thinking of buying a NEUSAT 9000 HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yea me too

Actually I like mine, there are so few channels that I haven't been able to get, and I do have most of them on my SD box that it doesn't bother me, if I had to complain about one thing...well first it would be no manual PID entry, after that there are a few times I can put in the manual information for a treasponder, get a good strong signal then push the scan button and nothing, that does bug me to no end, other then that as I said I am happy with the box.
Terry

Yea me too, Terry...
I like it pretty well, I knew what I was getting from all the comments here before I even purchased it. All in all it's a nice receiver, it has short comings but what receiver doesn't? So far, I've been lucky not to have seen or observed many of the complaints against it. Other than it missing a few manual entries like the PID information. The RCA ports even work on this unit so maybe I got lucky.....

I guess i messed up!you was right about the satellite being selected!Now i have two good working receivers.Now comes to finding out which one will be my main one to use.The neusat remote dose work better than the sat hawks.UPDATE! Unless i can find a easy way to add 83w AMC9 to the satellite list the sat hawk is going to be my main receiver.Or maybe my i can slave the Neusat to the sat hawk but would like to set up other recever to another part of the house.

Last edited:
Hi

I guess i messed up!you was right about the satellite being selected!Now i have two good working receivers.Now comes to finding out which one will be my main one to use.The neusat remote dose work better than the sat hawks.UPDATE! Unless i can find a easy way to add 83w AMC9 to the satellite list the sat hawk is going to be my main receiver.Or maybe my i can slave the Neusat to the sat hawk but would like to set up other recever to another part of the house.

I will try to add the new satellites and rename to see if that is possible. Yes I figured out the check selects the satellite, just high lighting it allows you to change the settings only. It does not select the satellite for scanning, if no check then no signal...Found that out in a hurry! LOL! Putting the Check on the Satellite Name is actually what selects it for use...Otherwise it's just another name on the list..

My Neusat is Slaved to my Dreambox. I just use the Loop out on the Dreambox and put it in Deep Standby when I want to use the Neusat. It works well like that so far, has not given me any issues...

Last edited:
No Luck

StanleyJohn no luck as of right now on adding a satellite other than User Defined. I have not figured out a way to edit or rename either BUT I have not given up. I am guessing they intended to have a channel editor if the receiver caught on. They really never gave it a chance the way I see it...I can't find any channel editors for the 9000, Channel Master does not support it and they have not updated Channel Master in a couple of years and lord knows why not. We should be able to edit the Satellites or add new ones...I just need to sit back and work on that some more...

It would be really Nice for somebody to make a channel editor that was universal and would work with most FTA receivers. From the posts here I would think someone here is smart enough and could do that with ease.

Ironsides,

good suggestions but keep in mind that in order for any stb to be supported in any editor, the program author needs ALL of the specific stb's to work with. The same goes for CM, Sharp C cannot update the program unless he first has the stb and the time to do it. I understand that the author of CM is one person and he has a job and family besides. I read this in his Sharp C forum, he addressed another person's comment with this remark. So then we must consider the user demand for this Neusat 9K, is it worth the time and effort to work it in to the editing program? :confused: We can only hope! :D

I dont really know how many firmware updates Neusat had before the support ended but my firmware was added around march of 2007.Does anyone know if any newer firmware updates changed the sat list and what about this firmware update i have heard about that changes the receiver to a captain??

Hi StanleyJohn

StanleyJohn, I have all the files to boot to Captain but My Neusat is Brandnew and I haven't done it. I also have the last 3rd party firmware for the Neusat but again I haven't used it. I am not seeing the problems others have so I don't see a need to change it.

My satlist includes around 30 odd sats just guessing. All I have done is gone in an edited the transponders and used the sat name close to the actual location of the sat I am wanting. Basically using the old name on the list but in some cases I don't have the correct location but it's close.

As for the Captain change, It has to be done correctly and is hard to change back.

You should talk With McGuyver, he has some idea on how this works.

Thanks Ironsides! I dont intend to upgrade firmware unless i really needed to.A question! im still not too sure how the motor finds the satellite but im guessing it looks at the position on the sat list and moves it to the sat that way.Say i need 83 west but closest sat on list is 82 w!will i have to manually have to move the motor an extra degree to get a lock and scan and after tps are added in my channel listing will motor still go to 82 or 83?

That question you will have to ask

Thanks Ironsides! I dont intend to upgrade firmware unless i really needed to.A question! im still not too sure how the motor finds the satellite but im guessing it looks at the position on the sat list and moves it to the sat that way.Say i need 83 west but closest sat on list is 82 w!will i have to manually have to move the motor an extra degree to get a lock and scan and after tps are added in my channel listing will motor still go to 82 or 83?

That's a question for McGuyver, as I am on a fixed dish with the Neusat and only use it for ku. My motorized I am using a Coolsat for Both KU and C-Band.

Tada!!! My Neusat came with only 3 sats in the list and the rest user defined. My F/ware is about 10 days older than Ironsides, go figure! The factory must've had a change of F/ware midstream production and the only one we find on the web is... is... errrr...SH*T

Neusat had about 15 3rd party updates B4 going Capt. It doesn't seem that the Neusat F/w's had any improvements, only the hacking process. Too bad we don't have a way to extract the system f/w from Ironsides, we'd be in better shape if we could. From what I experinced, the updates didn't update my sat list, still the same with only 3 sats.

The Captain f/ware has a populated sat list and is fairly current, everything works quite well except for the Blind scan, it scans in the channels very well and names them properly but the freq's are off quite a bit and the channels ARE NOT viewable, they won't come in. So I converted back and forth about 4 times to test the conversion methods and the functionality of both f/wares, I'm sticking with the Capt. The Neusat f/ware Blind scan feature doesn't allow time for the signal to lock and it quits early saying that no channel was found, the Capt has been slowed down to allow a lock on the signal, it works but doesn't work correctly with frequencies.

It's actually very easy to convert to Capt and back to Neusat, the problem is that you have to use the RS232 cable for some transfers and the USB for others. It's a long, long story but I got it figured out. I had a lot of difficulty at first due to poor instructions so I wrote my own set of instructions but I still need to append it with more details as I found more info concerning an issue with the recognition of the USB device.

I packaged up the Reverse conversion files and instructions in a ZIP file that is about 2.86 mb. The Neusat to Capt conversion is pretty straight forward but needs appending with instructions updates and one additional file for the USB issue which they overlooked.

Bits and pieces of this procedure were scattered over the internet so I'm putting it all together in a neat and easy package. I haven't had any issues converting either way. Therefore you shouldn't fear bricking your stb.

Last edited:
And for the motor commands vs the sat list,,, no it doesn't use the sat list, has nothing to do with it at all. the stb is dumb and can't recognize sat names or orbital postion numbers of the sats, instead it sees and only interacts with the frequencies and user settings that you assign each sat position.

It works like this, the motor has a digital scale embedded in a chip, it has about 28 pre-assigned position numbers reserved for assignment of satellite positions, all of the higher position numbers are reserved for user defined postions. some stb's have trouble communicationg with the preassigned numbers therefore the user must use the user defined numbers to store motor positions. Once the motor and dish are setup correctly, you then navigate the arc and seek various sats, then you scan each one, right? Ok, but when you locate a satellite and fine tune the position dead-on the sat, you must then tell the stb to "store" or "save" that position so that it can remember where it is. this is done by the stb communicating with the motor's digital scale, each incremental digit of the scale has a certain numeric value, the stb sees which one it is and stores that position when you tell it to by "store" that position. the communications are directly between the motor digital scale and the stb, never having to rely on a satellite list. Keep this in mind, if you ever need a satellite that is not in the list and you can't add anymore or don't know how, then you can use any unused sat in the current list. all you do is edit the TP's in the sat you choose, set it up like you would as if it was the actual sat and the stb and motor won't know the diff. Sat names and sat numbers don't mean squat to a stb, it has no way to differentiate them other than the frequencies.

This applies to C-band and Ku band both, if you run out of Ku band sats in your list, just use a C-band sat and change the TP's to the proper ones. Last thing, example; if you need the 83W but it's not in the list, just use let's say the 85W Ku band if it's not already in use, leave the name and number alone but change the TP's and aim the dish to the 83W, the stb doesn't care or does it know the diff as long as it sees and locks on the correct frequency for the 83W.... freq 11735 / polarity H / SR 4444 / FEC 3/4
This TP can be put into any satellite in the list and it will work but just remember what sat it is, this is usually easy by looking at the channel info on the TV screen.

Ok, this should help, hopefully... :)

Thanks McGuyver !Your info is a big help in understanding how the motor finds a satellite.Maybe you can answer this question!When blind scanning i get a failed scan on some TPs!is this because the tp isnt active or in use?.

Failed scans are common, sometimes errors but mostly because there's no channels on the frequency even though it's active. It could be that the broadcaster isn't broadcasting at the time you scan so the stb sees nothing and says it failed. Don't freek out over the verbage either, not all stbs use the word "failed", it's just their way of telling you what I just said :)

EDIT: it could also be that there's no signal or the stb doesn't lock onto the signal fast enough. If you're talking about the Neusat, I found the same thing on every Blind scan using the Neusat f/ware. This is why I'm using the Capt. I think this is the answer you were looking for, right?

hmmm

You guys are having troubles with Blind Scans and seriously, I haven't seen that. Every sat I have scanned, now total of 4 all the channels come in but for the ones that require manual entry. They should have made a way to back up the firmware on this thing, I could have sent you guys a copy of mine....but still blind scan depends a lot on different things, not just the receiver but lnbf and a couple of other things..

Failed scans are common, sometimes errors but mostly because there's no channels on the frequency even though it's active. It could be that the broadcaster isn't broadcasting at the time you scan so the stb sees nothing and says it failed. Don't freek out over the verbage either, not all stbs use the word "failed", it's just their way of telling you what I just said :)

EDIT: it could also be that there's no signal or the stb doesn't lock onto the signal fast enough. If you're talking about the Neusat, I found the same thing on every Blind scan using the Neusat f/ware. This is why I'm using the Capt. I think this is the answer you were looking for, right?

At the moment im using the Sat Hawk to blind scan!its raining pretty hard here!dont know if that could effect a scan.Planning on taking all FTA stuff i find on putting them in differant favorite folders.To make it easier to find later.I am amazed at the volume of FTA stuff up there and i still have many satellites to scan.Its looking like i can scan most of the satellites on the arc!So far my range is from 30w to around 130w.

rain fade

Rain could cause a drop in Q and that could cause you some drops in channels on a Blind Scan on weaker transponders. So yes Rain could cause a problem..Blind Scan depends on the receiver, the lnbf, the skew, frequency, and the quality.

Don't rub it in, it hurts! LOL

You guys are having troubles with Blind Scans and seriously, I haven't seen that. Every sat I have scanned, now total of 4 all the channels come in but for the ones that require manual entry. They should have made a way to back up the firmware on this thing, I could have sent you guys a copy of mine....but still blind scan depends a lot on different things, not just the receiver but lnbf and a couple of other things..

Did you guys have any luck?

Did you guys have any luck on channels or sats? I haven't as of yet but yesterday was a bit over the top for me...The more I read about it and look at it, I think they intended to have a channel editor to add sats or delete them..The fact is doesn't have a re-name option really bugs me...Even if they intended the box for hacking, the fact you can't add or rename satellites just blows me away. I could understand not having the PID more so than not having the ability to add or rename satellites. That just kills an otherwise good receiver...

read post no.51 ironsides! McGuyver gives ideas on how to modify the satellite list.I will be giving it a try maybe this weeked!Right now still scanning and setting up favorites on the Sathawk.The Neusat have a great pic and easy to use and i do have some plans for it.

Did some playing around with the 9000 and this is what i came up with.I couldnt find AMC9 so i switched to my sathawk to lock onto it then switched back to the 9000. I set up AMC9 RTN's TP on the users define on Sat list and saved.Did a scan on AMC9 and it found the TP and stored it in the channel list!RTV can in great.Turned unit off then on again and motor scanned for RTV found it then lost it!Looks like motor just passed over it.Maybe im doing something wrong but it seems that motor wont stop at right spot for the user define.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)