The Numbers are in

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The wholesale price for channels are low. Pennies to maybe about a buck and some small change for something like high cost ESPN per subscriber. I saw a chart about 6 months ago. Some one is making easy money there is no doubt about that. That was the whole thing behind the bud in the beginning. If you remember Shawn Kenny used to preach that all C band wanted was a fair price. C band never got as low as he and many others wanted but it still was very good. Cable & pizza hated that and did all they could to change that so even now while there are still benefits to having H2H the costs are quite high vs the old days.

As far as the uplinkers on Ku look at HITS they abandoned Ku because of rain fade that was one of the reasons they went to AMC-18 vs G16 ku. Remember HITS supplies to any commercial establishment that wants it. Cable don't go out from rain fade it goes out from trunk amps going down from power outages or other weather related issues in storms with the local delivery system. If your lucky enough to live like a block from the headend you may be up 99% of the time. If you live like I do a good 10 miles from Comcast's plant here in Chicago there are maybe 100 or more trunk amps and miles of cable between me and the plant. Cable goes out quite often even in good weather and can be out for days after a good storm. The reason I got into c band originally was to have reliability of the signal and it always gave me that. While DirecTV is up most of the time soon as the weather turns rainy with moderate or heavy rain its gone. To me thats just B.S. Its not much better that RTN when it was on G10 ku. It went out all the time with rain here and that was a pisser. I used to switch to the G3 feeds on C band and watch them during storms. While ku is good for aesthetics and sales to the masses it truly sucks as a full time delivery system consumer or commercial. So your dammed if you do dammed if you don't with cable or pizza they both have reliability problems and for the cost you pay into them each month there should be none.

The masses have been brainwashed into accepting this and poor digital picture quality with the high prices. It wouldn't be so bad if you were spending $5.00 a month for this quality but with many bills being $100 or more a month with HD lite, DVR's multi rooms etc its outragous.

Last edited:
tvropro said:
The masses have been brainwashed into accepting this and poor digital picture quality with the high prices. It wouldn't be so bad if you were spending $5.00 a month for this quality but with many bills being $100 or more a month with HD lite, DVR's multi rooms etc its outragous.

I agree with the brainwashing comment, same thing applies to music, mp3s and even CDs....BUT the apparent average consumer is happy to accept these levels of quality & service.

If Joe's Pizza goes out in the rain, so does his neighbour's and his brother's and his workmate's...everyone the same, no one's different, misery loves company.....

Unless tvropro is your neighbour :D

trinidex said:
I agree with the brainwashing comment, same thing applies to music, mp3s and even CDs....BUT the apparent average consumer is happy to accept these levels of quality & service.

If Joe's Pizza goes out in the rain, so does his neighbour's and his brother's and his workmate's...everyone the same, no one's different, misery loves company.....

Unless tvropro is your neighbour :D

Of course...the other way to look at this is we're obsessed and everyone else has a life :D :)

People are like sheep. it just depends on how the marketing people herds them. The innovative little pizza dish offered the world on a small digital platter. it reqired little or no maintenance all at the price of freedom and choices-just like the way a lot of other things are trending in this country. they eliminated your freedom and choices.

Always remember -You never get something for nothing, just like nuclear power.

It appears people have been brainwashed entirely regarding digital is better. It could be but isn't! OTA Digital is increasingly not HD and some broadcasts now appearing standad def regardless
of being technically 1080i. Many are only 720 and even poorer. You should see what some of the new TVs display this garbage as. Direct has a very low customer satisfaction rating. Dish is better
in that regard and not by much. The real problem for all formats is the programmers which increasingly put out poor quality signal with loads of screen clutter. This makes much of what is up there
a PIA to watch regardless of method of delivery. The content is often putrid and not worth the money. Actuality is the most of what is up there in content could be handled by about 10% of the
present number of programmers. So in terms of a good picture with good programming it is not there and your money is wasted as donation to a most undeserving charity.

At least with analog you could a least get a signal if the signal was poor that day. Digital is like a light switch, all or nothing on and off.

macgod79 said:
At least with analog you could a least get a signal if the signal was poor that day. Digital is like a light switch, all or nothing on and off.

Correct is right!

It appears people have been brainwashed entirely regarding digital is better. It could be but isn't! OTA Digital is increasingly not HD and some broadcasts now appearing standad def regardless
of being technically 1080i. Many are only 720 and even poorer. You should see what some of the new TVs display this garbage as. Direct has a very low customer satisfaction rating. Dish is better
in that regard and not by much. The real problem for all formats is the programmers which increasingly put out poor quality signal with loads of screen clutter. This makes much of what is up there
a PIA to watch regardless of method of delivery. The content is often putrid and not worth the money. Actuality is the most of what is up there in content could be handled by about 10% of the
present number of programmers. So in terms of a good picture with good programming it is not there and your money is wasted as donation to a most undeserving charity.
Not to go too far off topic but that first statement is so true and companies are preying on the unsuspecting consumer. Here's a real gotcha. Watch out for all these older movies showing up on Blu-Ray at places like Wal-Mart. They were never remastered in HD. The took the standard def master and upconverted it so if you already have a DVD of the movie it will look exactly the same played in an upconverting Blu-Ray player as the Blu-Ray version will. Digital schmigital!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)