The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

I'm betting that we'll see AT&T/WarnerMedia roll out a new app this fall bearing the name of whatever their upcoming Netflix-competitor on-demand streaming service will be called. I'm predicting "HBO+" because they've already stated that it's going to basically have three tiers: on bottom, a mix of free, ad-supported older content; next, a subscription tier that sounds pretty much like HBO as it currently exists; and on top, a more expensive tier with additional content from the Turner channels, plus the Warner Bros. library of films (e.g. Batman) and TV series (e.g. Friends), plus some new original content that will only exist in this tier (not on any cable channel).

Eventually -- maybe even when it first debuts -- this HBO+ app will replace both the existing HBO Go and HBO Now apps. It will be their single, unified app for all forms of HBO. Existing subscribers will be able to just keep using their same HBO Go/Now log-ins on the new HBO+ app to get the same content as before in its middle tier. And if they want to pay a few bucks more, they can upgrade to the "plus" tier for its additional content. Anyone will be able to download the app and watch the free stuff in the bottom tier. I'm sure it will also include free first-episode samples of new HBO series to tempt folks to sign up.

Didn't AT&T put a telco exec--ignorant of the content creation biz who now lords over ALL of the media Warner and HBO because it would be redundant to have someone focused on Warner and another focused and running HBO--who only talks about non-redundant eyeballs watching all the Warner media 24/7? That aint how the media content game works. People do change channels or switch from Netflix to OTA TV or NON-Warner TV and content. This guy has no relationships with ANY of the creative people who helped make HBO Original content what AT&T considered a jewel. These telephone company people--who bought AT&T in the first place--haven't a clue what to do outside of the phone biz, except to buy companies and acquire massive debt that really could blow up in AT&T's face. They need MONEY, CASH, like NOW. This really could go badly for AT&T if they can't produce and deal with the debt QUICKLY. Sadly, it looks they bought a media company and don't know who to run it.

I feel like AT&T is going to take the Viacom route and just NOT produce ANY decent NEW content (that costs MONEY--and sometimes you LOSE when a show don't do well--that's the biz) and just offer OLD shows already in the vault, and we have seen how well that has done for Viacom.

If AT&T kills DirecTV, did they think just by pulling HBO off of Dish would stop people from going there? Not everyone has inexpensive internet service. Not everyone has fast internet. Maybe they could turn to cable, but our cable service still sucks even 20 years after we dropped it for Dish. In rural areas this is common.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Getting back to this thread's topic. While I personally don't believe HBO/Cinemax will ever return to Dish, there must be some reason why the bandwidth seemingly hasn't been reallocated.
As far as the bandwidth, I guess there is no harm in leaving a little bit of bandwidth unused in reserve, just in case it is needed for an emergency. For example, it was not that long ago that technical difficulties cost Dish the use of some of the local spotbeams, and they had to move several local markets to CONUS for awhile, while they were shuffling things around. As far as the channel numbers, I still think that has everything to do with the Starz negotiations. If Starz plays hardball and insists on being moved to the coveted spot at the beginning of the 300's, I think we will see those placeholder channels for HBO and Cinemax disappear immediately upon completion of that deal. Also, according to the Free Preview page on the mydish site, Dish finally let the free preview of HDNet Movies expire, so I am not sure how much longer that will stay on 300 and 310.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Also, according to the Free Preview page on the mydish site, Dish finally let the free preview of HDNet Movies expire, so I am not sure how much longer that will stay on 300 and 310.

Right now, I still see HDNet Movies on 130. I have AT250. I think the free preview started on Oct. 31. Either it is still going on, or it was added to AT250 and this page is inaccurate - HDNet Movies (HDNMV) on DISH | MyDISH Station Details

Reactions: pattykay
Getting back to this thread's topic. While I personally don't believe HBO/Cinemax will ever return to Dish, there must be some reason why the bandwidth seemingly hasn't been reallocated.

I disagree. I’m pretty sure that even though AT&T is trying to get people to come to DirecTV, I still think they are losing money by losing a provider having it. I think it’ll take quite a while, but I’m sure it’ll come eventually. Remember, even Univision came back after a very long hiatus.

I think at some point in the future, HBO/Cinemax will return. HBO/Cinemax lost some subs I am sure. The people that really watched the channels, either went elsewhere, or picked it up streaming. However there are some that have the everything pack, and just did without the channels. Some may have decided, they didn't watch HBO all that much, even though they were paying for it, that they did not need it.

I think at some point in the future, HBO/Cinemax will return. HBO/Cinemax lost some subs I am sure. The people that really watched the channels, either went elsewhere, or picked it up streaming. However there are some that have the everything pack, and just did without the channels. Some may have decided, they didn't watch HBO all that much, even though they were paying for it, that they did not need it.

I dropped HBO as soon as The forever $10 price went away. I still remember the majority of their movie library we’re pretty old. If they did come back at what, $15-20 a month I’d subscribe long enough to watch last season of GOT and the Deadwood movie.

Right now, I still see HDNet Movies on 130. I have AT250. I think the free preview started on Oct. 31. Either it is still going on, or it was added to AT250 and this page is inaccurate - HDNet Movies (HDNMV) on DISH | MyDISH Station Details
I am also still getting HDNet Movies. As far as the free preview, I think someone just forgot to turn it off. I remember the last time HDNet Movies was used as a "replacement" channel during the AMC dispute, and I kept getting HDNet Movies with Welcome Pack until about six months after AMC returned. AMC was also not supposed to return to Welcome Pack, but I kept getting AMC until about a month after the HDNet Movies preview finally ended.

I dropped HBO as soon as The forever $10 price went away. I still remember the majority of their movie library we’re pretty old. If they did come back at what, $15-20 a month I’d subscribe long enough to watch last season of GOT and the Deadwood movie.

Basically what joewhite57 said, for me. I have subscribed to HBO via my Roku channel for the next 7ish weeks long enough to watch the final season of GoT. After that, I will probably end the subscription. HBO does not show enough current movies often enough to justify the price...for me.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Basically what joewhite57 said, for me. I have subscribed to HBO via my Roku channel for the next 7ish weeks long enough to watch the final season of GoT. After that, I will probably end the subscription. HBO does not show enough current movies often enough to justify the price...for me.
I think since HBO NOW is on a month to month basis, one could subscribe for a couple of months a year and pretty much catch up on any series or movies you might have missed. That's a ten month savings that we didn't have when Dish carried them.

Reactions: joewhite57

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts