Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom Taylor

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 2, 2004
Northern Ky.
Recently there has been a lot of talk about receivers that can be used to steal programming. Some of the receivers are modification of small dish receivers and some alledge that certain fta receivers can be modified. We know that Dish especially is trying and probably will be successfull in stopping this by first ECMs and later a card swap out. I also know that some of the fta receiver manufacturers are also very worried, for two reasons. I know that manufacturers in China and Taiwan sell a lot of commercial equipment in the United States. Just because a commercial receiver may have a U.S. brand on it doesnt mean that it is made here. In the case of the BEC receiver, they are part of Benjamin, a company making a lot of computer mother boards and componants. Anyway, these manufacturers have a lot to loose by a few hackers using their receivers as buglary tools.

More important, there is a fear that these modified receivers may lead to legislation that will require all new receivers to be made so they can only receive programming that the programmers want them to. We all fear that new regulations that will take our rights to see what we want to away. Remember, there are those in Hollywood that would like to make all TV pay per view. Every wonder what the Phone Connection on the back of a Dish Network receiver is for??? According to Charlie Ergen, Dish can tell what their customers have watched although they havn't done that,,, let me add yet.

I could go on and on, but it is our freedoms that we must protect and by discussing how to steal programming we put these freedoms in danger.

Just one more thing while I am here, it is conceivable that some judge in the US or Canada may sieze the records of those companies that sell receivers and say that they can be modified. Owners may be billed by a program provider for a say $3000. DirecTV has done just that. Who has big bucks to fight it in court. I said this in the days of the Videocipher and I will say it now, in the long run it is cheaper to pay Dish or Directv for the programming, and you will sleep a lot better.

If that doesn't convince you then lets just say no hack talk, it puts us all at risk

Tom,
Thanks for your eloquent dissertation on hacking. The true hobbyists must surely be sick and tired of the endless questions and waste of space created by those who just want to get something for nothing. I know I am. I think I can speak for us all when I say we will continue to monitor and remove any hack talk we see cropping up. This is not the place for it.

PSB said:
Tom,
The true hobbyists must surely be sick and tired of the endless questions and waste of space created by those who just want to get something for nothing. I know I am. I think I can speak for us all when I say we will continue to monitor and remove any hack talk we see cropping up. This is not the place for it.

And ban people who keep abusing the "no hack talk" rule :)

it does

Over on the right of each post, there is a ! in the red triangle. If a post is bad (for language or hacking), you click on it and the mods and admin get a message reporting it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.