s transparent and trustworthy?

Shapiro did get Yahoo! to print that he never used any of the prostitutes he provided for Miami players. (I’m going to employ Robinson to write my biography. I hung out at McDonald’s and never tasted a Big Mac. I swear!)

And it goes on and on and on.

They are gonna ge sanctioned, no doubt about that....but I have a strange feeling ALOT will be hard to prove.

....finding a credible way to poke all kinds of holes into both Nevin Shapiro's credibility and poke holes into yahoo sport report, Charles Robinson.

Whitlock: Miami controversy only begs more questions - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN

Will start off with this:

Check my record. I have never liked The U. The “swagger” has always offended me. I recognized 25 years ago the “swagger” would make The U vulnerable to the kind of unfair attack it is experiencing today.

I’m not a homer for The U. I wasn’t a homer for Duke lacrosse. I don’t like media narratives that rely on the public giving in to its biases.

Then this interesting point stood out as well:

One word is missing from the Yahoo! story: Drugs.

You can’t tell this story accurately, honestly or credibly without addressing the drug issue. Drugs would raise legitimate questions about the nature of Shapiro’s relationships with the handful of anonymous sources backing (and/or refuting) Shapiro’s claims. Drugs would tell us a lot about Nevin Shapiro.

But the Yahoo! story would leave you to believe Shapiro operated in America’s Cocaine Capital, allegedly arranged strippers and hookers for seemingly half of The U, spent his nights in VIP areas at nightclubs and strip clubs partying with 20-somethings, and no one smoked a joint, snorted coke, popped X, swallowed OxyContin or even took Advil.

But Shapiro came clean, cleansed his soul? He’s transparent and trustworthy?

Shapiro did get Yahoo! to print that he never used any of the prostitutes he provided for Miami players. (I’m going to employ Robinson to write my biography. I hung out at McDonald’s and never tasted a Big Mac. I swear!)

And it goes on and on and on.

They are gonna ge sanctioned, no doubt about that....but I have a strange feeling ALOT will be hard to prove.

I don't feel like reading the article, but based on what you posted, I have no idea what point Whitlock is trying to make here. Seems pretty random.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)