Thinking about signing up for DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you are thinking about moving back to D*, BE CAREFUL Here is my nightmare:

On Dec 30th I call customer service because I received an e-mail and mailing that they wanted me back as a customer. I left them over 15 months ago for Dish. I told the rep on the phone, I wanted the same equipment I had with Dish or I would not return. He told me it would be $514.00 in equipment charges. I told him that was unacceptable and went to end the call. He told me "let me talk to my supervisor and see what I can do."

He came back on the line and said the equipment fee would be $234.84 for everything I wanted. I asked, "This includes everything I wanted, 1 HD Receiver, 2 High Def DVR's and 1 Std Def Receiver" He said, YES!

I was then transferred to order validation and she read the order back to me. When she got to the DVR's she did not say HD DVR's, just DVR's. I ask her, "The DVR's are to be High Def?" "YES, they are." she replied. She Read the order back, same thing, I corrected her again and said, "HIGH DEF", she said yes. I completed the order and scheduled the appointment, then hung up.

When the order showed up on the web site, it again said "DirecTV DVR", so I called the number they gave me and asked, about the DVR's. The Rep Said they were STANDRD DEF DVR's and if I wanted the High Def DVR's it would be $300 more. I said the was unacceptable and was transferred back to the department that took the order. She repeated the same thing, that it would be $300 more for HD DVR’s and I asked to speak to a supervisor.

When the supervisor came on the phone, she said; "I sorry for the misunderstanding but if you want the HD DVR's it will be $300.00 more!!!!!" This was no misunderstanding, it was "bait and switch", they knew what was going on. I repeated 4 times "High Def DVR" and each time the sales rep and the verifier confirmed it back, that yes the DVR’s would be High Definition.

What seems to going on here is to wait until the installer came out, installed the new equipment and I signed the work order. Then I would be forced to get the Upgrade at $300 more or accept STD DEF DVR service with a 2 year commitment when I wanted and ordered "High Def DVR Service." Only because I called back to check and knew enough about what I was ordering was I able to cancel the order prior to be placed in that situation.

Update: If you are thinking about moving back to D*, BE CAREFUL Here is my nightmare:

Amanda from Corporate call me this morning. She does not know why it happend and they plan to address that. She is working to get me installed.....Stay tuned....

A definate plus that 1) Someone did call, 2) they still seem to want me back, 3) they are working to see what they can do :)

Update: If you are thinking about moving back to D*, BE CAREFUL Here is my nightmare:

Amanda from Corporate call me this morning. She does not know why it happend and they plan to address that. She is working to get me installed.....Stay tuned

Are they going to make it right and give you the HD-DVRs?

DirecTV is making it right

Are they going to make it right and give you the HD-DVRs?

Based on the order status on the site, YES :up, 1 HD Receiver, 2 HD DVR's, 1 STD Def Receiver, and all the price range the "Salesan???" quoted me. Very Happy :clap, a shame that it took this much effort to do it. I do like the Service better than Dish.

Scheduled for install a week from tomorrow, will update.

Update on the Bait and Switch

Based on the order status on the site, YES :up, 1 HD Receiver, 2 HD DVR's, 1 STD Def Receiver, and all the price range the "Salesman???" quoted me. Very Happy :clap, a shame that it took this much effort to do it. I do like the Service better than Dish.

Scheduled for install a week from tomorrow, will update.

Here is the Real Deal:

1 HD Receiver 0.00, 1 HD DVR Receiver $199, 1 HD DVR Receiver $299, 1 Standard Def Receiver 0.00, Professional Install 0.00 for 6 Boxes (Using 2 of my old Phillips DVR's), New 5 LNB Dish, 8 way switch, California Sales Tax, Order Processing Fee 19.95:

Equipment Total: $556.55

Credit for $10.00 off for 10 months ($100.00) Paid in one sum
Credit For $10.00 off for 12 months ($120.00) Paid in one sum

Total upfront Equipment Cost $336.55
I had paid $234.84, leaving a new total due of 101.71.

Not anywhere close to the original deal, but I can live with it. :confused: And something I can sell it the wife :eek: I'd rather have the rebates applied to the equipment than receive them over a one year period anyway.

Still get HBO, SHO, MAX for 3 months free. I hope the original salesman is now selling Kool-aid on some street corner, but I rather doubt it.

The Customer Service Rep worked hard to do what she could. I don't know if I could have pushed harder. At the very least, SHE WAS HONEST and tried to make the numbers work.

So the bottom line is, I am going back to D* because of, 1) better picture quality, 2) HD channels that I watch, 3) Angles and Dodges baseball in HD, but beware when you deal with Directv they are now in the same league with Time Warner Cable and the others, you better know what is going on or you will get the SHAFT.

I don't beleive they really care, they only care about locking you in for 2 years. If they cared they would of given me the original deal as I was quoted.....and fired a Salesman. This is the same cost as if I had signed up from the Web Site, the only thing I got was the Programming Rebate paid in one lump sum and applied to the equipment order. Then they wonder why there is no customer loyalty any logner!!!!

The install is Friday, now let's see of billing follows the deal without more phone calls.

Last edited:
More proof for rule #1 in ANY business deal.

Always get things in writing to review (and take names and ID #'s) BEFORE you agree, sign or pay any money.

NEVER take anyones word even though most of the time it is simply a mis-quote or mis-understanding of the facts.

If you can't get it in writing; PASS and call another person.

One thing to remember, DirecTv is very interested in customer satisfaction and want to know about customer problems... If you can't get ahold of them let us know:)

just curious...do they outsource their customer service overseas?

The installers were out today: Customer Service was a winner again :) They went to my old address, lucky less than a mile away, order was wrong - missing one HD DVR. That said, the primary installer was the most professional person that I have had the pleasure to work with in a long time. He was EXCELLENT. Had everything up and running (6 receivers total) in about 1.5 hours, including the new dish.

I have to say the Picture quality is SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER than E*

Glad to be back :)

The $10 a month for 12 months is on all the packages right now, what they did give you was the other one of $10 a month for 10 months and looking at the rest you basicly got the new customer promotion with $100 off the cost, if you had waited another month you would have gotten a better deal on the hd dvr's that would have been better than what you were initialy quoted.

The $10 a month for 12 months is on all the packages right now, what they did give you was the other one of $10 a month for 10 months and looking at the rest you basicly got the new customer promotion with $100 off the cost, if you had waited another month you would have gotten a better deal on the hd dvr's that would have been better than what you were initialy quoted.

Actually the $10 for 12 months and $10 for 10 months deals are standard for returning subs. My wife had a D* account under her name a few years back then we switched to Comcast, a year later went to E* for their HD lineup. I first called D* as a returning sub, got the above right the way, but I decided to wait.

Now I am prepared to add D* to be side by side with our E* account, then once I add enough D* HDDVR's in our house we will switch entirely to D*. My guess is I can do so in about a year, which due to the discounts I get from both E* (after calling E* retention) and D* as a new sub, two combined accounts would only cost me $90/mo. for the next year.

However I will sign on with D* as a new sub, not a returning sub because the best deal I have gotten so far for a new sub is:

$99 for the first HDDVR after $100 instant rebate,
$20 off for 12 months,
$100 credit on the first and second monthly bills, making the first two months free,
Referral deal $5 off for 10 months,
Free Showtime for one year,
Free all movies packs for 3 months.

Sorry the $100 programming credit is no longer available. When I called last night the guy said he could give me that but I needed to confirm the other member's D* account number to do the referral deal so I had to call back.

Today I was told the $100 programming credit was replaced by the $100 price drop of HDDVR. Can't have both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)