The Road to Super Bowl XLV: The 2010-11 NFL Playoffs

Congratulations to the Steelers, the best team won for sure. Big Ben...what can you say? 10 for 19 for 133 yards, no TD passes and two INT's...and he was the best QB on the field. I know some stat-head can come in and say Sanchez played better with his 20 for 33, 233 yards, two TD passes and no INT's...and stat-head would be wrong!

Someone was saying during the week, Ben's numbers are never gonna look like Brady or Manning, but he does what he does ... Just gets the job done .... Steelers Offense did nothing in the second half, mostly running the clock out .... shades of Coach Tressel came to mind watching it, but when they needed to move the chains late to seal it with a 1st down with the Jets with Momentum, he did what he does, extended the play and got the job done !!!

Mendenhall was a beast in the first half. Broke tackles time and time again. Not sure how the Jets' halftime adjustment was to remember how to tackle...but they did.

Mendenhaul has come into his own this year and Redman runs just as hard with less playing time.

I think Polamalu is still hurt, as he was barely a factor. More credit to the Steelers' defense that they were able to stifle the Jets completely in the first half without their pro bowl safety.

I think Troy is still hurt as well, but he'll be there when you need him most ... he's got 2 weeks to rest and heal.

I give the Tomlins a great chance to win the Super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers' magic carpet ride looks like it came to an end in Chicago, where he was well below average. I think the black and gold boys will take care of business in two weeks.

I think this could be a VERY good game, you can throw on the Steelers secondary, they'll bend, but not break very often.

Some were saying that the Pack will look more like the team in Atlanta in the game, and I agree, it will be warm and indoors ( why is Dallas's new stadium an INDOORS stadium ?) .... Yes the Pack will look better, but, the Steelers also will benifit from a fast track as Wallace will run right by whoever they have on him when they NEED it.

Jets should keep their heads high, they had nothing to be ashamed of. Looked like Pittsburgh was the fresher team, especially in the first half. The first round bye is more of an advantage in the championship game than it is in the divisional playoff game.

The Steelers earned that first round bye, something that would benefit the Jets next year.

Way to go Pittsburgh! :up

Sandra

All season long, the NFL has been breaking records for TV ratings. Championship Sunday was no different.

Both the NFC and AFC championship games earned massive ratings Sunday for broadcast partners FOX and CBS, as millions of viewers watched the Packers and Steelers advance to Super Bowl XLV.

The NFC title game between the Packers and Bears was seen by an average of 51.9 million viewers, which was good for a 28.1 rating. It was the most-watched championship game in the early time slot (3 p.m. ET kickoff) on any network.

CBS did even better in the nightcap as the Jets and Steelers battled for the AFC title. The game averaged 54.9 million viewers, the most ever for a conference championship game. The previous high had been set in 1982 for the AFC championship game between the Chargers and Bengals.

ProFootballWeekly.com - More records fall for NFL TV ratings

Incredible stat: the Packers are the tenth different NFC Champion in the last ten years!

Only Dallas, Washington, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta and San Francisco HAVE NOT been presented the George Halas Trophy over the last decade.
And, of those six, only one has not won at least one playoff game during that stretch. Should be easy to guess who.... :)

Well, according to sources, Jay Cutler has a sprained MCL. Take that information for what it's worth.

The most bizarre thing is that Deion Sanders questioned Cutler's injury. Seriously? Deion Sanders? The only tackles Sanders ever made was when he tripped over himself trying to get out of the way of the ball carrier. :rolleyes:

Sandra

Last edited:
Now, this is some real investigative reporting!!

Jay Cutler and girlfriend Kristin Cavallari dined at Mastro's Steakhouse on Sunday after the Bears' 21-14 loss to the Packers in the NFC championship game.

Cutler, who left the game in the third quarter with a knee injury, was not on crutches but "he limped a tiny bit," according to a source. The couple was joined by 11 other people in Mastro's private upstairs dining room, and our spies tell us that he took the stairs rather than the elevator.

Cutler: From bike to stair master - Chicago Tribune

Another sure sign of parity in the NFL: This season is the fifth in a row that the defending Super Bowl champion has failed to win a playoff game the following year.

ESPN is reporting on First Take that Poncy has no structural damage. He should be ready for the Superbowl.

More info on Pouncey:

Despite suffering a left high ankle sprain in the AFC title game, Pittsburgh Steelers rookie center Maurkice Pouncey seems extremely confident he will be ready for Super Bowl XLV on Feb. 6 against the Green Bay Packers. But in our experience -- most recently with the quarterbacks of the Cleveland Browns -- this injury has kept players sidelined for about a month.

So the AFC North blog checked in with ESPN medical expert Stephania Bell to get some insight on whether Pouncey recovering in half the time is possible or a pipedream for the Steelers.

Stephania, let's start with what exactly is a high ankle sprain and why it's more severe than regular ankle sprains?

Bell: It's really where the injury is located. The most common ankle sprain, for instance if you're playing pickup basketball, is when you roll your ankle. Someone goes up to the basket, shoots, lands usually on another player's foot and turns an ankle. The foot points in and all that stress goes to the outside of the ankle and that injures the ligaments down where the ankle attaches to the foot. With a high ankle sprain, the mechanism is different. It's often that the foot is planted and the player's leg gets twisted around. And what happens is it damages the ligaments that are basically at the top of the ankle joint. These are the ligaments that form the roof of the ankle joint where the two lower leg bones connect -- the tibia and the fibula. Those two bones are anchored by ligaments and it helps form the top of the ankle joint. So when those two ligaments are damaged, that's called a high ankle sprain.

Pouncey is confident he can come back in two weeks from this injury. What's been your experience?

Bell: Usually we give an estimate of four to six weeks for a high ankle sprain of the moderate variety. A severe one could take much longer. But you do have some evidence of guys coming back sooner. If you look at [Houston Texans receiver] Andre Johnson, he said he had a high ankle sprain. He later had problems because he tried to push through it, but Johnson was able to play sooner on a less than 100 percent ankle. I think when you look into the context of two weeks, it's the Super Bowl, and Pouncey doesn't have gross instability or a fracture based on what we know. So it will come down to whether the Steelers get the pain down enough and the swelling down enough that Pouncey can have normal motion in the joint and put pressure through the foot. One of the challenges of a high ankle sprain is every time you weight bear or put pressure over the foot, it puts stress right on those injured ligaments. The good news for Pouncey is he doesn't have to go running down the field. In his case, his position helps him. But perhaps the biggest risk is somebody could land on that ankle or twist it again.

Does Pouncey's age at 21 help at all in this recovery process?

Bell: Yes, in one sense we always feel you heal a little bit faster the younger you are. But also Pouncey hasn't had the same extensive career to have multiple injuries, which then often make it harder to heal. It's all of those variables that factor into it. It's the extent of the injury and how well he heals. We see just in terms of swelling after injury, some people will swell a lot and some don't swell so much. And Pouncey having the experience of having a similar injury [right high ankle sprain in college] and coming back quickly certainly helps.

So there you have it from ESPN medical expert Stephania Bell. Pouncey returning to the Steelers for Super Bowl XLV is not impossible but will certainly be a challenge. We will keep you posted on Pouncey's rehabilitation process until the Super Bowl.

I wonder how many Steelers fans will be wearing one of these at Jerry Land? :D

62577-pittsburgh-steelers-defensive-end-brett-keisel-wears-a-troy-polamalu-w.jpg

Attachments

• 62577-pittsburgh-steelers-defensive-end-brett-keisel-wears-a-troy-polamalu-w.jpg
    62577-pittsburgh-steelers-defensive-end-brett-keisel-wears-a-troy-polamalu-w.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 118
Didn't Eric Shanks talk about not to long about about the possibility of there being "in-game music" during the Super Bowl (I hope not) just like during that one Rams/49ers game:
Fox Sports President Eric Shanks On Overseeing His First Super Bowl Broadcast

In an exclusive, wide-ranging conversation, Shanks gave us a few nuggets of information. Here are some of the highlights:

-- This telecast will use 44 cameras.

-- They will have high-tech cameras right on the sideline that can definitively tell in-bounds/out-of-bounds plays. These cameras are controlled in a robotic fashion from people in a remote location.

-- Fox will unveil new graphics.

-- The Fox robot will make an appearance on-air. (Fun Fact: the robot's name is "Cletus".)

-- Former NFL head of officiating Mike Perreira will be in the booth during the telecast. He will be off-camera but will be brought in to discuss any rule clarifications.

-- In general, this is going to be the most technically-advanced Super Bowl production in history.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Packers will win. :(

Either way, I think it will be one of the better Super Bowls..very evenly matched.

Good luck to you, Jimbo and all Steelers and Packers fans on here!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts