The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

I thought it was an ATT issue not an HBO issue.
Thought HBO just wanted to make money selling their shows.

Thought ATT bought HBO so they could use HBO to get subscribers to quit Dish and go to their Direct TV by demanding Dish pay for more HBO Subscribers than Dish had.

Monopoly at it's worst?

Thought ATT bought HBO so they could use HBO to get subscribers to quit Dish and go to their Direct TV by demanding Dish pay for more HBO Subscribers than Dish had.

Monopoly at it's worst?

Definitely at it's worst.

Monopoly at it's worst?

I don't know exactly how the corporate structure is set up, but HBO is likely operating as an AT&T division, and that's who Dish has to negotiate a contract with. How much AT&T corporate is directing those negotiations though, is a matter for speculation.

Basically and most likely is Dish would pay HBO $15. per month per sub, unless it guaranteed a certain amount of monthly subscribers then it would get a wholesale discount, since HBO already offers their service online for $15 per month, there is Zero profit for Dish to resell HBO, so why should they?, This is just my take on it. AND NOT actual fact, Only Dish & AT&T/HBO know the facts everything else is hear say. But Dish has said it is unlikely that HBO will be back on Dish, when GOT returns on HBO.

Basically and most likely is Dish would pay HBO $15. per month per sub, unless it guaranteed a certain amount of monthly subscribers then it would get a wholesale discount, since HBO already offers their service online for $15 per month, there is Zero profit for Dish to resell HBO, so why should they?, This is just my take on it. AND NOT actual fact, Only Dish & AT&T/HBO know the facts everything else is hear say. But Dish has said it is unlikely that HBO will be back on Dish, when GOT returns on HBO.
Remember, there were multiple sources talking about the minimum subscriber guarantee, but it had also mentioned that HBO would be paid for every sub over that guarantee.

Reactions: chiodo
Notice HBO does not contend they are offering the same deal they have had with DISH. So it is beyond reasonable to assume HBO/At&t wants more than they were getting whatever the configuration of how they are asking for it. So saying it is the fault of DISH is not genuine, offer to be on DISH for the same terms and **Presto** - you're back on DISH.
In past years maybe that would not be quite so true, it seemed like asking for more and more to be carried had no limits. Well it does and the pay carriers are feeling it. So content providers need to adjust. In this case however At&t in my opinion doesn't really want HBO on DISH so they can be the only Satellite company to carry it. Unless of course DISH will pay a handsome ransom. They won't.

I would go one step further and say that if HBO is not back in time for Game of Thrones, then HBO is never coming back.

While I've often faulted Dish for some of their outages, particularly a long one in our area with a smaller locals company, in this case, from what I perceive (and we never really know, it's remarkable how there are never any good leaks) I'm with Dish. AT&T owns Directv, so what a great way in their mind to give Directv a competitive advantage. "If you want HBO from your satellite provider, Directv is your only choice!" Sounds like a great reason to null the AT&T/Directv deal.

We watch HBO purely for original shows, I can't remember the last time we saw a movie that wasn't very old or very crappy on there. But their lineup of original programming, from True Detective to GOT to Barry, to a lot of older superb series we're catching up on (e.g. The Wire, Deadwood, and more) plus some of their documentaries,is outstanding. I preferred to get it on Dish for the simplicity and also because I usually could get it discounted vs. the $15 per month we pay for it on Amazon Prime, but my Harmony remote is one button push for Dish and another button push to bring up my Roku, with programmed buttons for Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. Hulu is the least watched of those three by far. We actually usually watch Netflix on the Dish but it's simple to switch to it on the Roku. And I like how Amazon Prime integrates HBO in to it's programming and guides.

Honestly, if we could just pick the 20 or 25 channels (including locals) we watch via the Dish Flex or whatever it's called and save money we'd do that. Our problem is by the time we add the locals and the sports to the channels we watch, the cost is about what a higher end Dish package costs anyway.

Why does the fact that I am able to get credits off and other freebies from DISH bother you so much? I mean I’ve been a customer for 22 years now and have three accounts in my name and I bought all my own equipment ,dishes and labs as well as installed them at all three locations. Shouldn’t I be offered something to stay after all these years? I mean I could of easily went with any other streaming service and still might if the credits ever stop coming in. I consider this a wise decision to barter over the price I pay and it has saved me a lot on programming over the years.

I see no issues squeezing any provider for credits or freebees to keep your business.

People switch every day to save money.

Besides that, after all the promos and discounts they are still making money off you every month, just not as much.

If any one gets a warm and fuzzy feeling paying full price for Tv or any other service be my guest and pay full price.

I don’t pay full price for anything. The only thing I’m paying full price on now is my spectrum internet at my cabin. It’s $65.99. I just haven’t had a chance to call them and get a new promo.

Yes, this is starting to look exactly like the Univision dispute. On the "Info" channels (301 and 311) there is no longer a propaganda video explaining Dish's side of the dispute, just a plain slate. Dish did the exact same thing to the Univision info channels, before removing those channels completely and basically announcing that Univision is never coming back.

If Dish does not see positive movement with HBO in the next few weeks, the 300's will probably go away or Dish will put something else in that place. It will then look like Dish never carried HBO. Life goes on. After all, Dish or any provider does not carry every available channel. Just like Direct does not carry Epix, Retro, Pixl, Inde, etc.

I was offered the HBO for life promo by customer loyalty or retention back then. They gave it to me on two of my accounts and they told me that it was as long as I stayed with DISH. For $10.00 a month I jumped on it . I don’t expect them to ever offer this again , even if they do get HBO back on DISH, which at this time it looks like it will never make a return.[/QUOTE

How can Dish or any provider offer any channel for life. With all of the continual disputes, who knows what channels we will have next month, let alone 5 years from now.

I don't know exactly how the corporate structure is set up, but HBO is likely operating as an AT&T division, and that's who Dish has to negotiate a contract with. How much AT&T corporate is directing those negotiations though, is a matter for speculation.

This could be the future. Some carriers will not carry all Premiums. It will be up to the customer to get the channel(s) they want on their own.

Reactions: NYDutch
I see no issues squeezing any provider for credits or freebees to keep your business.

People switch every day to save money.

Besides that, after all the promos and discounts they are still making money off you every month, just not as much.

If any one gets a warm and fuzzy feeling paying full price for Tv or any other service be my guest and pay full price.

I don’t pay full price for anything. The only thing I’m paying full price on now is my spectrum internet at my cabin. It’s $65.99. I just haven’t had a chance to call them and get a new promo.

I got a good discount myself this year. I have been with Dish now for 20 years. Even without HBO, Dish still rocks as they carry a lot of channels not available elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts