Thinking about getting D*, have some questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well after seeing some of the channels on D* at my sisters (MLB Network for example) ;) I'm thinking of getting D*...mainly for FSN North (after all the Twins have a new stadium) and MLB Net but have a few questions that I couldnt find a definite answer.

So hopefully the experts can help. (I havent had D* since they bought Primestar. We were in a Pegasuck area)

1. Are there any SD English channels on 119 (sans locals...mine are on 101) or is it all Spanish?
2. If everything is on 101 would they allow a "non normal" dish setup? See pic below. I have a Primestar dish at 105W (for free to air) and a DBS LNB next to it. All signals in high 80's low 90's. In fact, my neighbor right now is using one of the ports (we have to run a new cable for one receiver and its 125 feet and we have 2 feet of snow...so we're waiting til spring to replace the bad cable) and the other one right now is for my bedroom HD receiver that I am using for OTA only (Sony D* receiver) or do I let them install the dish then remove it after they leave or can they use that?
3. If I dont get the sports pack (just want my local RSN) on Dish there are Alternate channels that have some college games that are usually not blacked out (I relaize pro sports are....but some college games on there are not). Also some college hockey (like on FSN Wisconsin). Do I get those on D* too? I assume I have to actually find the channel (like FSN WI) as I noticed the alt channels are not grouped together
4. On the subject of the alt channels, D* has 2 feeds of Fox College Sports (617 & 623). Are those sports pack only or are they considered ALT channels?
5. The SD DVR...I've heard its great and I've heard its a POS. So how is it? I know its only a single tuner but does it lockup all the time or does it work pretty smooth? If its junk, I'll get the SD receiver and use my DVD recorder/hard drive
6. How long do I have to be a sub before I could "move"? I can get my locals in HD OTA but the neighboring DMA has a CBS that I want to get. The DMA actually is only a 1 channel DMA (Mankato, MN)....the other big 4 nets are from Minneapolis ;)

I might have more questions later but these are the ones for now.

Attachments

• PICT0077.JPG
    PICT0077.JPG
    753.6 KB · Views: 257
I wish I could help you, but you have some pretty good questions here, many of which I do not know the answers to.

5. The SD DVR...I've heard its great and I've heard its a POS. So how is it? I know its only a single tuner but does it lockup all the time or does it work pretty smooth? If its junk, I'll get the SD receiver and use my DVD recorder/hard drive
;)

I might have more questions later but these are the ones for now.
The R16 is Junk. The worst Receiver I've ever used in the history of satellite and Cable TV.
If they are giving out R22's then you might be better off.

Last edited:
Well after seeing some of the channels on D* at my sisters (MLB Network for example) ;) I'm thinking of getting D*...mainly for FSN North (after all the Twins have a new stadium) and MLB Net but have a few questions that I couldnt find a definite answer.

So hopefully the experts can help. (I havent had D* since they bought Primestar. We were in a Pegasuck area)

1. Are there any SD English channels on 119 (sans locals...mine are on 101) or is it all Spanish?
2. If everything is on 101 would they allow a "non normal" dish setup? See pic below. I have a Primestar dish at 105W (for free to air) and a DBS LNB next to it. All signals in high 80's low 90's. In fact, my neighbor right now is using one of the ports (we have to run a new cable for one receiver and its 125 feet and we have 2 feet of snow...so we're waiting til spring to replace the bad cable) and the other one right now is for my bedroom HD receiver that I am using for OTA only (Sony D* receiver) or do I let them install the dish then remove it after they leave or can they use that?
3. If I dont get the sports pack (just want my local RSN) on Dish there are Alternate channels that have some college games that are usually not blacked out (I relaize pro sports are....but some college games on there are not). Also some college hockey (like on FSN Wisconsin). Do I get those on D* too? I assume I have to actually find the channel (like FSN WI) as I noticed the alt channels are not grouped together
4. On the subject of the alt channels, D* has 2 feeds of Fox College Sports (617 & 623). Are those sports pack only or are they considered ALT channels?
Mostly Local SD channels are on the 119, No National English Channels that I've ever seen on the 119.

Unless the RSN's that you are seeking are your Local RSN's and you subscribe to the Choice Base pack for $58.99 per month,,,, You will NOT get any RSN's without the Multi Sports pack For $12.99 per month

But to answer your Question there is Alternate RSN's incase a game you want that is blacked out, that you could still view, even without the sports pack aslong as its your local rsn and you have Choice Pack.

As far as the install, they will only Install their own dish setup, so Its up to you what you do when they leave.
But remember, you will NOT get any RSN's Unless you subscribe to the Choice pack or Higher.
If you want the Family pack for $29.99 per month, Then you must subscribe to the Multi Sports pack to get even your local RSN's.

Hemi
I was looking at Choice for minimum which does have my local RSN. What I'm saying is on Dish some of the games on the alt channels you can see even without the sports pack. If as example, FSN has a big college b-ball game on all the FSN's but FSN North (my local RSN) has a different game (like the MN Wild) I was able to see it on an alt channel.

Same with Wisconsin hockey...that is on an alt channel

as for the install. Thats what I figured. Heck I might just hook up my own dish since I have a few 18" dishes laying around ;)

What is the current DVR model for SD only? Otherwise I'll just go with the D12 (I think thats the one that SD only folks are getting)

Hemi
I was looking at Choice for minimum which does have my local RSN. What I'm saying is on Dish some of the games on the alt channels you can see even without the sports pack. If as example, FSN has a big college b-ball game on all the FSN's but FSN North (my local RSN) has a different game (like the MN Wild) I was able to see it on an alt channel.

Ice, If the alt channel is still your FSN you will be able to see the game. I have had this issue with pro basketball and Hockey. Basketball was on the regular channel and the hockey game was shown on an alt channel.

Jag
We only have one RSN here in Minneapolis (FSN North)...when we have issues like 2 sports on same time usually the 2nd game is on OTA in Minneapolis :)

But I know when I am at the cabin where we have Dish I can see most college sports on the alternate channels and my dad only has AT250. No sports packages on it. Pro sports are blacked out but I've seen college games on the alternate channels.

BTW Ice, on the question about the R16. It is not the best or worst DVR on the market. The only real issue is it is a little slower than other DVR's. I have one and so far it has done its job by not missing a single recording. That is pretty much all I care about as the speed does not bother me.

OT, but still on the DVR issue.

I have always maintained that my HR20 has been perfect and never once slowed down on me or messed up anything. Ever since Direct added the Smart Search feature on the menu, it seems like my HR20 has been performing like a dinosaur. There are times I would hit the guide or list button and I had to wait more than 10 seconds for it to respond.

Last edited:
Hemi

as for the install. Thats what I figured. Heck I might just hook up my own dish since I have a few 18" dishes laying around ;)

What is the current DVR model for SD only? Otherwise I'll just go with the D12 (I think thats the one that SD only folks are getting)
I would stay away from the SD DVR.
The D12 works Much better.
The current model is back to the R16. Was R22 for about a year, Not sure why they dropped it.

OT, but still on the DVR issue.

I have always maintained that my HR20 has been perfect and never once slowed down on me or messed up anything. Every since Direct added the Smart Search feature on the menu, it seems like my HR20 has been performing like a dinosaur. There are times I would hit the guide or list button and I had to wait more than 10 seconds for it to respond.
This is how the R16 works all the time.:(

OK so the best is to just get the stock SD receiver and use my hard drive/dvd recorders to record

I assume D* wouldnt activate as an additional receiver one of the two I have here already
Sony D* receiver with HD OTA tuner
Directv H10

since they have HD built in then they'll want me to get HD??

OK so the best is to just get the stock SD receiver and use my hard drive/dvd recorders to record

I assume D* wouldnt activate as an additional receiver one of the two I have here already
Sony D* receiver with HD OTA tuner
Directv H10

since they have HD built in then they'll want me to get HD??
They may let you, you might have to get new access cards though.
As far as HD service, I don't think they will care if you have HD service since your receivers aren't mpeg 4 anyhow.

Ice, I wouldn't just take the word of the most Anti Directv customer out there on the DVR. I would think that if it was as bad as Hemi stated you would see 1000's of threads on the subject. Is it slow, yes but not 10 seconds slow to bring up the guide. It might take a second or two but that is about all.

I can deal with a couple seconds. My Shaw Direct receiver takes a second or two to bring up the guide :)

I'd prefer to get a DVR and not clog up my other recording devices ;)

Ice, I wouldn't just take the word of the most Anti Directv customer out there on the DVR. I would think that if it was as bad as Hemi stated you would see 1000's of threads on the subject. Is it slow, yes but not 10 seconds slow to bring up the guide. It might take a second or two but that is about all.
OK , Go get one Ice!:rolleyes:
Just don't say I didn't warn you.
Jag says they're good.

OK , Go get one Ice!:rolleyes:
Just don't say I didn't warn you.
Jag says their good.

I said they are fine for me. I never said they were great but said that they are OK.

Sorry but your view on Directv is very jaded and it is very hard to believe anything that you have to say about them.

That 10 second slow is just a problem with ONE of my DVRs and this is the first time this has been happening.

I just went and tested the guide on my R16 and it took between 1 and 2 seconds for the guide to come up.

I guess I'm use to Dish where I had no contract since I owned my equipment (both times I subbed to them) so I dont want to get a 2 year agreement and end up with a crappy receiver. :)

Now that I think about it, I've never had a contract with a sat provider and I've had DIsh, Bell & Starchoice (Shaw Direct) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)