The Official Cleveland Browns '08 Season Preview

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
With a new NFL season soon to be underway, I thought I'd share a preview of the most storied franchise in all of sports as well as my hometown favorite: Cleveland Browns! Today, marks the opening of Browns training camp. All other teams around the league will also begin camp sometime this week.

Cleveland is particularly excited about this upcoming season and are filled with optimism not seen since the late '80's! All of this of course is due to the exciting turn-around season of 2007, our off-season acquisitions and expectations to succeed going forward.

And now, everything you need to know in order to follow your 2008 Cleveland Browns! Here we go Brownies, here we go! woof woof!!!!

*BTW, I changed my avatar from Oscar Gamble (former Cleveland Indian with awesome hair), to Kellen Winslow of the Cleveland Browns in spirit of the opening of Football season.

Training Camp Preview

Dates:
July 27-Aug. 23
Official Site:
www.clevelandbrowns.com
For more: Training camp dates

2008 Preseason Schedule

Aug. 7 vs. NEW YORK JETS 7:30 PM
Aug. 18 at New York Giants 8 PM
Aug. 23 at Detroit 4 PM
Aug. 28 vs. CHICAGO 7:30 PM

Key Comings and Goings

Veteran additions:

Donte' Stallworth, WR
Shaun Rogers, DT
Brandon Johnson, DE
Corey Williams, DE
Rex Hadnot, OL
Scott Player, P
Shantee Orr, LB
Terry Cousin, CB

Veteran departures:
Leigh Bodden, CB
Ricardo Colclough, CB
Simon Fraser, DT
Orpheus Roye, DT
Chaun Thompson, LB
Tim Carter, WR
Aaron Shea , TE
Justin Hamilton, S
Kenny Wright, CB
LeCharles Bentley, C

2008 NFL Draft Class

Rd, No., Player, Pos., Ht., Wt., School
4 5 Beau Bell LB 6-2 248 UNLV
4 111 Martin Rucker TE 6-6 248 Missouri
6 190 Ahtyba Rubin DT 6-3 315 Iowa State
6 97 Paul Hubbard WR 6-3 221 Wisconsin
7 231 Alex Hall DE 6-5 238 St. Augustine

2007 Season Recap

Cleveland rocks: The Browns weren't expected to contend in 2007, but they came oh-so-close to making the playoffs. The team found its starting quarterback in Derek Anderson, finished 10-6 and lost only one game at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Key Camp Questions

Can Jamal Lewis repeat his 2007 performance?
Bringing in Lewis from Baltimore last season proved to be a wise move, as he was the reason the Browns' running attack was one of the 10 best in the league. Lewis missed two games and still finished with 1,304 yards and 9 touchdowns. He'll be 29 when the season opens and the Browns hope he'll be a big part of their balanced, effective offense in 2008.

Did the Browns defense line improve enough to make a difference?
Given the Browns success last year despite owning the league's 30th ranked defense, Cleveland's front office must feel the Browns are ready this season to make a deep playoff run. The club made two key (and costly) moves in the offseason to bolster a line that gave up nearly 130 yards per game on the ground, acquiring DT Corey Williams from Green Bay and Pro Bowl DT Shaun Rogers from Detroit.

Will the young corners come out of camp game-ready?
In order to get Williams, the Browns had to trade CB Leigh Bodden, one of the bright spots for the secondary in 2007. Daven Holly, expected to start this season, was placed on IR after injuring his knee in May and the team released veteran Kenny Wright after a run-in with the law. The Browns will rely on two second-year men, Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald, to anchor the cornerback spots and 12-year veteran Terry Cousin to add depth.

Key Position Battle

No. 3 WR -- With Joe Jurevicius undergoing another knee operation in late June, he is expected to be placed on the PUP list before the start of the season, eliminating his availability until after the 6th week. The door is open for Josh Cribbs, who made the Pro Bowl last year as a kick returner, and lanky rookie Paul Hubbard. Also look for 3rd year WR, Travis Wilson to step up.

Rookie Spotlight

LB Beau Bell :
The Browns aren't interested in re-building -- so they traded their top three picks and chose linebacker Beau Bell in the fourth round -- a possible steal since other teams passed him up because he suffered a knee injury at the Senior Bowl. The UNLV product will have a chance to develop as an ILB in Cleveland's defensive scheme.

On the Spot

GM Phil Savage: His team's situation is completely reversed compared to last year. The organization put the hopes of the franchise on Derek Anderson, signing him to a huge contract. Then the front office spent a lot of time convincing Clevelandites it was the right decision. Some fans are still unsure about Anderson's ability. The NFL has no doubt -- they gave him five games in primetime in 2008. The Browns won't be in the spotlight, they'll be under the microscope when camp opens in Berea.

2008 Regular Season Schedule

Sunday, September 7 vs DALLAS COWBOYS FOX 4:15 PM
Sunday, September 14 vs PITTSBURGH STEELERS NBC 8:15 PM*
Sunday, September 21 @ Baltimore Ravens CBS 4:15 PM
Sunday, September 28 @ Cincinnati Bengals CBS 1:00 PM
Monday, October 13 vs NEW YORK GIANTS ESPN 8:30 PM*
Sunday, October 19 @ Washington Redskins CBS 4:15 PM
Sunday, October 26 @ Jacksonville Jaguars CBS 4:05 PM
Sunday, November 2 vs BALTIMORE RAVENS CBS 1:00 PM
Thursday, November 6 vs DENVER BRONCOS NFLN 8:15 PM*
Monday, November 17 @ Buffalo Bills ESPN 8:30 PM*
Sunday, November 23 vs HOUSTON TEXANS CBS 1:00 PM
Sunday, November 30 vs INDIANAPOLIS COLTS CBS 1:00 PM
Sunday, December 7 @ Tennessee Titans CBS 1:00 PM
Monday, December 15 @ Philadelphia Eagles ESPN 8:30 PM*
Sunday, December 21 vs CINCINNATI BENGALS CBS 1:00 PM
Sunday, December 28 @ Pittsburgh Steelers CBS 1:00 PM

*Nationally televised prime-time games.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
I see another shootout between the Bengals and Browns.

I dunno. The Browns Defensive line will be much improved with the additions of Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams. I expect more pressure on Palmer, thus eliminating the time for long aerial attacks.

You better enjoy Shaun Rodgers in the first 8 games, that about all he's good for.
I would not count on him if you make the playoffs.

Jimbo

I hope Cleveland plays it safe in preseason and uses their big-name weapons (Anderson, Lewis, all those recievers) for one series and that's it.

Don't risk injury (see Michael Vick in 2003)- oh, and don't play Quinn- I don't think Cleveland can risk either QB going down.

Who's the Browns QB behind #3 and #10?

I hope Cleveland plays it safe in preseason and uses their big-name weapons (Anderson, Lewis, all those recievers) for one series and that's it.

Don't risk injury (see Michael Vick in 2003)- oh, and don't play Quinn- I don't think Cleveland can risk either QB going down.

Ken Dorsey. (former Miami Hurricane).

The thing is, the Browns are currently only planning on carrying 3 QB's on the roster during camp and this season. Anderson and Quinn will have to take their fair share of snaps.

Ken Dorsey. (former Miami Hurricane).

The thing is, the Browns are currently only planning on carrying 3 QB's on the roster during camp and this season. Anderson and Quinn will have to take their fair share of snaps.

Getting a little ahead of yourselves there, these guys are not Manning / Brady and Montana....
They had BETTER play plenty, one partial good year does not merit HOF cridentials.

Jimbo

Not sure if motivation has anything to do with it.
He'll be 400lbs by Thanksgiving.
Way out of shape by the second half.

Jimbo

Apparently weight or physique aren't what they appear on Rogers. This 340lb freak can reportedly do a 360° dunk on a 10' rim! :eek:

Just gotta add, I'm glad this bad a$$ dude is on our side.....

14269.pgt.jpg

14385.r.jpg

HD MM,

I think Donte Stallworth will be a huge addition to this Browns offense. He was the forgotten man on the Pats last year because of Moss and Welker, but when he was the thrown to he made things happen. He's a great YAC guy.

HD MM,

I think Donte Stallworth will be a huge addition to this Browns offense. He was the forgotten man on the Pats last year because of Moss and Welker, but when he was the thrown to he made things happen. He's a great YAC guy.

Yeah, our offense lacked a YAC guy last year. Can't wait to see what Stallworth brings to the table! He should also take some pressure off Winslow and Edwards. The thing that is going to hurt though is being without Joe Jurevicius (staph infection). He was our most sure handed go-to receiver on 3rd downs.

Just realized something! There is going to be a few, EXTREMELY great weekends of Football going on in Ohio this fall! Especially this weekend.......

Saturday September 13th- OSU @ USC, 8pm ABC*
Sunday September 14th- Browns vs Steelers, 8:15pm NBC*

*Both nationally televised!

Just realized something! There is going to be a few, EXTREMELY great weekends of Football going on in Ohio this fall! Especially this weekend.......

Saturday September 13th- OSU @ USC, 8pm ABC*
Sunday September 14th- Browns vs Steelers, 8:15pm NBC*

*Both nationally televised!

Wow, that is one killer weekend of football in Ohio! Two great rivalry games.

The Bengals have a pretty good offensive line. I hope Willie Anderson comes back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts