The real difference between Dishnet and Direct tv???

texansgal8

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 7, 2005
san antonio tx
Ok if voom shuts down i need to decide which satellite system to go with. I was looking into Direct tv mainly because of NFL sunday ticket and the NFL network they have, but was not happy about the idea of shelling out $1000 for their HD receiver with DVR. I know with the Dish Net they provide the HD receiver with dvr so that seemed a cheaper route to go. But maybe you can tell me if you feel Dish is really a better system. Also, do you think they will ever add the NFL network in the near future because iam an NFL junkie :D ? Thanks

I didn't think ppl were that unfriendly here at the Dishnet forum. Out of 25 ppl who read this post not one was nice enough to answer my question. Iam VERY new to satellite and know nothing about Dish or Direct so i thought this forum might be able to help me out. I guess maybe Direct tv is the way to go after all. Thanks for nothing everyone. I'm outta here.

Sorry :(

I guess DirecTV it is. You made the right choice. If it's an HD-DVR you want as well as satellite the D-Tivo is the way to go unfortunetly. It is expensive, but you're gonna get what you pay for. Dish's current HD-DVR model can be had as low as $389 but it's not worth it as it only has 1 OTA HD tuner and tons of bugs. Enjoy DirecTV

texansgal8 said:
I didn't think ppl were that unfriendly here at the Dishnet forum. Out of 25 ppl who read this post not one was nice enough to answer my question. Iam VERY new to satellite and know nothing about Dish or Direct so i thought this forum might be able to help me out. I guess maybe Direct tv is the way to go after all. Thanks for nothing everyone. I'm outta here.
Looks like a very logical person. Did not get a reply in 45 minutes from this forum, direct TV must be better!

BFG said:
Sorry :(

I guess DirecTV it is. You made the right choice. If it's an HD-DVR you want as well as satellite the D-Tivo is the way to go unfortunetly. It is expensive, but you're gonna get what you pay for. Dish's current HD-DVR model can be had as low as $389 but it's not worth it as it only has 1 OTA HD tuner and tons of bugs. Enjoy DirecTV

Ok thank you for answering. I'm just confused on where to go :confused: :(

korsjs said:
do your home work on both companies before you deceide. i would not buy anything until the new mpeg 4 receivers come out.

Why wait and loose out on watching HD programming who knows how many months? Robert from VE and LonghornXP have both said that D* will replace HD STB's when it's necessary for MPEG4 for only shipping (maybe) and a 1 year commitment.

rad said:
Why wait and loose out on watching HD programming who knows how many months? Robert from VE and LonghornXP have both said that D* will replace HD STB's when it's necessary for MPEG4 for only shipping (maybe) and a 1 year commitment.

IIRC one of the folks you referenced had posted a few months back that one of the Spaceway satellites was going to be launched in February 2005 so the credibility of your sources is questionable. DirecTV will be lucky if either Spaceway satellites get launched before May 1.

Just because people read the thread does not mean they know the answer. Some people read to find information but do not know the correct answers and there are just as many if not more people that are guests that read this board that never post. They are curious about what the thread indicates.

Amen. Probably about 1 in 5 actually posts.

Hey Lurkers, C'Mon in the waters fine. We won't yell at you if you say something stupid...... much. Just kidding ;)

One way to look at this is that Dish Network customers usually have a fair degree of patience.

You'd do good going with Direct TV. :)

BobMurdoch said:
Wow, if he is THAT impatient, that slow Tivo guide is gonna drive him INSANE.

In case he peeks in again...... here's a link to a channel comparison chart

http://steve.dbstalk.com/dbs/packagecomparison.htm

Thank you that helped alot. I guess i'll just stay where iam now till they give the final word on Voom. And i was pricing Direct tv's HDreceivers with dvr and thats alot of money for a receiver that may be outdated soon. thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts