The White House wants your opinion on The DTV Delay ACT Bill

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Done, thanks for posting this and letting everyone know they can voice their opinion!

Here is what I submitted:

Absolutely no need to delay the transition!

1. Most of those who are not ready today will not be ready in June. So, how is June better than February?

2. Some will not do a thing until the screen goes dark.

3. Those who cannot afford today will be even less likely to afford in June. So, why delay?

4. How many millions does it cost to delay the transition? (22M for PBS alone!) The money would be much better spent in additional coupons for those who cannot afford converter boxes.

You know what really stinks? Many will not know just how good DTV can be until many of the stations go back to the VHF band and that can't happen while they are running analog on VHF and DTV on UHF band. What a catch 22.:rolleyes:

Doesnt bother me a bit. The 2 locals I wanted in digital are flash cutting on the 17th. Cant wait for CW HD via OTA! Another 3 are cutting on the 17th. Our ABC station might be staying but their digital is already built out. So if he signs it or not it changes nothing for me.

You must have missed where the FCC has decided that stations have to reaffirm their intent to shut down analog by Monday night, and that if they (the FCC) think there will be too many unprepared customers in a market, they can deny any or all requests. This despite the fact that the bill hasn't even been signed yet, AND despite the fact that the bill states that it is NOT its intent to prevent stations from switching on the original date if they wish!

Time to rein in the rulemaking powers of the FCC!

Why would a station have to get FCC permission to shut down their analog? It's not the FCC that is paying the stations light bill so I don't think they have any say in it. I have heard through the grape vine that area broadcasters in my state plan to kill analog on the original date... it is costing them tons of money to be running both transmitters at full power.

I think it's pretty funny how the politicians promoting this delay are doing so for the benefit of elderly people.

According to a Nielsen produced map listing the top 56 TV viewing markets, people over the age of 55 are among the BEST prepared for the DTV transition! The worst? Certain people under the age of 35! Many of those "slackers" don't vote. Not much to fear from allowing certain young people to get bit by their procrastination.

The OTA situation in my viewing market (Wichita Falls, TX - Lawton, OK) is getting better. KFDX (NBC) and KJTL (FOX) are now both broadcasting their DTV signals at full power. KAUZ (CBS) is working out some bugs in their DTV transmission, but will be running at full power soon.

I don't know if KSWO (ABC) in Lawton is running at full power, but I pick up the DTV signal anyway. On Friday KSWO announced it would be shutting off its analog signal on Feb. 17 and that every TV station in Texoma would be doing the same.

What's the difference between the above and the often criticized "policy by polling" that Clinton (and even Bush) used (read the polls or see which way the wind is a blowin' before doing anything) to govern. Yet, a White House website poll seems OK with the same critics.
There is an enormous difference. Professional polsters use small select groups and then attempt to extrapolate universal opinion from small samples. The on-line poll is available to everyone so there's no need to manipulate the data. What it says is what it says. Big difference between asking me what I think and asking someone three states away what I think and applying their opinion to me. There is no better way to ascertain true public opinion.

Under normal circumstances it should not have been extended and I would say too bad to those still wanting more time after 3 years. However the coupon program was underfunded and had greater demand than anticipated. Also, since the analog shutdown was government mandated to begin with it has responsibilities. The stations will be paying more money in a bad economy they otherwise wouldnt have. Another government mandate. Cant imagine they will do anything to help their costs.

I would love to see the comments submitted. Heck I would take a agree, disagree graph. My two cents is in the coffer now. Lets see if they even acknowlege the comments. I noticed the mainstream media did not make a big deal of this event.

You must have missed where the FCC has decided that stations have to reaffirm their intent to shut down analog by Monday night, and that if they (the FCC) think there will be too many unprepared customers in a market, they can deny any or all requests. This despite the fact that the bill hasn't even been signed yet, AND despite the fact that the bill states that it is NOT its intent to prevent stations from switching on the original date if they wish!

Time to rein in the rulemaking powers of the FCC!

The station group I am talking about has been on top of their STAs filed to the FCC so I can guarantee they are still taking care of business and hell or high water they are shutting down their analogs.

I will not send my comments.
The whole delay was initiated by Obama. So what is the point. He got the bill he wanted. And all these messages are just wasted keyboard clicks.
The same will be true for the comments about the stimulus. Even if all 200 mln. opposed it will send a message it will not make a dent.:mad:

You probably don't vote either. Way to be a part of the problem. Exercise the rights you're given so they're taken away.

I suspect the stations will be under some pressure to cave in and keep analog alive until June. Quite a few of the stations which initially seemed determined to shut off on 2/17 are announcing they'll keep it up until June despite the huge cost of doing so.

Also, I note that the president still hasn't signed the bill to my knowledge, and today is the deadline for filing to shut down on 2/17 if the bill is signed. This almost feels like a tactic designed to prevent stations from having the chance to file to shut down on 2/17.

II did say that they should have made an allocation to the coupon program so that more citizens would be able to get their coupons. Also since the economy is in the tank, this will help so many stations operate better financially. i read on pbs's website that a four month delay would cost a total of around 40 million just to keep their analog signals going.

More money for the coupon program is already in the Stimulus Bill (both versions).

PBS doesn't need to worry about the additional operating costs of maintaining analog as funding for PBS for this activity is also in the Stimulus Bill (both versions).

And you ask, what the heck do either of these items have to do with stimulating the economy or creating jobs, I don't know either.

Does anybody know if stations can reduce power on their analog transmissions to save money, as they wait for the "next" transition deadline?

SUBMITTED:

"Its been too long in the works and now is too close to the actual date after previous delays; just move along and do it. There will always be some percentage not ready and should not hold back progress while costing even more money."

Looks like all the major stations in metro-Denver have rolled-over for the Government and won't terminate analog broadcasts on 2/17/09, even though the new bill has yet to be signed by the President and is therefore not yet law.

If a significant number of people arent switched over in the next four months this bill will look pretty bad. I do wonder how many people that procrastinated over the last year or more will switch in the next four months.

To be fair because of the economy things harder for some... hence the underfunded coupon program. Maybe more than just some, I dont know. But if TV is that important to someone then the up front cost for some kind of converter is low ($50 for some models based on a quick Google search). For those that do have the means, LCD's have been so dirt cheap for months that they could go get one tomorrow if need be.

Oh one last thing about the coupons. If I understand it right the program cannot give out more until other coupons expire. I suppose that means those that expire simply did so because people said forget it and just got a new TV... but did not cancel the coupon because it would just be free money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)