The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
FWIW: HBO Live Channels now show up under the Live tab on the Amazon Fire devices, making them a bit easier to find, if you are looking to watch something live on HBO and have your subscription through Amazon.

FWIW: HBO Live Channels now show up under the Live tab on the Amazon Fire devices, making them a bit easier to find, if you are looking to watch something live on HBO and have your subscription through Amazon.

I just bought a Amazon Recast and scanned in my locals, and they are right next to HBO/Pluto too.

Reactions: pattykay
I was working at a hifi store (and owned a LaserDisc) when DVD players were introduced. I hedged my bets and bought a Pioneer LaserDisc/DVD combo player. Of course, you'd go to Blockbuster (at only a few, bigger stores) to ask about DVDs and they'd pull a shoebox or two out from under the counter. They were so hard to get (and this was in Atlanta!) that I would have to drive about an hour to the only locally-owned video store who would sell (no rentals) LaserDiscs and DVDs on "Release Tuesday" to see if there was any $19.99 and up movie worth buying.

BUT...in about every DVD Player we sold, there were tacky little colored crepe paper cards introducing a new company called Netflix that would mail you DVDs that you could swap for newer releases.

Even at that time they predicted they would eventually send you movies over the Internet and take snail mail out of the equation. That was ALWAYS their goal, but at the time I couldn't see it. All I could afford was a WebTV that would take 15 minutes to download a 20 second jerky, crappy MPEG.

What a silly notion.

I still have my Pioneer DVL-909 LD/DVD player! One of my favorite pieces of electronics ever!

I remember when Netflix started the whole streaming thing. Their initial collection was weak, but they gave it away for free. Then I noticed how they were getting their app installed on every piece of consumer electronics short of toasters and blenders. They've really done a good job staying ahead of the trends.

Reactions: TheKrell
$15 a month for Amazon's HBO. Do they ever offer deals?
I think HBO has deals with Direct as they are all co-owned now. But in the Fall, HBO/Cinemax/Warner Streaming are all going into one package for $16-$17 a month. HBO alone is expensive. The the shows I watch, it is hardly worth the money. However, if I buy those shows off Amazon or other sources, I will be paying nearly the same as if I subscribed to HBO anyway. I am waiting for their package this Fall. It will be a better deal.

This thread is not dead yet. In fact, it may recover!

Here's an interesting poll on Fandom. I didn't think Disney would be so high. But they have all the good stuff...

Screenshot_20190709-154607_FANDOM.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
I think HBO has deals with Direct as they are all co-owned now. But in the Fall, HBO/Cinemax/Warner Streaming are all going into one package for $16-$17 a month. HBO alone is expensive. The the shows I watch, it is hardly worth the money. However, if I buy those shows off Amazon or other sources, I will be paying nearly the same as if I subscribed to HBO anyway. I am waiting for their package this Fall. It will be a better deal.

Renting from Amazon or buying? Once you own it media can be linked to other services. Forever! Like lifetime hBO for $10 a month on Dish

No. Never heard of it. What did I miss?? :eek:
Too late now! :biggrin

Pioneer put out that model before all the all the specs for DVD had been completely finalized. This was discovered when the DVD of The Matrix was released and wouldn't play. They had a free recall where they replace a chip or something, and it was all good after that. Hence it was called the Matrix something or other.

Don't all the major Premium TV services have Apps on the majority of Smart TVs and streaming platforms? Cut out the Paid TV providers and go direct to customer. So AT&T doesn't need Dish. Dish made a calculation and AT&T's new terms for providing HBO is no longer worth it to Dish. Dish knows that people like me with Dish will subscribe to HBO separately if HBO is that important to them.

The people who lose will be those who do not know how (or want to) to get HBO via streaming. They either do without (hurting AT&T) or switch to DirecTV (AT&T win-win).

AT&T should be doing everything they can to get people interesting in making HBO as popular as possible. Losing "Game of Thrones" leaves them with movies and a couple of series like "Westworld" and "Big Little Lies". HBO has too much competition from Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, and here comes Disney+…

Or can't because of limits of internet speed where they live

Too late now! :biggrin

Pioneer put out that model before all the all the specs for DVD had been completely finalized. This was discovered when the DVD of The Matrix was released and wouldn't play. They had a free recall where they replace a chip or something, and it was all good after that. Hence it was called the Matrix something or other.

OK, I vaguely remember the disc issues. I obviously missed the recall. I guess it is too late to call Pioneer now. :biggrin The unit still plays my LD collection just fine. Got to explain what it was to my 14 yr old daughter and her friends recently.