The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
We've got both and have compared both and have heard the comparison reports from literally hundreds of customers and the general consensus is that some HD channels look a little better on DISH and some look a little better on DirecTV but overall it's a wash.

SD on the other hand is definitely better across the board on DISH.

I'd say that's probably the only thing that can be done because there aren't really any channels worth adding. It isn't the early 2000's where channels were being added all the time.

I read somewhere that VOOM is still hanging around in some reduced fashion but it no doubt isn't what it once was.
There are a number of Starz/Encore, Showtime and one Epix channel that isn't HD. Why not remedy that and make them all HD? Just fixing that would be nice, and still leave more bandwidth to spread around... I realize that it's not like the heady days when HD was new and new HD channels were being added almost weekly, but some gaps in the premium channels should be fixed and then with what's leftover, boost the bitrate for some other channels, oh, and make the NASA channel HD (it's 2019 for crying-out-loud)!

That doesn't necessarily surprise me. The PQ shifts somewhat from one channel to another, so you can't base an overall conclusion on just one side-by-side comparison. I remember noticing how the PQ would look better on DTV on the main Showtime channel than it would on its multiplex channels (e.g. Showtime Extreme). I think they shift bandwidth around depending on how complex the video is in a given show/scene but also how popular a given channel/show is too.
Dish is the same way. Of course, on Dish, Showtime Extreme is only carried in standard-def. :biggrin2

boy, this thread went off topic and and derailed into a Dish vs. DirecTV PQ debate.

to try to get back to the topic, i still think Dish is playing the long game and waiting to see AT&T/WarnerMedia to blink and most likely, they are waiting for the current deal with the Turner Network channels to expire and force AT&T to blink when TNT, TBS, HLN, CNN, Boomerang and Cartoon Network/Adult Swim are removed from the Dish lineup or at risk of blackout. I'm sure it's gonna happen this fall as it was 5 years ago this October since the Dish/Turner Network dispute as that happened in 2014.

so i wouldn't be surprised if the current carriage agreement between the Turner Network ends in October if it is a 5 year deal that was reached in 2014. so most likely, this will be the only way HBO/Cinemax returns to the Dish lineup.

boy, this thread went off topic and and derailed into a Dish vs. DirecTV PQ debate.

to try to get back to the topic, i still think Dish is playing the long game and waiting to see AT&T/WarnerMedia to blink and most likely, they are waiting for the current deal with the Turner Network channels to expire and force AT&T to blink when TNT, TBS, HLN, CNN, Boomerang and Cartoon Network/Adult Swim are removed from the Dish lineup or at risk of blackout. I'm sure it's gonna happen this fall as it was 5 years ago this October since the Dish/Turner Network dispute as that happened in 2014.

so i wouldn't be surprised if the current carriage agreement between the Turner Network ends in October if it is a 5 year deal that was reached in 2014. so most likely, this will be the only way HBO/Cinemax returns to the Dish lineup.

AT&T doesn't seem to be all that interested in the future of Direct TV, at least the satellite service, so who know what will happen? Contracts often end up in dispute. But losing HBO is one thing, but losing CNN, TNT, etc is another. That is some of the bread and butter of a satellite service. More people will be upset if CNN goes. I hope DISH can make a deal, even if the charge is a bit more. DISH cannot keep losing services. Every time it happens, there is a loss of subs. People are are finding out there are many places to get their channels now.

Reactions: pattykay

I remember that dispute well. The minor Turner channels were removed from Dish for a month, and then they were returned with a short-term agreement while they continued to negotiate. The long-term agreement was not reached until much closer to the expiration date for the TNT / TBS contract (or maybe those channels were also subject to a short-term extension before the final contract was reached) around April 2015. Interestingly, during the extension period, I started receiving HLN and TNT with my Welcome Pack accounts. (I had two Dish accounts with Welcome Pack. One account gained HLN, and the other one gained TNT.) Both of those channels were removed from my accounts later that year, after the long-term contract with Turner was reached. How sure are we that the long-term contract reached at that time was a five-year deal? If it was a three-year deal, then it could have quietly been renewed right before Dish started feuding with HBO / Cinemax. In other words, even if your theory is correct, we could be in for a much longer wait than you are expecting, before this is resolved.

Quite obviously, it's a bad thing when a company owns both a competitive provider service and also the content provider networks... There should be laws against this sort of thing, because why the hell should people be forced to switch to another service provider to get the channels they want? This situation is getting to be beyond annoying...

Quite obviously, it's a bad thing when a company owns both a competitive provider service and also the content provider networks... There should be laws against this sort of thing, because why the hell should people be forced to switch to another service provider to get the channels they want? This situation is getting to be beyond annoying...
I have mixed feelings on that. Switching providers to get specific programming is certainly nothing new. Consider the various sports programming that DTV carries that Dish doesn't as just one example. What I do object to is a service provider owning content and setting the price for it higher for a competitor than for their own service. Proving that's occurring could be pretty difficult though.

Just cancelled HBO from Prime yesterday. For the cost off a one month subscription plus a free week watched the last season of GOT and the Deadwood movie several times. A few other first run movies.

Reactions: eddie willers
Just cancelled HBO from Prime yesterday. For the cost off a one month subscription plus a free week watched the last season of GOT and the Deadwood movie several times. A few other first run movies.
LOL I just did the same for CBS All Access. Watched both seasons of Discovery and a few classic Hawaii Five-0 and 1-hour Twilight Zone episodes

Apologies if this has been previously mentioned but the essence of this removal of HBO/Cinemax from Dish is their demand for a minimum buy in, right? I noticed that the ORBY Satellite start up is offering an HBO/Cinemax addon and I'm skeptical of them having this same requirement imposed on them.

If I'm correct, isn't this an unfair business practice on the part of AT&T?.

Apologies if this has been previously mentioned but the essence of this removal of HBO/Cinemax from Dish is their demand for a minimum buy in, right? I noticed that the ORBY Satellite start up is offering an HBO/Cinemax addon and I'm skeptical of them having this same requirement imposed on them.

Welcome to late stage capitalism, AKA why vertical mergers are not harmless.

As I explained earlier, due to the relatively small size of the company, Orby may have been much more willing to agree to AT&T's demands for HBO / Cinemax carriage than Dish would be willing to agree to the same terms. The speculation had been that Dish's previous contract for HBO / Cinemax had a 20% subscriber requirement (or the actual subscribership was 20% of Dish's total subscribers, whether that was a requirement or not) and AT&T was wanting to increase that to a 30% requirement. I do not have the actual numbers, but using ridiculously low numbers as an example, if Orby only had 100 total subscribers, this increased requirement would mean that they would only need to convince 10 additional subscribers to add HBO / Cinemax to meet the new higher threshold. Meanwhile, a company the size of Dish would need to somehow find about a million additional HBO / Cinemax subscribers. So, it is easy to see why Orby may have happily agreed to these terms, while Dish would strongly object.

Orby isn't a main competitor to DirecTV. Dish is. It's like the 90s Wrestling boom. WWF and WCW worked with ECW at times, but WWF and WCW would do anything to destroy each other.

Orby isn't a main competitor to DirecTV. Dish is. It's like the 90s Wrestling boom. WWF and WCW worked with ECW at times, but WWF and WCW would do anything to destroy each other.
ECW has a partnership with WCW. They didn’t start working with WWE until after it was unreported purchased by WWE. That was the same time Tazz came over and won the championship.

ECW has a partnership with WCW. They didn’t start working with WWE until after it was unreported purchased by WWE. That was the same time Tazz came over and won the championship.
Still goes to my point that both the bigger companies have no issue working with the far behind 3rd place group. Its each other who they won't work with.

Yes, it is just like the cola wars...

...and I can't take it anymore!

:music ;)
American capitalism doesnt tolerate monopolies. Instead they institute 3 company oligarchies. They don't care how healthy the 3rd company is. Orby is the 3rd company

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)