The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

Probably. But if they objected becaue people were going to sign up and pay them directly, there is something the matter with them.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

You don't think they would try to use that as leverage to force Dish to make a deal on carriage? Or that they would rather people pay them in full directly instead of getting a discounted price from Dish?

Don’t know but that was what they told me when I put HBO on two of my accounts for $10.00 a month. But DISH also promised no Dvr fee on the 500 series of Dvr at the beginning of last decade and they reversed that a few years back. They also told me that a second hopper was only $7.00 a month and then they went up on that too ,so I guess there is no trusting anything a company tells you. It’s only true for that day.

What would be the problem with making an HBO Dish App?
I had suggested the exact same thing earlier. That way, Dish subscribers could still have access to HBO content through the Dish receivers, without the need for the linear HBO channels to hog valuable bandwidth on the satellites. If Dish truly is still in negotiations with HBO/Cinemax, then we would have to assume that all options are potentially still on the table and being discussed. If not, then there is probably no chance that they will ever come to any kind of agreement.

Don’t know but that was what they told me when I put HBO on two of my accounts for $10.00 a month. But DISH also promised no Dvr fee on the 500 series of Dvr at the beginning of last decade and they reversed that a few years back. They also told me that a second hopper was only $7.00 a month and then they went up on that too ,so I guess there is no trusting anything a company tells you. It’s only true for that day.
I had a 501 DVR on my account at the time that the DVR fee was introduced. However, any existing subscriber with one of those receivers was given a monthly credit to offset that DVR fee. For me, that credit lasted until after the QPSK to 8PSK conversion was completed (at which point the 501 could no longer be used to receive any satellite channels) even though I had long since deactivated that 501 and moved on to a different DVR that always had a monthly fee. So, Dish did make good on that promise. Also, as has already been discussed, the discounted HBO rate did last for as long as Dish still had HBO on their service (for the "life of HBO on Dish") so I really don't see what more Dish could have done to honor that promise, either, other than maybe not prematurely announcing an end date for that promotion, which created the impression that Dish was still going to be offering HBO, but at a higher rate than what had been promised to "lifetime" HBO subscribers.

Also, as has already been discussed, the discounted HBO rate did last for as long as Dish still had HBO on their service (for the "life of HBO on Dish") so I really don't see what more Dish could have done to honor that promise, either, other than maybe not prematurely announcing an end date for that promotion, which created the impression that Dish was still going to be offering HBO, but at a higher rate than what had been promised to "lifetime" HBO subscribers.

I guess as far as Dish is concerned, HBO is dead! :deadhorse

I guess as far as Dish is concerned, HBO is dead! :deadhorse
I also have a notion that writing an app for the Hopper isn't as easy as it sounds. No Hulu app all this time seems like they don't want or possibly can't provide it.

Even if, They probably need the provider (in this case HBO) to do a good deal of it. If it's not worth programmer resources and maintenance they might say no just based on that.

But the list of platforms that has it is vast. Roku box, The Roku channel itself, PS4, smart TVs, Probably a lot of iptv services. Missing is the Hopper.

Reactions: pattykay
They could offer a "Hopper 4 - Fire TV Edition" that would run apps from the Amazon App Store including Prime Video and HBO Now, no special porting needed.
Do these things compete with Dish programming and pay per view? It's possible they don't give us this kind of 3rd party service for business reasons. I'm sometimes surprised they have Netflix albeit I've never found it reliable.

Caveat: I have a Roku. But not everyone is comfortable with external appliances. It took a few weeks till my family members could get used to switching back and forth.

Do these things compete with Dish programming and pay per view? It's possible they don't give us this kind of 3rd party service for business reasons. I'm sometimes surprised they have Netflix albeit I've never found it reliable.

Caveat: I have a Roku. But not everyone is comfortable with external appliances. It took a few weeks till my family members could get used to switching back and forth.

As Dish gets into disputes with more and more providers and more and more content becomes unavailable, having an open app platform on Dish equipment (whether it be Android TV as on the Air TV Player or Amazon) to access the missing content would seem to be a prudent move. Dish could pivot to a satellite delivered OTA DVR platform with a set top box that also offers full OTT capability as none of the streaming services offer good local channel solutions.

I could be wrong, but I thought that Netflix and the other services do not get the new movies until after the pay per view window ends. So, there would still be a period of time where Dish could market the new movies without having to compete against other apps available on their set top boxes.

I had a 501 DVR on my account at the time that the DVR fee was introduced. However, any existing subscriber with one of those receivers was given a monthly credit to offset that DVR fee. For me, that credit lasted until after the QPSK to 8PSK conversion was completed (at which point the 501 could no longer be used to receive any satellite channels) even though I had long since deactivated that 501 and moved on to a different DVR that always had a monthly fee. So, Dish did make good on that promise. Also, as has already been discussed, the discounted HBO rate did last for as long as Dish still had HBO on their service (for the "life of HBO on Dish") so I really don't see what more Dish could have done to honor that promise, either, other than maybe not prematurely announcing an end date for that promotion, which created the impression that Dish was still going to be offering HBO, but at a higher rate than what had been promised to "lifetime" HBO subscribers.
My point is that you are told one thing and for what ever reason on the company side they will back track it and change it when they need to. So trusting anything ANY company says is really only good for the day that you talk to them about it. But DISH does put that in their agreement that they can change the price at any time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts