The Worst luck with DiseqC switches.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
I have 3 of these that are 4-way. Before I got the third one, on the first 2, only one port would work. In the beginning, all 4 ports worked on both, but it gradually got to the point where there was only one working port on each. So I now get this third one, a brand new one at that. The Ebay seller who sold me my S9 recently, he included one of these. So I've had it for probably around a month I guess. Just like the first 2, all 4 ports were working in the beginning. But now I'm down to just one port working on this one as well. What in the world is causing this? Do these ports just randomly malfunction at some point without warning? Anyone else experience similar problems with DiseqC switches? This is not receiver related. I have an old Lifetime Ultra. I plugged that back in just recently, so I could see if any of the other ports worked on any of these switches. Same thing, just one port worked on each. Are these things pretty much toast now, or is there a way to fix this?

make sure you never unplug or plug in your coax with the receiver powered on....this can fry your switch....always turn it of with the rear switch before playing around with wiring....i use EMP diseqc switches and think they are the best in my opinion....mine are out in freezing cold all winter and snow and rain, and extreme heat in the summer and i have never had one fail....ever

I haven't had any Diseqc switch failures since I ran a ground wire to each of them, and put them under a weatherproof cover.

Also, I always shut off the hard power switch on the receiver before disconnecting or connecting any device.

make sure you never unplug or plug in your coax with the receiver powered on....this can fry your switch....always turn it of with the rear switch before playing around with wiring

Ummm...I can see one rule that I haven't been always following. Strangely enough, on my newest switch, I tried your suggestion and first turned off the box with the power switch on the back. I then hooked the CBand dish to one port, and the offset to another port, then turned the unit back on. I now have at least 2 working ports instead of one. But that's cool, because I only have 2 dishes anyway. From now on tho, I will no longer ignore this rule. I will always turn off the unit first, before installing or removing any coax cables. Thanks for reminding me. I think I knew this, but disregarded it some of the time, as much as I hate to admit as being that careless.

A little off topic but. . . . . .Wondered how to test one of these switches. Went to internet Google search with "testing diseqc switches." What pops up? First item > Satelliteguys.us and a post from 8/18/2007 by Anole on building a great testing device!
It proves if you want answers, this site has the people that know!

RT.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts