Thinking About Cancelling

faithntim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Granger, Indiana
Perhaps you can help me decide. I currently have Voom, Dish 180, and Expanded Basic Cable. I primarily have cable because of my cable internet connection (it's cheaper to keep cable then to disconnect because of discounts). My cable does not currently offer HD in my area.

I need to drop either Voom or Dish. Here are my thoughts...

• VOOM movie channels are worthless. Same movies, mostly older, over and over.
  • Other VOOM HD channels are of no interest to me, such as the Art channel, the Auction channel, Ultra, and cartoon channel. They look great, but the content is of no interest.
  • Occasionally the RAVE channel is interesting. The HD News looks great, but I never watch it.
  • About the only HD channels I watch on VOOM are Discovery, Bravo, and Local channels.
  • I could get local HD channels without paying $40/month.
  • I cannot easily use my ReplayTV to record anything from VOOM. It's possible, but takes a lot of effort, and I can't do it from a program guide.
  • We watch more DISH than VOOM, especially since we can timeshift record on Replay. Most of our TV watching is done through Time-shifting.
  • The kids like TVLand, I watch Fox News a couple hours a day, and we occasionally watch movies on standard channels or on PPV.
  • I pretty much only watch the Cable channels for local (when it's not a show in HD) or the Weather Channel.
I'm leaning towards cancelling VOOM, but I'd have to buy an HD receiver for my local channels. Might have to buy an HD antenna too -- not sure if VOOM would leave it on my roof or not. If I added Dish's HD package, I'd also have to spend some money on a Dish HD receiver. Or, I could wait and see if my local Cable eventually adds HD in our area.

It appears that I can't get the best of all worlds without subscribing to everything. However, not real interesting in continuing to pay $100+ per month.

Does anyone have any compelling reasons why I should keep VOOM?

We found a few months ago that a simple log of what we watched was VERY surprising.
(We weren't looking to change providers, but simply to check what premium services made sense.)
But we did discover a handlful of channels we NEVER watched and cut them out, saving about $30 a month.
It sounds like, from your comments, there is no reason to keep VOOM.
If you miss it, you can always come back.

Faith,

I read what your post but unlike you, I could careless about SD stations. I do not watch them and I have a 721 and 501 collecting dust (timeshifting sd programming). The only HD program on E* that is compelling enough is HDnet which I can keep for $15/mth. If you are happy with getting SD channels, by all means, go with E*, Cable or D*. I am not going back not after having 37+ HD channels. I can always find something interested to watch. DVR with VOOM is not here but also it is not far. So I am willing to wait until it comes out. Good luck if you decide to drop VOOM :) but you'll be crazy to change SD channels for HD channels (even if they are not compelling enough to you). I guess this is my opinion and not yours. :)

Sean Mota said:
Faith,

I read what your post but unlike you, I could careless about SD stations. I do not watch them and I have a 721 and 501 collecting dust (timeshifting sd programming). The only HD program on E* that is compelling enough is HDnet which I can keep for $15/mth. If you are happy with getting SD channels, by all means, go with E*, Cable or D*. I am not going back not after having 37+ HD channels. I can always find something interested to watch. DVR with VOOM is not here but also it is not far. So I am willing to wait until it comes out. Good luck if you decide to drop VOOM :) but you'll be crazy to change SD channels for HD channels (even if they are not compelling enough to you). I guess this is my opinion and not yours. :)

I agree with you...for me. However, with my wife and 4 kids (ages 3 to 11), there viewing habits are more based on content than quality. Being able to watch Gilligan's Island when they get home from school every day, even in crappy SD, is pretty important to them. Actually, most of this dilemma is because of our reliance on ReplayTV. How soon do you really think that the VOOM DVR could be a reality? And, when the new satellites kick in on October 1st, how quickly do you think they'll add new stations?

I can only tell you from what the press release has stated... Everything is supposed to happen late summer/early fall.

Wow - no way I'd give up Voom for any reason involving SD channels - and I have a wife and son (3).

My wife claimed she couldn't live without this or that - but here we are and she's adjusted. We're Vooming and loving every minute of it!

Faith

In my situation I still have basic cable and the internet for the same reason as you it is more economical to keep basic with the net. I do agree that the exclusives do not provide much if not any content for me. But I do have to say I have noticed a few movies on the exclusives that I may like to watch it seems they are getting a few that are a little newer. For me Voom has been acceptable for me in the other aspects and channels that are available. They also seem to add HD channels in a more timely matter than other providers. I do have to say my daughter actually likes animania for some reason.

I guess we each need to make our own minds up to as what works best in our households. Maybe with time Voom will make themselves to be the best choice for you and some of the people who have left in the past.

I'm paying $79/month for Voom, I watch ZERO SD, I have the Dish HD Pack, $15/month and I find myself watching my Dish more than Voom. Mostly due to the PQ issues on Voom. The channels in the HD Pack I watch on Dish instead of Voom, the PQ is much better plus I have HDNET. I rarely sit down and watch an entire show on Voom, I'm usually just browsing to check out what's on. I may cancel Voom soon if the PQ doesn't pickup.

I Have To Admit That Last Night I watched Odssey 5 On HDNet On D* & The PQ Is Better
On D* Then V* But V* PQ Is Still Pretty Good & All The HD Content On V* Keeps Me Here.

I'm going to stick with Voom for the next 6-7 months and keep on evaluating them, I hope all the threads on these forums about PQ will allow them to emphasize that instead of just shoving loser channels down people's throat. I think most people like having lots of HD channels but Cinema10 and MOOV are total wastes of time, I have yet to see a movie on there I want to see. I do like Gallery, Auction, and the kids like Animania. I would rather see Cinema10 turn into Cinema3, add other channels like INHD and HDNET and improve PQ across all the channels.

That So Funny DVLOS I'm The Total Opposite. I Watch 102 World Cinema, 108 Epics,
121 Monsters, 123 Worldsports, 124 Rush, & Once 125 Rave. I Have No Interest In Any Of The Channels Above 125. (As You Put It I Think Those Channels Are Loser Channels)

Now We Know Why Voom Has All These Different Channels. (All Our Tastes Are Our Own & Not Necessarily The Same)
Way To Go VOOM Keep Giving Us Variety (It Will Keep Us All Happy & Mad At The Same Time)

deArgila said:
Wow - no way I'd give up Voom for any reason involving SD channels - and I have a wife and son (3).

My wife claimed she couldn't live without this or that - but here we are and she's adjusted. We're Vooming and loving every minute of it!

I have to second this one.

I'll bet a lot of people who demand the SCI-FI channel (SD) on VOOM will be disappointed when it finally gets here now that they are spoiled by HD. :D

We've been VaVaVooming without OTA (can't get local OTA here). We hardly watch VOOM's SD channels and have used local cable about twice since VOOM got here. I am ready to dump cable right now.

wbufetta, I like the HDTV channels, my shrinking of the Cinema channels is because I think they are a bit redundant, I like Monsters and worldsports, rave, etc.. But 10 Cinema channels all showing old movies seems a bit much? Perhaps if you have 10 Cinema channels each devoted to an era or genre, that would be cool but 10 HDTV channels dedicated to old obscure movies seems excessive. Personally I would like more variety as you said.

I still watch SD channels for the programming, like some shows on NBA I cringe when they don't offer it in HDTV (even though they have the capabilities too), mainly the channels I watch that are SD are Sci-Fi (not on Voom yet) CourtTV, Comedy Channel, Animal Planet, and Discovery.

Mainly CourtTV I think looks horrendous lately for an SD channel. I would like to see the inclusion of Discovery Science, USA HD, and Sci Fi. My kids love all 5 cartoon/kid channels. My wife loves other channels, it's hard to agree on what to watch together. The point is variety is one thing, HDTV is great - hopefully someday all channels will be in HDTV, but redundancy is something different.

Cinema10 can be condensed into 3-4 channels and have the same movies playing. Perhaps in the future when Voom offers TiVo or DVR or something they can consider this. I think it would be better to have

Cinema 1 - Comedy

Cinema 2 - Drama

Cinema 3 - Action

Cinema 4 - Romance

etc...

Than the way it is now:

Cinema10: 1950-1988 Movies no one recommended to you, and repeatedly broadcast 3 times a day.

At least that's my honest opinion upon initial observation.

Everyone has different tastes. Lately I have been watching a lot of Cinema 10 movies. I have really gotten into Westerns and have seen some really good movies on Epics. If it were not for VOOM I would have never been able to see the variety of older movies. If I want newer movies, I watch the premiums. I don't watch Divine, so there are 9 cinema channels my family watch + Monsters, Rave, Rush, Gallery is great and my youngest loves Henry's world on Animania. About the only one's we don't watch are MOOV, Treasure and Auction.

The movies are older but how many have you really seen? There are many very good movies that have been out a while. Compare this to the comic book crap being released by Hollywood today and I'll take the vintage quality films every time.

Hint: You don't have to watch them all. I see 2 or 3 a week. That's all I have time for. If you're watching 24/7 maybe you need to get a life.

Sean Mota said:
Faith,

Sean,
Do you or could you have only a HD pkge. from D* or E* without any base pkge's. ? When I cancelled my D* sub. awhile back they told me no unless the csr was uninformed.

Actually a lot of those movies are pretty interesting. Just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean they suck!! I'm a huge movie buff and I'll admit I haven't heard of a lot of them but I love movies enough I'll watch any of them. Usually I'll just turn one on and start watching for 5 minutes and if I get into it I'll watch the whole thing. Some of them are actually quite good...

gunn55 said:
Sean,
Do you or could you have only a HD pkge. from D* or E* without any base pkge's. ? When I cancelled my D* sub. awhile back they told me no unless the csr was uninformed.
Dish offers an HD Package for $9.95/month and includes:

PPVHD
ESPNHD
HDNET MOVIES
HDNET
DISCOVERYHD
TNTHD

Plus you get NASA, availability to all the PPV's and shopping channels. There is also a $5 extra charge for not having a minimum program package like the AT60.

DarrellP said:
Dish offers an HD Package for $9.95/month and includes:

PPVHD
ESPNHD
HDNET MOVIES
HDNET
DISCOVERYHD
TNTHD

Plus you get NASA, availability to all the PPV's and shopping channels. There is also a $5 extra charge for not having a minimum program package like the AT60.

Cool, good to know thanks Darellp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)